close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I posted I bought a 2006 Yamaha Road Star

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by magnumize, Sep 7, 2006.

1. magnumize

magnumize bring it

In the non glock section and was talking about that I grew up rideing dirtbikes and 4 wheelers.I thought I could put what I learned from those off road bikes towards the Yamaha.The weight difference of course is amazing.The Road Star tips the scales at 700lbs,and you can feel every bit of it.Well anyway,I started off slowly,just crusieing on the backroads that I live on (not gravel).I was doing good,it felt wonderful getting out on a bike again.I never got over 40-45 mph,just taking it easy ya know.I was about 3 miles from my home and in the middle of a curve my front tire slightly got off the pavement and with my inexperence I could not stop it (me) going off the road and down into 6 foot ditch.The bike is fine,one small dent in the tank,1 small dent in the front fender and the turn signal bar is bent alittle,all easy fixes.But I took a beating,the worst being my left knee.Well anyway I just wanted to share my story with you guys,here is a pic of my knee.
    [​IMG]

2. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Were you wearing any longer, protective clotihng? It's pretty cool out so heat shouldn't be a problem. (Lex, KY)

3. magnumize

magnumize bring it

Blue jeans a shirt and helmet.The helmet has a few scratches on it now,I guess the scratches would be on my head without it.Oh yea the blue jeans were shredded,brand new pair to dang it LOL.

4. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Owwwwie!

Might want to consider some Draggin' jeans. Kevlar reinforced in the hips and knees. Don't look too bad (not the absolute coolest looking jeans, but certainly ok). It wouldn't help with impacts causing bruising, or worse, but it probably would have prevented your cut and abrasion injuries. www.dragginjeans.com

Sucks to hear that you and your new scoot got dinged up, even though it's not TOO bad. I'm a picky M-effer about my bikes, so I feel your pain with the dents.

And I am not trying to be a jerk or anything about your choice of bike, but man, that is one big chunk of metal you picked out. I'm not a huge guy myself, 5'8" and currently a fairly muscular 165, down from 180ish because I feel so much better on a bike when I'm more toned and have greater back and shoulder strenght. That's right, I get in shape for riding motorcycles, not for chicks. Freak=me. :)

Anyway, I was recently at some races with a friend who has a HD Electra Glide, probably 800+lbs. It was on a slight downhill on the sidestand side, and the stand had sunk in the grass a little. I could not get it up off the stand. :sad: I ran out of leg extension before I could get it upright. Embarassing too.

Those heavy cruisers are something else. Certainly a heck of a lot different than a dirtbike. Having my feet that far forward with cruisers is what I find disconcerting. I'm sure you will come to grips with it eventually, but man, you made a heck of a choice for a first streetbike. Be careful.

EDITED TO ADD: I want to give you a lot of credit for not fooling yourself about the challenges of a big, heavy bike, or blaming the off road excursion on some outside factor. You seem to respect it, and that puts you ahead of the curve in my experience.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I know that it's probably not "hip" to wear dedicated riding pants when one rides a cruiser, but it sure helps with the fall. Just something for you to consider. Or at least get some of those plastic shin guard/kneecap protectors that the dirt bikers wear and put them on underneath your pants.

Sorry for the oopsie.