close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I scored at the thrift store.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frank4570, Oct 12, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I got 4 dress shirts for $2 each. They all look brand new. One is a really nice white van heusen buttoned down oxford. I also got an acceptable black blazer for $5. I like the charcoal better, but it was just a little too small. At least I know what size I wear in this stuff now.
    I'm having to dress like a grown-up now that I'm cold calling customers. At least until I have an established customer base.
    I've had a bunch of customers contact me over the last couple of days, must be the time of year or something.

Now I just have to learn to properly wear this stuff. I don't think I've worn a dress coat my whole life more than once or twice.

Can I wear a black coat with black dockers? Or do I need proper pants for that?

2. 2bgop

2bgop

A black jacket with black dockers is never going to look right. You really need some contrast if not in a suit.

3. skorper

skorper harborrat

See if you can find a blue blazer and a light brown one as well. They will present much better. As a general rule, the shirt should be a lighter color and the blazer a little darker, and the slacks a little darker still. Light colored slacks with a darker blazer is a nono. These rules all can be broken, but only after you have mastered the whole thing. Stick to the basics first. As far as fit, blazers should have a sleeve that goes down to a point just above the end of your shirt cuff. In other words, a tiny little bit of cuff should show when your arms are at rest, and the blazer should not bind around your waist when buttoned in the front. If you are wearing a tie, regular collars are great. If you're wearing the blazer without a tie I find that button down collars work best. A pair of black dress shoes will go with anything and are always a safe bet.

4. frank4570

frank4570

Thanks for the advice, very useful.

So I would be ok with a light shirt, charcoal blazer, and black pants? I just need to find the charcoal blazer.

So what can I do with the black blazer?

5. skorper

skorper harborrat

I would save the black blazer for a funeral. Wouldn't wear it in the sales field. The light shirt, charcoal blazer and black pants would be fine.

6. frank4570

frank4570

Ok, I'll see what I can find tomorrow. Once I've found what works for me, I'll just buy what I need.

Charcoal, brown, and blue. I don't want to look like I'm wearing the same outfit every day.

7. skorper

skorper harborrat

Yep. Try to get the blazers in solid colors, then you can go wild with the shirts. Once you have the blazers then pick out some slacks with the blazers in hand. Get two pairs to go with each jacket. Pick a dark grey and the black to go with the charcoal jacket, two pairs of blue that are as dark or darker than the blue jacket and two pairs of browns that are as dark or darker as the brown jacket.

8. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

I heart thrift stores with all of my miserly little soul.

I have scored some big name items for actual pennies on the dollar...I won't bore you with the brands, but a little comparative online shopping shows that dress I bought for $4.00 retailed for $150.00 in the beginning...same with $50.00 Levis, mine were $3.00, and so forth and so on...

I am lucky to have a a Goodwill in an area that has weekend millionaires who drop off their clothing the second it becomes passé...

That, and I have four kids and live in the woods...one of whom is a 14 year old boy who I can HEAR growing...saves me a bundle. I leave the buying of new clothing to overindulgent grandparents (exceptions: underwear, socks, and shoes. Always new.)

As far as the black jacket/black pants question, that was already addressed by the fashion mavens of GT. :supergrin: Except for this - don't wear blue and black together. Constantly have to remind Mr. GKL of this, but he gets a pass, since he's colorblind anyway.

9. skorper

skorper harborrat

And with the blue / grey / brown combinations you can get your contrast from the shirts. Much cheaper to do it that way. White shirts are great, and try a red or a light pastel yellow or beige. Patterns on shirts are cool as long as they don't conflict with a pattern on the jacket. Solid color jackets are the safe way to go.

10. frizz

frizz

Good for you, Frank! But why were you picking up chicks in a thrift store?

:laughing:

11. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

Just a side note, and a silly one, but chicks dig it when you wear "girly" colors in your shirt...

Pink, turquoise, aqua, pale yellow, purple, and burgundy are FAR more interesting and appealing than your usual "man-safe" colors of white, gray, navy, etc.

Just a thought.

If you want ideas of mixing and matching, you can check out online catalogs such as J. Crew (more modern) and L.L. Bean (more traditional) to get an idea of what goes with what. Hope this helps.

Fashion is a pain in the ***, isn't it?

12. frank4570

frank4570

For the same reason I hunt deer in the oak stands, because that's where they are.

13. frank4570

frank4570

I'm actually going to hard-copy this thread and post it on my wall with my other reference materials.
    NSFW language.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes"]MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - THRIFT SHOP FEAT. WANZ (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube[/ame]

14. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

agreed.

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

A nice pair of blue jeans. New ones. Denim trousers. Or tan khakis.

I've got a nice black velvet jacket. Very chic.

16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

My wife buys all of her clothes at a really nice charity thrift store. Almost all of their stuff is women's clothing, nice stuff and some of it never worn. She pays pennies on the dollar. I wish there were stores like that for men, but I think we tend to wear something until it's thrashed.

17. frank4570

frank4570

Today I got some more shirts and 2 navy blazers. I stopped by the dry cleaners to get them fitted and cleaned. I am sure I have exhausted the thrift stores of this area of nice clothes that fit me. Maybe I'll hit the city stores as I work my trade.
    Eventually I'll just have buy stuff, but I will put that off for as long as I can.

18. frank4570

frank4570

I'll ask my girlfriend if she agrees.

19. gunowner1

gunowner1

I love Goodwill. There are three of them within twenty minutes of my house. It's easy for me, being 5' 5" tall, I get all the newer stuff some fifteen year old kid outgrew.LOL

20. Bruce H

Bruce H

Try really loud hawaiian shirts with huge bell bottoms. Wear something that is instantly recognizable. Very few remember the cookie cutter clothing everybody wears because some joker said that was the proper way to dress. Word of mouth spreads faster if you are unique with your own business.