I really dislike the Olympics

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ElevatedThreat, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I have to say, I really dislike what the modern Olympics has turned into.

From the corruption and pay-to-play of IOC politics, to the over-hyped opening ceremonies (the goose-stepping Commie Clones of the Beijing games were the breaking point for me), to the many new modern non-sports (synchronized ribbon twirling? really?) that have been added, to the blood-doping "professional amateur" athletes, I just think the whole thing has lost its way.

And what genius selected a city with a warm Pacific maritime climate to host a Winter Games? Didn't they know that snow and ice were requirements? (Heck, they would have done better to have selected DC or Baltimore this year...)

So, does anyone else agree that this thing needs a reset? Let's go back to a simple athletes' parade to open the games, limit the competition to traditional core sports, and take all the modern hype and nonsense out of it.

Just shut up and run, wrestle, jump, and throw....

-ET

2. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I would say the same thing about the retard fest known as the Super Bowl

3. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

It's all been crap after the 1984 game. Oh, Mary Lou. You stole my heart!

4. RenoF250

RenoF250

I don't care about them no matter how they do them. Sports don't do anything for me.

5. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Agreed.

Just play the damned game already....

-ET

6. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I admire the dedication of the Olympic athletes but the IOC is a politically correct sham. I have no admiration at all for 95% of NFL players but I still like watching football.

7. rahrah12

rahrah12

I am mad because it is so hard to see anything televised nowadays...is it too much to ask to see things live...

8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

What you justifiably complain about is a combination of the corporatization and commercialization of almost every aspect of our lives. And people wonder why I don't watch TV?!:dunno::faint:

9. jstutman

jstutman Guest

I still think that the Hockey has not been tainted. It is unlike American hockey. The rules are in place for the best to win, not the best at who cries the most and beats up there opponent lol No fighting in olympic hockey

10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Say that to the thousands of the kids for whom the olympic athletes are the idols.
    Olympics are just as much commercial as many other things today.
    Every day I can see the small boys and girls skating and playing the hockey at the frozen ponds all over the place bragging about their idols.
    Try to keep things in the right perspective, as everything today is more or less commercially polluted.
    Even the freaking wars.
    Not many better icons around those days I guess.
    Of course it could be more simply, but than again - you need money to organize it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  11. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Ah, b-tch, b-tch, b-tch. C'mon. :wavey:

Athletics is about the only thing on TV that is not contrived, or at least less contrived.

Yeah, there's a lot of dumb stuff, but you can't like everything. I have not watched much so far, but did catch that route of the olympic torch. They showed some town where it was freezing cold and that former tennis star (can't remember her name) was carrying the torch. Now if zero degrees doesn't get your blood boiling, then nothing will.

Going pro was the best thing they ever did. If you're talking world competition, then I want to see the best against the best. If you want to see amateurs, go to the little league park. The infusion of European and African talent in the NBA makes for better competition in the summer games. Where else in hockey will you see guys like Forsberg, Jagr, and Selanne make the game interesting?

12. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

I don't watch anything leading up to it. I turn it on at exactly at the scheduled kick-off time. They are usually great games just don't watch the hype.

13. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

then don't pay attention to them

14. FLIPPER 348

oh, watch out for EVIL weed!!

...who is asking why Toronto was chosen??

15. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I think the opening ceremonies are done so as to engage the public to become part of the one-up-man-ship from the hosting cities. It seems, to me anyway, these cities all try to "out-do" the previous city's opening ceremonies, which unfortunately has become part of the modern Olympic games' phenomena.
    + 100 ... Didn't even watch it this year... "the Stupid bowl."

(Yes, I admit I did make it a point to catch some of the commercials on the internet afterward though. :whistling:)

17. Ffolkes

Ffolkes

It would be nice if, as a species, we could get past whether or not our young people can throw a stick further than a kid from another country.

18. FLIPPER 348

get past it?? Are you one of those nutty people who like it when they don't keep score in the kid's football / soccer games!

So you think it's the stupid bowl and did not watch it. Good for you! To bad though as it was a GREAT game.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  19. Glenn129

Glenn129

As much as I hate stuff like prowrestling I would prefer that over the Olympics. My wife loves to watch them.