close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I *REALLY* Want This 7" Tablet

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Aug 6, 2012.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

• 32gig internal, expandable to 64gig
    • Super AMOLED display
    • 8MP rear facing/3MP front facing camera
    • GorillaGlass
    • ICS or Jellybean
    • 1.5 dual (or quad) core processor
    • 2gigs of RAM
    • MicroHDMI out
    • MicroUSB
    • (This is a stretch, but an integrated case like an OtterBox or one of those Casio Defender type phones)
    Why in the HELL is my tiny Droid Bionic so much faster than my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7? I mean...YES, I know why, but why in the hell do tablets, which are 3x the size of phones, have 1/2 the processing power?

Makes no sense. :steamed:

When y'all find a tablet that meets the specs of what I want, please PM me and let me know. :upeyes:

Apple fanboys, BE GONE! :tongueout:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Resqu2

Resqu2

I hear a certain "worlds most valuable tech company" is coming out with a mini tablet but I can't remember who they are :whistling:

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Goes to show Apple users are ignorant b/c they can't even comprehend a simple post. :rofl::tongueout::faint:

4. Resqu2

Resqu2

Guess Samsung didn't copy the important stuff :tongueout:

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Like the MicroSD card slot? :whistling:

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Actually, I believe that's "World's Most Valuable Company", period, that is coming out with the mini tablet with retina display.

7. Resqu2

Resqu2

I never needed one myself, you keep looking for the perfect tablet and the other 78% of us will keep using ours that we already found :supergrin:

I'm just picking, I know you hate Apple but what don't you like about the new IPad? For a media consumption device I can't see it being any better, if you need a bunch of slots for this and that then you need a laptop. :wavey:

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

The single button is my 1st gripe.

Second is the app store.

Third would be...it's Apple and I hate their proprietary principles.

I enjoy the Android OS, and it keeps improving. It's super-customizable and fun to tinker with.

We have five laptops, a desktop, a Fire, Galaxy Tab, two Kindle devices, a Samsung Charge, Droid Bionic, and original Droid; I have no desire to bring an Apple "anything" into the picture. :)

9. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I like android over ios for the fact that I can install whatever app I want, not what apple wants me to install.

For example. Ios6 will not have a native YouTube app, their agreement has ended. Now it is up to apple to approve a YouTube app for ios, and if they don't want us to have it, they'll deny it.

10. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

As someone who has an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" tablet my biggest grip is the lack of a dedicated, physical home button.

Actually, there are technically 4 buttons on all iOS devices except the Apple tv- home, power, volume up, volume down. One MORE than my Samsung tablet.

I'll give you that Android has improved a LOT-but I still had to download Swiftkey to have a usable keyboard. I do prefer the Android quick menu- access to wifi, brightness, ect with a quick on screen button press.

The app store I'm ambivalent. I like the iOS app store but googles and amazons aren't bad at all.

Not sure what's so proprietary about apples iOS devices other than the app downloads. My Samsung is pretty locked down to other than side loading apps.

The YouTube app is horrible. Its never been updated. The Sarfari browser is so much better and what most people use to access YouTube.

Google is coming out with a YouTube app for iOS. Why would Apple block it? There's Google's gmail, google +, google translate, etc. apps in the app store. Google creates apps and they are available.

Most savvy iOS users disable YouTube in the settings to remove the app all together.

Nope. It will have the same resolution as the iPad 1 and iPad 2.

I don't see the point in having a rear camera in a tablet.

11. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

the company that started this whole tablet wave should be coming out with one that'll run smoother than any other ones.. now what is that company called? I just can't recall

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

My abacus needs some new apps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  13. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

The short answer is that the cost of your phone is heavily subsidized by your carrier, and the tablet is not.

The maker of the phone has a ~$600 budget for that little slice o' heaven, and 7" tablets need to have a larger screen, etc. in a ~$400 budget.

Apple manages to pull a substantial profit out of their $400/500 10" tablets, but everyone who's not making 15 million of a single item per quarter needs to try to make a profit on a 7" tablet in that same price range, and it's a business nightmare.

Thus, there's a swarm of seriously under-spec'd 7" tablets built to just barely eke out a teeny theoretical profit at those price points, and not a lot of quality hardware out there.

It's a serious shame - the 7" tablet is a good concept, and covers the space between a 4" phone and a 10" tablet quite nicely.

The 5" phone/tablet is also a good idea, and makes a great 'all-in-one' choice for people for whom their phone is their primary internet access tool. The Galaxy Note is doing very well, and has solid hardware, again because of the carrier subsidy situation.

14. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Steve Jobs was very much against a 7" tablet. Said 10" was the minimum a person needed for apps and surfing the web.
    Since his death the new in charge folks over there saw the popularity of the smaller ones and should be releasing their version soon.

I'm still not sure about 7" tablets. For everything but typing seems like they'd be great. Howevr you've gotta type in those boxes so I'll ahve to try one

15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I got the Kindle Fire to try out the 7" tablet, and it's fine. The touch targets are bigger than a phone, and it works fine.

IMHO, the beef Steve had boils down to the idea that there's no way to touch type on a pad smaller than 10" - I certainly see this on the Kindle Fire. It's too big to thumb-type in the horizontal mode, and too small for a full keyboard. However, a split keyboard solves a lot of that problem, and people are more-used to typing on on-screen keyboards.

The 7" has some issues, but it's a damned useful size, and will be a big market, IMHO.

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Apple usually puts the same processor in their tablets that's in their phones. You should try one of their tablets.

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I wish it were available on Verizon, but it's not. :crying:

You need to purchase Thumb Keyboard 4. IMHO, it's one of the best apps out there -- ever! :)

18. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Not true. The ipad gets the latest processor, and when the new iphone is released, it has a dumbed down version of that processor.

19. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Just buy a Nexus 7. Seriously. I got mine a couple weeks ago, rooted it the second day, and have been loving it ever since. For $250 it's so stupid cheap.

I had a rooted Nook Color and went with the Nexus rather than the Transformer TF700 because the 7" size is so handy. I can easily stick it in a pocket and don't have to carry a bag.

Did I mention that it's cheap? :supergrin:

A great tablet purchased today is better than a perfect tablet purchased next year.

--Apologies to Patton.

20. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Same here, I'm loving my Nexus 7 so far. The 7 inch size works a lot better for me and for the price of a single iPad I've upgraded through a Nook Color, Kindle Fire and now have the N7.

:thumbsup: