GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Directiv 10-289
6,828 Posts
I've been a mechanic for 30 years, changed oil on a thousand vehicles and i have never seen such a thing. If the drain plug is in place, it's GOT to show on t he dipstick (new oil is harder to see).
And there is the issue - read his later post.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Now ya have to buy two 10oz. bags of marshmallows just to make 1 batch of Rice Crispy Treats. Why can't they just charge extra? Somebody should get glasses though is my guess.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Anyone else ever had "this problem" after an oil change?
I had a '78 monte carlo that I went through a number of cheap motors (@$400 installed) with. One had the wrong year dipstick on it and it never registered any oil, so in my infinite teenage wisdom kept adding oil until the car would barely run and billowed white smoke out the exhaust.

The shop said they drained 13 qts out of the engine, a 305.

·
Raven
12,747 Posts
Look on the bright side. You've got plenty of MORON LUBE now. Isn't that the cry of 2a people nowadays? All that MORON LUBE has to be worth something to one of these gun guys.

:rofl:

·
Cross Member
4,771 Posts
Depends on the car. Lots of cars hold 10.5 quarts and more. Old Jags held eleven quarts, Duesenbergs held twelve quarts, and it cost me $326.00 to buy the Shell oil that Ferrari requires. I had to change the oil in an Enzo Ferrari. Yours probably aint one of these, is it?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
In my younger days...... One time I drained the oil and replaced the filter only to find out when I started it up it smoked to beat hell. OOPS! I drained the tranny fluid instead and added 5 more quarts to my oil. Who would have known that 10 quarts could make a really cool smokescreen? :whistling:

·
woo woo
30,320 Posts
The big inline engines do hold a bit of oil. IIRC our Bronco's 300 took 6 quarts, I could imagine a v12 or inline eight needing a bunch more.

·
Cross Member
4,771 Posts
The old Jag was an inline six. It was a giant oil pan with a little motor sitting on top. A lot of the old Maseratis, Ferraris, and such like that held a lot of oil in the dry sump tank. Duesenberg was an inline eight, with 420 cu in (For your youngsters that's seven litres).

·
Poikilotherm™
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Look on the bright side. You've got plenty of MORON LUBE now. Isn't that the cry of 2a people nowadays? All that MORON LUBE has to be worth something to one of these gun guys.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Depends on the car. Lots of cars hold 10.5 quarts and more. Old Jags held eleven quarts, Duesenbergs held twelve quarts, and it cost me $326.00 to buy the Shell oil that Ferrari requires. I had to change the oil in an Enzo Ferrari. Yours probably aint one of these, is it?
Mine ain't one o' those!

Did you work as a mechanic, or were all those your own cars? :wow:

Seems like a few of you missed my later post. The oil pan drain plug was really cramping my style, but I found that I just cant get along without it.

·
Poikilotherm™
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
In my younger days...... One time I drained the oil and replaced the filter only to find out when I started it up it smoked to beat hell. OOPS! I drained the tranny fluid instead and added 5 more quarts to my oil. Who would have known that 10 quarts could make a really cool smokescreen? :whistling:
:rofl::rofl:

I did have trouble finding both the drain plug, and filter.. glad I didn't do something like that. ( this was the first time changing oil in this type of car for me)

·
Cross Member
4,771 Posts
I worked for a large car collection (800 cars) for a number of years.

It is early in the morning and I didn't have anything clever to say, so I filled the page with a bunch of useless trivia.

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts
I've been a mechanic for 30 years, changed oil on a thousand vehicles and i have never seen such a thing. If the drain plug is in place, it's GOT to show on t he dipstick (new oil is harder to see).
I think he was impatient reading the dipstick...
If you dump the oil into the rocker box.. the small drains meter the oil going back to the crankcase immediately. next time wait 10 min. and then read the dipstick ....:supergrin:

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts
:rofl::rofl:

I did have trouble finding both the drain plug, and filter..
...This wasn't a Saturn (oil filter damn near unfindable...) was it ? ....:supergrin:

·
Glock-o-holic
488 Posts
I got a '08 Colorado, inline five, it takes six quarts. My dad has a F250 Super S*itty, not sure of the engine size(I'm not a ford man), but I have changed his oil and it takes seven.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,272 Posts
You have to fill it in the hole the dipstick resides in.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I was pouring the used oil back into the empty containers after my oil change yesterday. Got the last quart full and then knocked it over. Looked like BP set up shop on my driveway. I soaked as much of it up with paper towels as I could and then pressure washed the rest away. It still stained...

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
my camaro holds 8.6 quarts of full synthetic(only 8 actually come out when doing an oil change). 100$ for a freaking oil change from the dealership, needless to say i do my own.

·
B-Western Hero
1,240 Posts
My F350 PSD takes 15 quarts. :cowboy:

I changed oil in my daughter's old 1990 Buick Century last month and had a quite a time even finding the filter. I couldn't see a spin on sticking out anywhere, and after finally climbing underneath the thing, I found it's a canister style recessed into, and flush with, the bottom of the oil pan.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts