I respect the Law and Law Enforcement...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gimp, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

I am not posting because I do not like cops, or am pissed because I got a ticket, or want to know how to beat the ticket, don't like no-knock warrants or DUI checkpoints, I have NO problems with law enforcement doing the job. We need you. I respect you and am grateful for your service. But yeah...I have a problem, and you are all as aware of it as I am. It's all over the internet, the unjustified violence and abuse of authority. I feel no need to post videos or manifestos, I just want to say this to you all.

We are not your enemies, we are your neighbors. You are not OUR enemies...you are integral parts of our communities and we NEED you. We know this and we respect you for the job you do!

Please, as you do that job, keep this in mind? The fed is arming the police with military weapons; that's a bit frightening, but by all means use them if you need to for your own safety or for ours. Just please don't let carrying weapons of war make you think you are at war! Not with us! We're you're people...you're our kin, our neighbors, and the guardians we count on.

With great respect...
    Eric Lee
    "gimp"

Edit by RussP: In later posts, Gimp gave the background for this thread:
    Please consider this when responding.

Thanks...

RussP

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  2. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

Yes...I wrote this because I saw yet another very disturbing video this morning...a video of the exceptions, not the majority, but a video that frightens me. You're all probably see it or its equivalent. I'm asking you to understand that these videos really are all over, and anyone you come in contact with may act fearful, for having recently seen one. Please be patient with us; we're all a little afraid.
    Thanks

3. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I was literally popping popcorn as I clicked on this link...

Randy

JAS104, ancient_serpent and TBO like this.
  4. OGW

OGW SAF

Supper?

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Gimp, do you own a gun?

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

6. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Well, I for one am comforted that the guy with the avatar containing a symbol of the most foul regimes to ever have existed in modern times..is on our side.

Were I a betting man, I'd think that the OP is a 1% supporter or member.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. officer196

officer196

And you didn't post the popcorn avatar or offer anyone else any.....I'm shocked you wasted such as opportunity.

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Gimp,

I am not posting because I do not like gun owners, or am pissed because I got a flashed or scared by an AR at Starbucks, or want to know how to tell a good citizen from a bad citizen with a gun, don't like drive by shootings or armed trespassers, I have NO problems with gun owing citizens. We need you. I respect you and am grateful for your service. But yeah...I have a problem, and you are all as aware of it as I am. It's all over the internet, the unjustified violence and abuse of firearms by citizens. I feel no need to post videos or manifestos, I just want to say this to you all.

We are not your enemies, we are your neighbors. You are not OUR enemies...you are integral parts of our communities and we NEED you. We know this and we respect you for the job you do!

Please, as you do that job, keep this in mind? There are citizens arming with military weapons; that's a bit frightening, but by all means use them if you need to for your own safety or for ours. Just please don't let carrying weapons of war make you think you are at war! Not with us! We're you're people...you're our kin, our neighbors, and the guardians we count on.

:popcorn:

9. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Deleted due to the extremely obvious trolling...

10. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

WE know citizens aren't our enemies. WE have never said otherwise. WE are citizens ourselves, so we can't consider citizens our enemies. But on an almost daily basis someone is posting something on the internet telling us that WE treat people as our enemy. WE are the ones constantly being reminded who pays our salary. WE are the ones who are attacked without warning, and then Monday morning quarterbacked when WE have to act. WE are the ones inundated with posts by people who claim to respect us, then go on to tell us how terrible a job we do. Does that sound familiar? It actually sounds like you have little to no respect for us, which is fine. But don't pretend that you do. The whole "I like cops, BUT...." bit has gotten old.

For every "scary" video you have seen of an officer doing what you feel is wrong, WE could show you a hundred of an officer simply trying to do their job, and being injured or killed for it. If I said I was scared of all non-cop citizens because of the horrors I've seen on video, you'd tell me not to judge everyone based on the actions of a few, and you'd think I was weak minded and foolish. Yet you watch a few videos, and now claim to be scared. Huhm. Funny how that works.

Each and every peace officer is a free thinking, free willed human being, who makes his/her own decisions based on their circumstance and situation. Yet you come on here and clump all of us together. The intelligent man bases his beliefs on personal experience. And if he doesn't have that personal experience, he keeps an open mind. The ignorant man allows other to tell him how to feel and think. If you haven't had a bad experience with a cop, then why would you be scared? Do you get equally as scared when you watch a television show?

To this day I can count on one hand how often an officer has attacked someone unprovoked and violated their civil rights. And that's videos, as I've NEVER seen an officer use unnecessary/illegal force in person.Just because someone "feels" their rights have been violated, doesn't make it so. Just because someone "feels" that a trained professional used too much force, doesn't make it so. Force is NEVER pretty. If you aren't versed in hand to hand fighting, then you can't possibly understand how hard it is to gain compliance from someone who doesn't want to go to jail.

The reality is that local peace officers are the least "militarized" that they've/we've ever been. The fact that you believe otherwise shows how easily your opinion is swayed and how ignorant you are on the subject. If you truly believe that, then you lead myself and anyone else who reads this to believe that you have little to no experience with weapons and are simply buying into the media hysteria and hype.

In decades past, cops had access to Thompson submachine guns and BARs. And they used them freely.I have a semi automatic AR15, the same exact gun that anyone can buy. The same exact gun that open carry activists have been trotting around with for shock value. And before that I had a semi automatic Mini-14, -aka- the jamomatic -aka- the one shot wonder. My handgun shoots Federal Hydroshock. Is that military issue? The last I heard it was not.

There is nothing "militarized" about my handgun (Glock 22), my rifle (semi auto Bushmaster AR15), or my shotgun (Remington 870). My car (Ford Taurus) certainly isn't military like. Neither are my Streamlight flashlights. My body armor, while certainly uncomfortable enough and ill-fitted enough to be government issues, was bought at a local supply store, and is not the type issued to our military.

I certainly wish I could be as comfortable on a daily basis as our servicemen. I'd love to be able to wear TDUs. Instead I wear polyester dress slacks and shirt.

So, WHAT EXACTLY is so "militarized" about peace officers? Please be specific.

11. Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

I don't see unjustified abuse and violence 'all over the internet'.

There is a war on. When a group that chants 'pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon' gets a spot on the stage with a major presidential candidate it's time to be worried.

If you look at the numbers the police shoot and kill as opposed to being killed themselves at about a 4:1 ratio.

I think that ratio should be much higher.

seanmac45 and Newcop761 like this.
  12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Unlike the OP I don’t have to rely on the news or the Internet I can simply recall first hand experience of the times I was attacked, and on one occasion nearly killed by a citizen. During the course of my career I can recall several instances of citizens trying to kill me.

So tell me Gimp, how should I feel about citizens?

seanmac45, Newcop761 and TBO like this.
  13. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Most of the videos I see on the internet are perfectly legal uses of force triggered by people who think they have rights they do not have, that think they can resist lawful commands and are forced to comply with about as little force as necessary.

Especially the early ones that touched off some of the most famous protest movements lately.

The outrage is based on ignorance of the law, not excessive brutality, and as such is more or less at least a self fulfilling prophesy if not a vicious cycle, leading to more outrage and increasing the likelihood of more common uses of necessary and legal force.

People squealing may tug at the heart strings, but a case of excessive force it does not make by itself.

Randy

IndyGunFreak and seanmac45 like this.
  14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Working late, holding me over until dinner.

Randy

15. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Message deleted after explanation...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Newcop761 and cowboywannabe like this.
  16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I know a tad of Gimp's history; we've talked before. Don't be too harsh on him, guys, and don't go looking for a forked tongue behind the post.

For myself, I'm just taking what he posted at face value. And if you read just what's written, it isn't so bad, is it?

NMG26 likes this.
  17. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

I do. I pray any officer I come into questionable contact with makes clear that he IS an officer of the law...the last thing I'd want to do is shoot one of you.
    I have and I carry a gun because there are bad people in the world and I hope to maximize my chances of surviving them and to offer my wife that same chance. Every day I also pray that I won't encounter that need.
    I offered a message of support, and a plea for reason and I have no intention of getting in a pissing match. I spoke with respect. If I'm out of place, I'm sorry; I was upset ... and the lighthearted dismissal I see in this thread does not reassure me.

18. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

I posted in haste...I was upset. I already have reason to be fearful, you know.
    I've apologized (for what, I'm still not sure.) I'll answer Dragoon and leave this alone henceforth.

19. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

I'm sorry for that. Want to trade stories? I was dragged out of my front door and crippled by five armed officers responding to second hand information and arriving in a temper fit because they'd been given a wrong address. I still can't walk more than a quarter mile. I can no longer play guitar and my typing has been reduced from 95 wpm to 22.
    Seven reconstructive surgeries to my left shoulder, six to my write and an *attempt* to repair my spine. I'm told the damage to my wrist tendons is irrepairable...all because I answered an armed man in plainclothes with a gun in his hand when he said "Step outside" with a mild "Who are you?"
    How should I feel about cops?
    I feel that particular group was out of line. Just them. I came here peacefully, respectfully (and as I've been informed, in the wrong place, yes) to extend an olive branch and a reminder that we are not your enemy. I meant every word I said in all sincerity. We don't WANT to be your enemy.
    But the balance of power is clear...I'm sorry if I insulted anyone; I just hoped for a little understanding of the fear all this new military armament engenders in the law-abiding citizenry.

I'll be going now.

20. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

Thank you for that.