GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
JAFO
13,662 Posts
I never get updates for mine, Apple is well known for slowing them down deliberately.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I doubt it. My iPhone 5, (or is it a 6?) battery still lasts all day.
As far as speed, I couldn't tell you. I use a real computer for things where speed and readability are a requirement.

Your iPhone 8 might have some apps running in the background, or maybe it's just old.

I used to have an app that monitored activity back when I used to use a the phone for things other than phone calls. It also had a battery reconditioning feature. I cant recall the name of the app, since I don't need it anymore, but it should be easy enough to find on the App Store.

Reactions: Eddy Current

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do you normally drain this phone and recharge every day?
Over a three year period maybe? The batteries in these phone are generally amazing
But they only have so many cycles in them before they degrade
Apple does screw with things though

·
Don't Jump!
4,251 Posts
You might have an app that is slowing down your phone and sucking down the battery. If your battery is worn out, Apple will replace it for ~$50.00.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

My 1st gen SE is still going strong after four years. Just updated to ios 14. Battery life seems better! I like that Apple still supports a four year old phone with the latest software (five major releases so far).

Android support typically ends after ~2 years... (it depends on the carrier). If you are lucky, you might be able to get one major software release.

·
NRA Life Member
14,356 Posts
My I phone 8 has slowed down and the battery is not lasting all day like it used to.
Who else believes they do this on purpose to get us to upgrade every couple years!
p***es me off!
Well, they did for like a year because of battery concerns. When the battery got older it couldn't supply enough power when the processor was at full tilt and the phone would shut down. The shut down could have corrupted the memory and bricked the phone. Now they put up a popup on those phones and let you choose I believe. At the very least, they let you know they're slowing them down due to poor battery performance.

Otherwise, the OS and apps are designed to work on the newest hardware which is much faster.

I have an iPhone X with the same processor as you. Haven't noticed any slowdowns on mine.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,105 Posts
My I phone 8 has slowed down and the battery is not lasting all day like it used to.
Who else believes they do this on purpose to get us to upgrade every couple years!
p***es me off!
Planned obsolescence is nothing new. It started way back in the last century. But my flip phone is as fast as it ever was and it's over six years old.

When I dial a number it connects right away! And the battery lasts for a couple of days and I only paid $60 dollars for it way back when and my monthly bill is only $30 bucks a month with Consumer Cellular and I have the same coverage as Horizon and I've driven all around the Western US with it.

But it's just a phone. It's not a video camera and it's not a laptop and it only has two basic functions that I use: The "Hello" function and the "Goodbye" function. And it's got no stupid "APP's" either. It has text capability but I never use it. I either talk to people in person or I email them or I call them or they email or call me. It's just a phone but it's a phone I can carry with me now that they don't have pay phones anymore.

Some of this new technology is good but life is simpler if you keep it to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
p***es me off!
My wife and I have iPhone 7s’ and ours did the same thing after an iOS update, a few days later there was another smaller update that fixed that. We’re still running just fine.

Reactions: Sherlock913

·
If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?
1,011 Posts
My iPhone 8 has slowed down and the battery is not lasting all day like it used to.
p***es me off!
Get a new battery. This has long been explain, as the battery degrades the software clocks down to try and maintain battery life. Never charge until down to at least 20%.

I had a iPhone 7+ and after three years had the battery swapped out. Made a HUGE difference. That's now my backup phone.

A few months later I ended upgrading to a iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Reactions: 45caldan

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn’t think it was an easy thing to do to change the battery on an IPhone.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Since Apple had to pay a huge fine and some restitution, they probably won’t do it again.
Could just be a worn out battery or an app or two running all the time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I also saw my iPhone 8 burn through a charge in a couple hours recently. Working fine, now.

·
Registered
20,436 Posts
Any phone that is 2 years old needs to be replaced. I am not saying it wont keep working or anything but 2 in phone years is like 100 real years of technology advancements mostly related to speed and battery.

/

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Any phone that is 2 years old needs to be replaced. I am not saying it wont keep working or anything but 2 in phone years is like 100 real years of technology advancements mostly related to speed and battery.

/
That's the game they want you to play. Used to be that you could run a phone for 5+ years, they don't like you to do that, they want your money every year now. Gotta upgrade this, gotta upgrade that...and if you don't, they'll force your phone into obsolescence with system/software updates that will leave your phone useless. SOBs.

·
NRA Life Member
14,356 Posts
/
Not so true anymore. At least for iPhones. My 3 year old iPhone X is running well enough I'm going to year 4 with it.

Yes, the new phones are faster but I'm not doing weather modeling on my phone.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts