I need your help deciding on a Glock 27 to 9mm conversion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BDM71, Feb 6, 2017.

1. BDM71

BDM71

I know this is probably come up a lot, but I know the TLR-6 hasn't been out that long and I honestly don't have time to read through a hundred threads to see if anyone has done what I am curious about.

I carry a Gen 4 Glock 26. I have a Streamlight TLR-6 on it, and in colder weather I sport it with G19 mags, X-Grip, and Concealable Controlled baseplates (which I also use on my G26 mags). I try to hold onto enough ammo to get me through a shortage, but I admit I don't have 10,000 rounds stashed. When it was bad years ago, I literally ran out but .40 S&W was always still on the shelves. I've also been thinking of selling my G19 and getting something else (I always want to try new guns), and as such, I wanted to tease out my G26 as much as possible; so I thought maybe I'd sell or trade my G26 for a G27 for a few reasons.

Specifically, I was thinking about getting something like a KKM or Alpha Wolf THREADED conversion barrel to 9mm. My my thought is that velocity is mostly a wash (whatever I'm losing drifting away from polygonal rifling I'm gaining with the extra length of a threaded barrel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also assume the whole barrel will be slightly heavier because of the subtle increase in diameter of the .40 barrel fit of the G27 slid. I know I'll need to get an 9mm ejector, extractor and [I believe] spring-loaded bearing to ensure it runs as well as the G26.

The internals of my G26 at the moment are all stock, but I was thinking of getting a steel or tungsten guide rod. Here's my question, with a metal guide rod, extra diameter of the LONGER threaded barrel, and a TLR-6 mounted on the front, will that change the shooting characteristics of the gun in a positive or negative way, or is it going to be marginal at best (if not impossible to notice)?

Any other thoughts are welcome, even if only to tell me to leave my G26 as is.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

From my experience, get the 40, be it a g23, 27 or 22,
    get the 9mm and 357 sig barrel too. Now you have
    many options, I would never limit myself to just one
    or two calibers.

I have chronographed thousands of shots, many times
    that glock barrel gives you nothing extra, many times it
    falls short on velocity and accuracy and reliability, sorry
    glock people that is my experience.

Would skip the tungsten guide rod, get a SS one so you
    can fine tune the recoil spring power to the loads.

If you are healthy get into reloading and casting boolits,
    casting will save you a lot, the bullet/boolit is the most
    expensive part, you will shoot many loads in the 9mm
    and the 40 cheaper than you can 22lr, around five cents
    a shot.

If your not healthy just keep a lot of ammo on hand,
    reloading is an investment in the future, you can leave
    the reloading equipment to your kids if you have any.

Here is a good start on casting,
    I use this one in 9mm to 357 mag and everything
    in between,

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690574/double-cavity-mould-358-125-rf

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690306/6-cavity-mold-358-125-rf

This one is good for the 40/10mm, I would use it for
    hunting deer,

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690256/double-cavity-mold-401-175-tc

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690690/6-cavity-mold-401-175-tc

Some cast loads will work in Glock barrels but I would
    just stick with the AM barrels for them.

Get a LW 40 barrel too and the extra length really does
    help, I don't mind the barrel sticking out from the slide,
    many do.

Hope this is not too much info and you understand what
    I am trying to say.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Wether it be ammo or reloading components, the law of supply and demand will always exist.

Money spent on barrels and conversion parts or another handgun can be considered a way to defeat a shortage BUT your insurance policy will probably be moot IF a real crisis existed. Suggest you take that extra $100.00 to $600.00 and buy ammo.

The emotional runs to Walmart and buy (3) boxes daily of your favorite caliber or till their Inventory is depleted was a sight to see.

Reloaders favorite components also were seen to dry up as everyone doubled their normal buys and many today including myself have several years of product to consume.

If money is tight start thinking smarter with what you have and buy exactly what you need or can consume.

BDM71 likes this.
  4. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

When the ugly eight years hit America I had over 60,000 22lr rounds,
    over 30,000 primers and not counting one lb cans of powder, forty
    five 8 lb jugs of powder, I have since then fixed the shortages where
    needed.

Thank God the Ugly Eight is over, I think we are healing.

GOD BLESS P DJ TRUMP AND THE USA.

An older man does not have as much to worry about as
    a young man with a family.

oldman11 and Rocky7 like this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

The faster barrel theory of polygonal rifling sounds good on paper, but in practice it is not a constant. I have AM barrels that will show slight improvements in velocity over my stock Glock barrels. Most of that is likely attributable to tighter chamber and bore dimensions, as it is hard to see how traditional lands and grooves would be faster than their smoother polygonal cousin, but in the end many times the AM barrel ends up a tad faster than the stock using identical loads.

BDM71 likes this.
  6. Beendare

Beendare Stick and String, SME, NRA life member

I'm not seeing ammo shortages anymore with prices in bulk coming down a little.

I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel in my G23 and so far with only a couple hundred rounds down the tube its 100% functioning.

Accuracy; I swapped sights at the same time to the XS big dot and my accuracy is not good.....I think its me/sights and not the barrel. I have some finer sights coming so that will be the test for me.

7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

On carrying an AM barrel, I have always stuck with OEM for carry. That is more a form thing versus function as I have AM barrels that are 100% reliable (my LW 9mm conversion barrel in my G35 functions 100% with my reloads, even using the G35 mags with only an RSA cgange, no extractor or TMH swap, SLB, etc., nada).

I will likely start carrying an Alpha Wolf barrel in my G42 soon as it has a little more case head support, so the cases coming out of my carry load UW +P 90gr XP are not smiled. With my OEM barrel, every single case shot with this extremely hot load is smiled to some degree. A little too close to a case head kaboom for my taste.

BDM71 likes this.
  8. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

True, and if I completely curtail competition my consumption will change. Less 9mm and more 44 mag.

Ps that's a lot of powder, my 9mm is my .22's.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    happie2shoot likes this.
  9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Gosh...I have never read a posting anywhere that has so much illogical and unnecessary and confusing and irrelevant comments and side-stories and diversions from what the thread's subject descibes. After several readings of the OP, I'm still not sure what is being asked, and to what Glock it applies, and WTH a TLR-6 and cold weather and x-grips and not having 10,000 rounds on hand and concealable "baseplates" and a G19 etc. etc. etc. have to do with the subject line. I give up. Really.

greg vanstralen and PreciousChud like this.
  10. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

I have a KKM conversion barrel in my G27. Its a G23 conversion so it sticks out a bit. The greater velocity from a polygonal barrel is a fiction. The conversion barrel is slightly heavier and considerably more accurate than the stock barrel or my Glock 26 with its stock barrel.
    I like to live dangerously and so I've only replaced the barrel and the clip on my G27. It functions great and has never had one tiny hiccup. Ejection is perfect, better than my G26 or either of my G19s. I carry it with 147hst+p. I did replace the sights with some from 10-8. It shoots like a little pocket rifle. I'm a accuracy nut and there is a "feel" I get knowing I can hit a coyote at 50 yards with a pistol riding in my ankle glove while I bushhog the farm off. That is a 40 in the pic, it now has a 9mm the same length. P1010045.JPG

happie2shoot likes this.
  11. BDM71

BDM71

You need to read a little more carefully then. You obviously have a bad attitude, so no need to respond on this thread any further.

12. BDM71

BDM71

Great point about the ejection. I didn't anticipate that. Thanks.