close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I returned my iPad 3

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Deanster, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

As you all know, I'm a big gadget geek, and I'm a sucker for the latest/greatest toys.

I bought the iPad the day it came out, and the iPad 2 also. I'd pre-ordered an iPad 3 (which is where things started to go wrong), and ended up returning it in the 14-day trial period, and have gone back to my iPad 2. Here's why:

My iPad2 3G, 32gigs is more or less my constant companion. It's my calendar, my quick-reference guide, my kindle reader, my primary e-mail device etc. etc.

My only real complaint about the iPad 2 is the screen resolution is a little low when I'm reading a lot on it. Not hideous, but it's visibly un-sharp, and its a little hard on my eyes eventually.

I was very much looking forward to the iPad 3 screen - the retina display in my iPhone looks amazing, and bringing that to the iPad seemed like a big win. I knew the iPad 3 would be a tad heavier and thicker, but it didn't seem like a big deal relative to the LTE wireless, and the high-resolution screen.

However, in the end, I took the iPad 3 back, and have gone back to my iPad 2. Turns out that despite a ton of marketing, AT&T isn't actually offering LTE in Seattle yet. My fault for not checking more-carefully - I knew they were calling their network '4G' in places they didn't yet have LTE, but didn't really chase it down. The retina display was indeed gorgeous, but I didn't always notice the difference - the iPad 2 display is truly excellent, and in times when I *wasn't* using it as a reader, the retina display didn't make much difference except to say 'hey, that's really sharp!'

The real deal-killers were a VERY long charging time, and the extra weight/thickness.

Charging the iPad 3 took forever - up to 5 hours on its own charger, 9-10 attached to a Mac laptop port, and apparently never on other USB chargers. The battery is 70% larger than that on an iPad 2, and charging times seem to have gone up in direct proportion.

The extra weight wasn't really all that big a deal, but I'd been holding my iPad 2 several times a day for a year, and every time I picked up the iPad 3, my instant reaction was 'hey, that's kinda thick and heavy!'. The exact opposite of my iPad 2, where every time I pick it up, even after a year, my reaction is 'wow, that's amazingly thin!'.

I also ended up feeling a bit jacked because I'd ordered the AT&T model the first day they were taking pre-orders, and Verizon announced a couple days later that they were including free WiFi hotspot capability on their iPad 3 plans. AT&T didn't follow suit, so I ended up really wishing I had the Verizon model.

All of that combined into a returned iPad 3. I really want the retina screen and LTE capability. Those were more than enough to make the upgrade worthwhile, all other things equal. However, double charging times and feeling like it's a pudgy brick change the equation substantially.

I'm considering trying one of the Verizon iPad 3 models, but for the moment, I'm pretty happy with my iPad 2. I may crack sometime this year, or wait for the iPad 4. We'll just have to see.

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm kind of on the "every other" schedule with apple. I had a 3GS and upgraded to a 4s. I'll keep my ipad2 until the 4 comes out. The upgrades are minimal unless you skip a generation.

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Cant say as I blame you. I have a II and there is just nothing exciting about a new IPAD for me.

IPAD is good for some things, just the ultra-portability of it, but too compromised to be a serious workstation. then again it wasnt designed for that.

I got mine for free, actually a base model and swapped it at an Apple store, adding a few things so I only have a couple hundred bucks into it. And glad it worked out that way, because if I had spent 729 bucks plus tax and a smart cover, I would have been seriously disappointed.

It does a few cool things, like the CamScanner app, but that also works on my IpOd Touch. ITs got great battery life and its a great consumption platform for the passive.

But I'd really like a MAcBook Air.

4. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Deanster:

Thanks for your review of the IPad 3. I plan on buying one (own none to date) and was not aware of the ATT/Verizon variation. That info alone made your post a most useful one for me.

One question; which memory size should I purchase? I'll be storing some photos on the device, otherwise it will be used as a travel computer.

Also, does it have GPS or is there an ap for that?

:wavey:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Android or iPad, the rule is, always go 1 step larger than what you think you will need. . .

6. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

If that's all...then the 16 will be WAAAAAAY more than enough for you. You'd probably be fine with an 8 gig if they made one.

7. Tsx

Tsx

I love the LTE speeds on my iPad3, 39mb download, it's faster than my home Internet.

8. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

What about the reports of poor Wi-Fi connectivity in the 3?

9. Jefs

Jefs CLM

I went from the iPad 1 AT&T model with the most GB (I believe it was 64GB) to the iPad 3 AT&T with 64GB and am really impressed with the screen resolution when reading text. I can't believe how easily these aged eyes can read really small text on this device. I'm not a hardcore user and can't speak to its speed or other merits/demerits and I just bought it based on a favorable review in the WSJ and the fact that my sister told me my niece and nephew would appreciate receiving the original should I buy the new. I'm typing this on my laptop, but I read GT on the iPad 3 because the tiny text is just so sharp and incredibly easy to read. I dig it.

10. Deanster

IMHO, 16 is fine if you arent putting much music/video on it. I keep ~7 gigs of music and 15 of movies/tv shows for when I'm traveling. I had a 64gig original iPad, and all I did was load more video than I could possibly watch. Decided it wasn't worth the extra for a little more video selection.

The 3G/LTE models have gps, and navigating on that big screen is great, especially for the 'shotgun' seat.

Not knocking the 3, though I now think you should only get the AT&T model if Verizon just isn't a workable option.

11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I've been thinking about getting an iPad 2, not the 3, for just the reasons you mentioned. I'm wanting the wi-fi only version. I pretty much only use it for couch web browsing or listening to internet radio. Had a Galaxy Tab for that but gave it away to someone who needed it more than I did.

Seems like the iPad 2 16 mb wi-fi is $399 no matter where you buy so guess I need to decide whether to walk in to Walmart & pick one up or buy it from the Apple store on line.

12. Deanster

13. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Thanks, I'll check that out!

14. CLena88

CLena88

It all depends on your area. Verizon has the better network, but if you are in an area where ATT has LTE, it works at the same level. If you don't or travel a lot, then Verizon is the better option for 4g. Blanket stating that ATT is only worth it if Verizon doesn't work isn't really a fair blanket statement.

That being said, the 16 is the most popular one, and fine for most people. Just remember that a tablet doesn't replace a real computer.

15. *ASH*

*ASH* RRRDS

Deanster >>?? the original gansta applehead ??? RETURNED IPAD3 ????

THE WORLD WILL NOW END .:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::wavey:

[​IMG]