close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I-Pad question/help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bush pilot, Dec 5, 2012.

1. bush pilot

bush pilot

I'm looking at buying I-Pads for two girls for Christmas. One's a sophomore in high school and the other is a freshman. They have wi-fi in their house and would be using them for homework and the other things girls that age use them for. Both girls are straight A students and will be attending college in 2-3 years. I plead ignorance on this subject and would like some ideas/suggestions on what version or model would be most beneficial for them at this stage.

2. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I bought one for my wife last year, and now she won't put the darned thing down.

I certainly understand your hesitancy. I was confused, too. Don't be, because the options are pretty simple.

I would just buy them the basic Ipad, and let them take it from there. This year, you will have to decide between the full size standard model, or the Ipad Mini. From what I understand, they're basically the same units, it's just that one is bigger than the other. There are some technical differences to be sure, but it's nothing most non techies will really care about.

Very generous! Well done, buddy!

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

iPad 2 or 4? And is there a difference, like the iPhones? I have a 4s and my brother has a 5, I can't tell the difference.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. jame

5. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

It depends on how they will use it. You can get an LTE model if they won't always be using it on wifi, or if you can't hotspot with a phone.

As far as capacity. It depends on how they will use it, but 16GB is pretty small IMO. Apps are only going to be larger now with the retina display. If they use iTunes match instead of storing all their music on it, it will save some space, but cost $25 a year.

The iPad mini looks like it will make a great e-reader, but it's priced too high for me. It is essentially a scaled down iPad 2.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

We won an Ipad 3 in a raffle a few months ago and have grown to love it. The kids should take to it like ducks to water but it has one hell of a learning curve for adults since the come with no instructions. Apple assumes an aptitude. HH

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

What is an ipad 4?

OP: I would consider either the ipad mini or the ipad 3 (the new ipad). Ipad 2 is getting a little long in the tooth from an obsolescence standpoint. I have an ipad 2, and it functions fine for what I need but it's, what? about a year and a half old? In idevice time that's quite a bit.

Personally, I'd prefer the mini but it really depends on what they will use it for. The good news is they can always exchange it.

Buy the most memory you can afford. Movies, music (stuff kids are into) take a lot.

8. jame

The Ipad Mini is on my short list.

9. mikesull415

mikesull415

Certified apple junkie here. The best option price wise is the iPad 2. Definitely go for 32 gb or higher if you can as the 16 gb fills up quick. I wouldn't bother with the 3G models since 1. They're more expensive and 2. Most everywhere has wifi now. If you've got a little more to spend try and find a couple of the 3rd generation ones. It'll save you about $50 off the price of a 4th gen model and the only thing you'll be giving up is the new charger and an upgraded camera

10. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

The iPad 3 was replaced by the iPad with retina display(iPad4), a mont or two ago. The 2, 4, and mini are the only ones being manufactured.

11. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Wifey has been using iPads since they first came out.
    Just last month, her work bought her an iPad mini as a little thank you bonus.
    At first, she asked if I wanted it, because she didn't think she would like the size...now, it's her main squeeze. Actually, she again asked me if I wanted it because she's going to buy the 64gig version (this one is only 16gig). The mini is 1/2 the size of the regular...it really is just the right size. It's big enough to work on (unlike an iPhone) but small enough to hold easily. I always feel like I'm about to drop an iPad. A mini i can hold easily with one hand.

12. BearMBD

BearMBD

Does any iPad come with USB for a portable hard drive or is it just equipped for internal media

13. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Not USB...but instead a proprietary port for which you must buy an adapter.

14. BearMBD

BearMBD

okay thank you for the help

15. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

Are you sure? I thought there was the Ipad, Ipad2, the New Ipad (aka with retina display and lighting port), and then the Ipad mini. That would be four total including the mini. :dunno:

ETA: I think they skipped 3 all together and just called it the "New Ipad".

16. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

I have the late model inbetweener that's the one with retina and old plug, not really sure what its official designation is. I got it as a going away gift about two weeks before the new models came out.

17. DARKSHADOW

OP, me personaly I would pass on the Ipad 2, mainly because of apple switching to the newer conection port. I would think that the young ladies probably carry smaller purses if any at all, and that the Ipad mini would be easier to carry in a purse. So you could get the mini in 32g for $70 cheaper than the retina Ipad in 16g. Or for an extra $30 you can get the mini in 64g over the retina 16g.

Mini 32g $429.
    Retina 16g $499.
    Mini 64g $529.

Those three would be my choice.

18. DARKSHADOW

Ok, I didn't know. :wavey:

19. Disintegr8or

Disintegr8or

Might as well buy the latest version because it will be replaced in 3 months anyways.

My Wife wanted a Kindle Fire last Christmas so I bought her one. Now she used the hell out of it reading, but didn't like the apps or the web browsing so I got her a iPad retina this year. She uses her iPhone as a hotspot and has a MiFi for her work so I only got the WiFi version...Seems everywhere you go nowadays there is WiFi, so I would save the money and get the WiFi one.

Should have asked this question a week before black friday because Apple had iPad's for $50.00 off.

20. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I'm using a 16 gig iPad 1 that I got about a week after it was introduced... Other than display resolution (this one is still shows HD video) and the interface with Apple TV, there is not much of a difference at all.

Save your cash, get a couple of 16 gig wifi only ipad2's for $399 or better each. They will be thrilled and since the OS updates are free, they will always have an up to date device. Same plug as the iPhone, iPod, etc...easy interface, and great little devices.

As for the memory issue...everything is saved in my cloud automatically so I can access it from any apple device at any time. Music, movies, pics, documents...everything. 7 devices in my family plus an iMac...and we leave notes for each other, manage schedules, shopping lists, etc wih no effort at all. I don't know what I would use a USB memory stick for...but if I had to have one there are several wireless ones available (hamacher schlemer catalog has one) that allow USB interface to your PC and wireless file transfer to your iPad if you require that.

Retina display on the 3 is cool, but I can't tell the difference and the HD resolution I get on my thumbprint smudged...old..."obsolete"...original iPad (no camera!!!) is fine. Get them wifi only 2's and you will be superdad.