close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I.P.S.C. w/glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Fireant, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Fireant

Fireant

I'm planning on starting to shoot at my local club in Jan. with either my G35, G21, or G22. Where can I find the right gear that would fit one of these? Preferably the G21. Any other advice for using my Glock in a mostly 1911 club?

Thanks

2. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I take it you're just starting to shoot? In that case, don't spend too much in gears yet (holsters and pouches). Uncle Mike's kydex is good for starters, cheap and fast. And don't mind them 1911 guys, just shoot, have fun, be safe and don't be ashamed to ask questions. :)

3. ZackJones

ZackJones

Fireant: Where in GA are you located?

As far as gear goes - look here, on ebay or gunbroker for holsters and mag pouches. Buy used stuff if you can find it. It'll save you a few bucks and would be easy to sell if for some reason you find out IPSC shooting is not the thing for you.

I don't know if you're aware of them but two good web sites for USPSA/IPSC matches, etc are:

www.georgiaipsc.com

www.uspsa-area6.org

DVC,
    Zack

4. mlanush

mlanush

what Oliver said , dont get into a equipment race, just go out and have fun. Which shooting game are you going to start doing? 1911 guys will always give you a little "ribbing" but jsut remem. when some of those 1911's are crashing and burning your 21 will still be flying and you didnt have to spend more money to make it reliable....

I shoot the G-21 in USPSA Limited-10 do ok on it. It is the shooter that has the problem not the pistol in my case...........

Mlanush

5. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

I would use the 35 for IPSC, For one less recoil and a longer sight view and 3 1/2lb connector on the 35, I myself use my 23 with some modafcation in Production and Limated Ten and do very well( but can't use it in GSSF), as far a equipment go the Uncal Mikes is to get started.

6. ZackJones

ZackJones

Sniper 7.62: What mods have you done to your G23? I've added a 3.5# connector to mine and will be swapping out the front night sight with a Hi-Viz sight for the match this weekend.

DVC,
    Zack

7. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

You allready have alot that comes with the 35 like the extended mag release and slide stop 3 1/2 lb connector, I have the Hi-Viz and when you put it on the Hi-Viz install the smallest one cause any other will cover your target at 25 yards IE to big I allso have grip tape or scatebord tape on the grip for better control and lots and lots of range time ;f you could go with a brass magwell and they run $60.00 from Topglock.
    Hope this helps and remember slower is faster ;g Sniper

8. Carlitos

Carlitos

Fireant: Answer: You will need:

1) Magholders and any old holster that is a "strong side" or hip holster. Try to avoid a thumb-break if possible as it will just slow you down but it will work for 1st couple of matches; the Uncle Mikes Kydex is an excellent and surprisingly competitive holster for just a little money.

2) Standard or highcap mags, but here is the catch: you might have "stages" that require you to shoot up to 40 rounds. That means, the buzzer sounds and you shoot 40 rounds on target as fast as you can (you will see it done soon enough). Normally, stages are smaller, but there is often one "big" or field stage. So, you will need at least 4 standard cap mags (41 rounds). This means you will also want 3 single mag holders or a double and 1 single or a double and one in the pocket (fine for the 1st match).

3) 150 to 300 rounds of ammo. The general rule is bring 2x the amount of ammo you will shoot; USPSA/IPSC local matches are usually between 60 and 150 rounds; there could be a re-shoot required on a stage if there is an equipment malfunction like a swinging target that fails to swing.

That about it. Go out and have fun! IPSC/USPSA is not what it used to be; a 1911 is not required and is not even allowed in some classes like Production where the Glock rules the roost!

For the rest of the world reading this post - USPSA is a great time and easy to get into. For more info, check this out: www.uspsa.com Look down and find the page Area Map find your Area of the US and check out the local pages. You will find schedules of matches and a phone/email addr for securing a "slot" - that is a timeslot. Unfortunately, you usually cannot just show up for a match and have to get a time slot ahead of tiem but its really easy, just call, tell them your name and what you shoot and you are in! DVC Douglas Johnson, TY-44934

9. Fireant

Fireant

Thanks guys. I went and watched this last weekend and it seemed pretty cool. I'm still confussed about the classes and groupings though.

Zackjones- I'm down near St. Marys just above the Florida line. I have family up your way and am up there quite often.

10. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I shoot a G35 in USPSA competition that has had a little bit of money put into it but I actually spent less on it than what I have spent on my double stack 1911's.

Here's the list of Limited Modifications

CGR Buried Bomars
    KKM Barrel
    JP Enterprise Magazine Release
    The Accessories 5.5 ounce magazine well
    The Accessories Tungsten Guide Rod
    15 pound spring
    CGR Top Fuel Trigger

CGR = Custom Glock Racing

11. ZackJones

ZackJones

If you make it up this way on a match weekend let me know and we'll arrange to shoot together if you'd like.

As far as the classes and grouping go I'll try to explain it. The major groupings are called Divisions and there's 5 of those:

Open - most anything goes.
    Limited - allows extensive modifications but no dot sights, etc.
    Limited 10 - same as limited only you're limited to 10 rounds loaded in the magazine
    Production - closest thing to box stock shooting as we have. Limited modifications can be made, equipment position is mandated, etc. Probably the best division to start with.
    Revolver - wheel gunners. It's actually a lot of fun to shoot a match with one.

Within each division there are 7 classes:

Grand Master (GM) - higest classification available. If you make GM you be da man or da woman as appropriate :)
    Master - notch below GM. Highly skilled at the sport.
    A, B, C, D - you start with D and work your way up to GM.
    U - Unclassified. This means you haven't shot enough of the classifier stages yet to earn a classification. You must shoot 4 classification stages to earn your initial classification which could be any of the above classifications.

Finally, when you shoot in a match you ONLY compete against those in your class. Even though you and I may be shooting production division. If I'm a C class shooter and your a D then you compete against just the other D class shooters and I compete against only the other C class shooters.

Hope this helps.

DVC,
    Zack

12. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

A little off the subject. STANDARD capacity mags hold 13/15/17 etc rounds, depending on the model of the gun. REDUCED CAPACITY mags hold 10 rounds. I get tired of hearing about "Hi-cap" mags. We can't be playing this by the anti-gunner's rules, or by the misleading terms they make up. A Glock 22 was designed with a 15 round mag. This is STANDARD capacity. Anything less is REDUCED CAPACITY. You should not get into the habit of using the wrong terms.

Okay, I'm better now. Rant mode off.