Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my hands on the new gen 5 19 and 17 today. I have all gen three glocks so I was worried about how the lack of finger grooves would feel. To my surprise I actually like the 19.5 better but not the 17.5. The 17 feels huge to me without finger grooves. My edc is a 17.3. Also the half moon cutout at the bottom of the grip is not an issue to me. My fingers don’t reach it on the 19.5. Anyone have similar results?

I’ll be saving money to get me a 19.5 here in the next few months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really like the 19.5. I need to learn to shoot them better. I'm not a great handgun shooter but I developed decent groups with my Gen 4 19s through a consistent grip, trigger, etc. Now that I have Gen 5s...I need to redevelop muscle memory for the Gen 5. A lot of people are able to transition well from one gen to another...or even one platform to another...but it takes me a bit to gain proficiency. I haven't held the 17.5...but then again I haven't been interested in the 17 since I've found my fondness for the 19.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I already owned the G17 and G19 in both Gen4 & Gen3, but was in a spending mood one day and bought both the G17 & G19 in Gen5, too.

I was concerned the front mag cutout would bother me with the G19Gen5 but after shooting it (now ~5K rounds) it's not bothering me, even though my pinky finger does indeed reach this G19Gen5 cutout with my normal grip.

My G17Gen3 already had the front cutout and it and the G17Gen5's cutouts are so low my pinky finger doesn't even reach those cutouts.

Now after owning and shooting the Gen3, Gen4, and Gen5 G17 & G19 guns, I'll still recommend either Gen to folks and they can base it on their personal preference. They all seem to shoot about the same to me. Personally, I like the no-finger-groove flat front of the Gen5, but I've done just fine with the Gen3 and Gen4 models with the finger-grooves.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I usually carry a 3rd gen.G17 and shoot pretty well with it.2 weeks ago a friend let me shoot his Gen.5 G17 for one mag and the accuracy was really bad.Something different with the trigger was throwing me off.So last week I had a friend shoot the gen.5 g17 who is a better shot than me and his accuracy was pretty bad too.I may just need to shoot the gen.5 a little more but so far I will stick with the gen.3

·
Registered
297 Posts
My Gen 2 G17 never felt solid in my hand until I installed the Talon Grips. Makes a big difference.
Talon grips are a great upgrade and I have had no issue with them coming loose or peeling off. I don't get were all that negative crap comes from towards Talon? If you install them properly you will never have a problem with them.
So I think some of these ass clowns install them with wd40 on there hands!!

·
M62/76
13,151 Posts
I’ve carried a Gen3 19 for years and it is one of my favorite handguns. I’ve always been a Gen3 guy as the finger grooves have never really bothered me and I have more experience shooting them than the other Generations.

As for the Gen5 I absolutely HATE the ambi slide-release...it’s an extra lever hanging off of the gun that I’ll never use. Has been kind-of a deal breaker for me thus far. But a friend of mine bought one last week and I got it in my hands the other day and I have to say that the Gen5 19 feels amazing in my hands so I’ll likely need to overlook the ambi SR and just buy one.

Reactions: MikeG36

·
Registered
360 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my Gen 5's, the 19.5 and 17,5 both are awesome, and for now my accuracy is better with the heavier bullets, 124gr, 147gr and 150gr I'm sure the lighter bullets will be better as I go along, Congrats on your new G-19.5, you're going to be a happy camper..

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
I couldn't happier with my Gen 5's, the 19.5 and 17,5 both are awesome, and for now my accuracy is better with the heavier bullets, 124gr, 147gr and 150gr I'm sure the lighter bullets will be better as I go along, Congrats on your new G-19.5, you're going to be a happy camper..
Funny, I've noticed the same thing in my 19.5. With 150gr HSTs I shot a sub 1" group @15Y a week or so ago. My 115gr FMJ BB groups were a pathetic 2.5 to 3.5 inches @15Y.

Reactions: RKLOMP
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.