Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot 40 a lot over the years , but went mostly 9mm . I picked up a mint G22 gen 4 ,night sights with 1 mag for 305. It was really clean when I got it this week and not a mark on it . I wiped it down , picked up 4 new mags , put it in my Desantis black leather holster good to go . I shot the thing a few hours ago and man that 40 is a hot one I can see why the non gun guys like a 9 better . I will compare it with the L/E package 2.0 Smith 40 I have . but the gen 4 shot hard . 180 grain blazer and gold dot 165

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Wait until you try it with an OEM 357SIG G31 barrel. You will then have a weapon that is identical to an OEM Gen4 G31, except for:

1. Slope of face of the ejector tip (May be ignored),
2. Rear sight elevation (G22 uses 6.5mm; G31 uses 6.9mm)
3. Model and caliber markings on left side of slide.

Recoil is strongly related to bullet muzzle momentum...aka called by shooters "Power Factor"*:
a. A G22 firing a 180-gr bullet at 1075 fps has a PF=194 and Muzzle Energy of 462 ft-lbf.
b. A G31 firing a 125-gr bullet at 1550 fps has a PF=194 and Muzzle Energy of 667 ft-lbf.

The PF values indicate that both pistols in the above example will have essentially identical recoil, yet the bullet ME from the G31 is 44 percent greater than that from the G22. Pretty significant!

Glock OEM 357SIG barrel chambers have 100-percent cartridge case support, even above the feed ramp. That's possible due to the bottleneck 357SIG cartridge. The same cannot be said of 40SW barrels.

Get your OEM G31 barrel direct from Glock for $125 here:

https://store.teamglock.com/barrel-g31-357.html

* PF = Bullet Weight gr x Bullet Muzzle Velocity fps / 1000

·
Semper Fi
1,556 Posts
I have shot 40 a lot over the years , but went mostly 9mm . I picked up a mint G22 gen 4 ,night sights with 1 mag for 305. It was really clean when I got it this week and not a mark on it . I wiped it down , picked up 4 new mags , put it in my Desantis black leather holster good to go . I shot the thing a few hours ago and man that 40 is a hot one I can see why the non gun guys like a 9 better . I will compare it with the L/E package 2.0 Smith 40 I have . but the gen 4 shot hard . 180 grain blazer and gold dot 165
Sweet deal!!!

·
21,372 Posts
Try Federal AE40R1 in it. I know where to get a good deal on it :eyelashes:

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I sure have a lot of confidence in the 180HST out of my 27. One thing with .40 ammo is it seems like you can get mild to hot, the 165grn GD is hot. I have 9mm guns and they do shoot easy and carry a lot of ammo, but the .40 always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I carry it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
"Hot one"? Have you never fired a .45 or 10mm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have fired and owned old Colt Delta 10 mm they are like the 41 mag of autos and I own 5 ,45 auto .. I just think the 40 is a harsh round . A buddy was getting a Smith Shield he asked me 9 or 40 , I said get it in the 9 . I know with L/E changing back to 9 in a lot of places , that the new guys that are not gun guys will have a easier time . but also the 40 will take the fight out of the 300 pound gang banger real fast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's weird, or maybe I'm weird, but the G22.3 recoil never bothered me

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have fired and owned old Colt Delta 10 mm they are like the 41 mag of autos and I own 5 ,45 auto .. I just think the 40 is a harsh round . A buddy was getting a Smith Shield he asked me 9 or 40 , I said get it in the 9 . I know with L/E changing back to 9 in a lot of places , that the new guys that are not gun guys will have a easier time . but also the 40 will take the fight out of the 300 pound gang banger real fast.

Not really here is a link to read and think about http://www.defensivecarry.com/documents/officer.pdf

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with shot placement , I think the PA State Police guys like Swat had Glock 22 for a while , other Beretta 96 and then 45 gap .. now Sig 227 45 acp. . I know they had some shoots with Win 180 gr that the bad guy stayed in the fight .

1 - 20 of 59 Posts