GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Directiv 10-289
6,828 Posts
I think he was impatient reading the dipstick...
If you dump the oil into the rocker box.. the small drains meter the oil going back to the crankcase immediately. next time wait 10 min. and then read the dipstick ....:supergrin:

did you even read the other posts?

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts
did you even read the other posts?
Yes.
There was a lot of kidding about leaving the plug off, but nowhere did the OP say that was the reason, so I gave a serious response.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Once my dad and I decided to T-Tech the transmission on my old GMC pickup. We unhooked the cooling lines from the radiator and had a bucket for the old fluid and a two quart funnel hooked up to the inlet to pour new fluid into.

This whole mess was up on a hoist so we could cycle it though the gears. I started it up and the old fluid came out and it was the brownest most nasty transmission fluid we had ever seen!

But the fluid in the funnel never went down at all. Then the check gauges light came on and I discovered that there was zero oil pressure. We had unhooked the wrong lines and pumped out all the engine oil.:faint:

I got it shut down before it began to knock and it didn't seem to hurt it any.

·
Poikilotherm™
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I think he was impatient reading the dipstick...
If you dump the oil into the rocker box.. the small drains meter the oil going back to the crankcase immediately. next time wait 10 min. and then read the dipstick ....:supergrin:

I did assume(though I wasn't sure) I wouldn't get a correct reading by checking the dipstick as soon after pouring oil in.

Yes.
There was a lot of kidding about leaving the plug off, but nowhere did the OP say that was the reason, so I gave a serious response.

Seems like a few of you missed my later post. The oil pan drain plug was really cramping my style, but I found that I just cant get along without it.
I appreciate any serious response I can get in GNG :)rofl:) but this thread was all in fun. I did indeed forget to put the plug back in, and the sinking realization came to me just as I went to pull out the dipstick.

·
Poikilotherm™
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Once my dad and I decided to T-Tech the transmission on my old GMC pickup. We unhooked the cooling lines from the radiator and had a bucket for the old fluid and a two quart funnel hooked up to the inlet to pour new fluid into.

This whole mess was up on a hoist so we could cycle it though the gears. I started it up and the old fluid came out and it was the brownest most nasty transmission fluid we had ever seen!

But the fluid in the funnel never went down at all. Then the check gauges light came on and I discovered that there was zero oil pressure. We had unhooked the wrong lines and pumped out all the engine oil.:faint:

I got it shut down before it began to knock and it didn't seem to hurt it any.
:rofl::rofl: Whoops!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an old car like that, when the engine was rebuilt the shop put the wrong dip stick in. or maybe the wrong dip stick worked on the engine.

Same person used a hose clamp to keep the plug wires off the headers.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
LOL... So you put 5 quarts in that dissapeared and didn't figure out why it didn't read on the dipstick before adding more?

OOPS.

Well, as long as you aren't running around with extra oil in the car causing crank slap you should be fine. Proper levels of fluid are pretty important!

·
Poikilotherm™
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
LOL... So you put 5 quarts in that dissapeared and didn't figure out why it didn't read on the dipstick before adding more?

OOPS.

Well, as long as you aren't running around with extra oil in the car causing crank slap you should be fine. Proper levels of fluid are pretty important!
No lol, not that bad. :rofl:

only lost 5qts. then put the plug back in.

·
100% Infidel
2,490 Posts
MB 300SEL 6.9- 13 liter oil change (dry sump).

41 - 50 of 50 Posts