I prefer to keep my Glock pretty much stock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gfive45, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

I tinkered with a new Gen 4 34 to fire wimpy Federal Champion ammunition for Action Pistol competition.

Lighter springs, polymer RSA. It never was 100%, close but a failure every 500 rounds or so.

Then I tried a 47021 ejector designed for Gen 5’s with OEM springs. All is well, not as good as a Gen 5 FS with breech face cut, but zero issues with my wimpy ammo (ha, if I could only buy it at 0.17 per round like in the good old days)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.
  2. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I leave my defensive guns stock, with the exception of Beretta 92 models. If they don't already come with the lighter hammer spring - I put one in. But, I use the factory "D" spring. I never go lighter.

On a Glock - I leave them "as is," except for a rubber grip. I got mine with night sights already installed.

I am sending 1 Glock off for some custom work - but it will only be a range toy. I don't plan to use it for defense

-JCN- likes this.

3. Dan Reiss

Dan Reiss

On my carry and home guns I put on night sights, a TLR-1, and a Magpul magwell.

On my range guns, I go a little wild with comps, rmr's, Zev slide... but some of those mess with reliability.

I know the argument about prosecutors... That's not really my reason for keeping those simple. More along the lines of it will possibly be evidence and I don't want to have it out of my possession with all the extra cash put into it.

-JCN- and ShipWreck like this.
  4. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, the G34 I am sending off to Taran Tactical will come back with a 3lb trigger. I don't wanna use that for self defense

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  5. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I'm telling ya, them 47021 ejectors are the jazz. My load is a 145 Summers Hi Tek at 930 fps. All of my gen 3's with an 11lbs recoil spring shot it fine but the ejection was weak. After switching to the 47021 ejectors, I was able to use the stock recoil springs and they spit brass about 6' to the right.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  6. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

don't understand why you'd spend 550 to 600 or more on a new Glock and then spend hundreds more to "upgrade." Might has well buy a stock SIG, Kimber or Beretta, which all shoot better out of the box.

7. BBMW

BBMW

There's nothing wrong with keeping the gun stock. It will probably function well if you do.

But keep in mind Glocks are very much made to a price point. From the very beginning they designed to easy and cheap to produce. So corners are cut. Glock has been VERY effective in doing this while being able to maintain reliability and accuracy. But some owners are willing to put more money into better quality parts. The obvious example of this are sights. It's almost a requirement for serious shooters to replace the cheap plastic stock sights. Maybe someone wants a higher quality aluminum trigger? Stainless steel guide rod? There are numerous examples. And this doesn't get into the concept of tuning. Tuning can be dangerous, because it gets into the realm of changes that can compromise reliability. But done right, it can make for a better shooting gun for a particular user.

glock1097, -JCN- and GlockyQ like this.
  8. sugerwater

sugerwater

On my 26's and 27, Meprolight night sights, Pearce pinky extension and grip plug with a G17 smooth trigger bar. G23 got the mepro's and smooth G17 trigger bar with a frame plug.

buster55 likes this.
  9. skl1

skl1

I've done night sights, and of course spent a fair amount of time converting all my coil springs into V shaped leaf springs and milling out various pockets in the slide and frame to mount them...

10. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

"QUOTE"
    and then spend hundreds more to "upgrade."

Oh, really? My G29 has a 3.1 lb trigger with no take up--100% reliable--cost &20.:dancing:

-JCN- likes this.
  11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Internally, I've only done 25 cent trigger jobs and added '-' connector to my 26. Got an extra power trigger spring in one of my 41's and AW Sig barrels in a pair of 35's.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  12. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

Very well said.
    Glock pistols are low-cost but very functional handguns intended for “average shooters”. I really like them because they work well and very easy to maintain, but I know they are far from “perfect”. The good news is that they are also very easy to customize or personalize without undermining its reliability, if you carefully select only high quality aftermarket parts and use them sensibly where appropriate.

-JCN- and Gfive45 like this.
  13. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

My G31 started off as purchasing the complete upper from a member here. I wanted it because the slide says G31. .357 on it.
    I brought my slide to a local gunsmith to get the slide cut for a red dot and had a window cut on top along with Black cerekote work. I purchased a New from Glock lower, installed Glock factory parts (trigger etc.) Added stainless pins, The locking block is a billet part from Lone Wolf and the DOT is a Holoson 407c in green. This G31 shoots super sweet 20200707_141909.jpg

BigMoneyGrip likes this.
  14. procharger1

procharger1

I only install night sites on my Glocks, however, I do have a Zev race connector in my G23 that I installed many years ago.

15. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

Talon grips, Ameriglo sights and the Tau SCD did the job for me.

GlockyQ, spectralhunter and mhl6493 like this.
  16. spectralhunter

spectralhunter

I just replaced the sights. On my carry gun I added a Tau striker control device. Trigger smooths out on its own after a few hundred rounds.

GlockyQ likes this.
  17. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime

To keep it stock depends on the model for me. My 26 is bone stock, but my 19 I heavily moded it myself and really enjoyed doing it. As far as reliability, it's still very reliable. Front sight came loose in idpa shoot. Blue loctite fixed that. That hump on lower rear grip was my issue on 19. The 26 and 17 the hump did not matter. To each his own. It was a lot of fun to mod it. I moded my dads 45acp glock too. My nieces boyfriend had me mod his 17. I prefer gen 3. Even if you screw up (I didn't) a new lower is not bad to purchase.

18. Troglodyte

Troglodyte

My G19 gen5 came with night sights, so I'm good there. And Dad taught me "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    So I'll shoot it stock for a while and see if anything really needs changing.

Jan R Whitaker likes this.
  19. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Mine is stock except for sights. It seems to me that those who have a particular purpose in mind for their modification have some success, while folks who change stuff just to be changing it often run into problems. That observation isn't hard and fast, but it seems like a recognizable trend.

20. mortonjl

mortonjl

Just picked up my 43x MOS even though it has a rail and optic ready I've decided to keep it stock. I'll pick up a 34 and mod it for the range.

-JCN- likes this.