close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need to vent.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by clancy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. clancy

clancy

Some of you may remember me posting last January that I had just bought a Model 27, and was having major problems shooting it accurately. The pistol is stone reliable, but no matter what I do, it prints 4 inches to the left at 10 yards. At 25 yards I cannot even hit the target. I put a big piece of cardboard up, and at that range I am shooting almost 2 feet to the left. I have had a couple friends who shot Glocks regularly, and they have no problem hitting the target. Despite their best efforts, I am just unable to get used to the trigger.

I shoot my 1911's and revolvers well, and at 10 yards with my S&W Model 60 I can shoot rings around the Glock. I have to admit, I have shot several Glocks in the past and have never been able to shoot them well. I thought with persistence, education, and a few hundred rounds, I could learn to do so.

Am I the only guy in the world to have this problem?

2. dakrat

dakrat

thousands of rounds partner. learn the basic and make every shot counts. if you dont, you will just learn bad habits that is hard to change. make your range visit frequent but limit your rounds to less than 200. when you are recoil battered, you'll develop bad habits such as jerking/flinching.. etc. double up on hearing protection (foamies and muff). loud noises scares human beings

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

3. sglock45

sglock45

try to ease the trigger back smooth dont jerk it

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

I'm no expert on shooting accurately, but what worked best for me was:
    1. Turn my strong hand so that my thumb and forefinger were about parallel.
    2. Make sure that my trigger finger is not rubbing against the frame just above the opposite side of the magazine catch as I pull the trigger.
    3. Focus on pulling the trigger straight back
    4. Use the trigger reset for every shot after the first. (hold the trigger to the rear when a shot is fired, and once the slide has returned to battery, let the trigger out until you feel it click. from this point you can pull the trigger and fire again, and you have much less pre-travel than if you'd let the trigger all the way out.)

5. barth

barth six barrels

I'm going to get flamed for this but;
    You might consider a Glock OEM '-' connector
    or a Ghost 3.5?

I have a Ghost Rocket 3.5 on my G27 and it really
    gave me a crisp, clean, break at ~ 5 lbs.
    I shoot the factory Glock trigger fine though.
    But the enhanced trigger feels much more like my
    SA/DA auto guns.

It's a cheap upgrade if you do it yourself.
    Particularly the not short reset ones.
    As they are drop in, require no fitting and cost like $25 or less?
    You can always take it back out if you don't like it.
    no harm done

6. Creatism

Creatism

Dry fire practice, lots and lots of dry firing. When I switched from the 1911 platform to my glock I couldn't hit anything with my glock. Grip angle trigger everything was so different, when you dry fire, this is where a laser comes in handy, but line up sites take your grip just like when actually shooting it prrrreeeesssssss the trigger and try not to disturb your site picture. Then repeat 1000 times. This plus regular range time will go a long way to helping.

Typed from my iPhone.

7. Genin

Genin 19k & 11b

Dry fire the living crap out of your gun. I do dry fire practice at home and after I get tired of doing it, I have to have 3 perfect trigger presses (ie, the dot or front sight does not move even the slightest bit when the trigger breaks). I pay attention to every little detail in this activity and then put it in practice at the range. I'll shoot for maximum accuracy at the begining and the end of every range session. In between is whatever drills I'm working on.

If you are pushing 4" off to the left and you're a righty then you may need to put just a little more finger on that trigger. I'd hit about 1"-2" to the right (I'm a southpaw shooter) and figured out pretty quickly that I wasn't putting enough finger on the trigger. Now I hit where I aim. Good luck. Don't give up.

8. Presscheck40

Presscheck40 Presscheck40

Or use more finger on the trigger.

Presscheck40

9. jr240sx

jr240sx

well... you picked a bad model to learn on, in my opinion, the 40 in that size has a good kick to it, plus somebuddy like me i can't get a full grip on the subcompact, pinky finger hangs off the grip, try renting a full size glock at an indoor range and see if you do any better...

10. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

I had a similar issue... What I was doing wrong was shooting left handed using my right eye. Turns out im right eye dominate, once I forced myself to use my left eye I'm Now on the paper at 25yds

11. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

A glock was the first gun I ever owned. got it when I was 16, so I don't really know what you are going through. But, sometimes I get a little flinch in my shots and miss like terribly....because I do not concentrate on the shot...because I'm thinking of something else.

Think of the target, think of the line from your muzzle to your target, think of the pressure on your finger, think of the front sights and the rear sight....slowly think of more and more and more and more pressure on the trigger....think of keeping that line to the target straight, take it slow and let the pop be a surprise.

If you do that (and aren't plastered drunk) after a little practicing, you'll be able to hit pretty well. Not drive tacks, but more and more and more practice will make it better.

Hope this helps.

12. TexasGlockster

TexasGlockster

.40 is way snappy for some which leads some to have anticipation and grouping issues. Add to that fact that the subcompacts are rougher to shoot than the compacts and full sizes and that might be part of the problem. I agree. Rent a full size 9mm and try shooting that. Whole different experience.

13. tgmr05

tgmr05

See if you can find someone with a 17 or 19, and shoot it a lot. It should take less time to get used to the trigger with the larger framed 9mms, then you can work with the 27 more.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. SARDG

SARDG

Yes, and yes. I own (lotsa) Glocks, I shoot Glocks competitively, I RO at GSSF (and at several other disciplines), and I am a NRA Instructor.

Out of all the 'things' that could be causing a right-hander to shoot left with a handgun , I vote for not enough trigger finger if it's a Glock. That has been a quick fix for many (most) of the Glock left-shooters I've encountered. Try the trigger up to the distal joint and see if it helps.

At my last GSSF match a shooter was missing the plates (to the left) rather handily. I was talking to the shooter's wife while he was shooting and she said she did the same. I told her to try more trigger finger (which I aptly demonstrated with the blue training gun I carry around). HE heard me telling his wife about more finger, made the adjustment between strings, and started clearing the plates. When he got off the line he said to me "why didn't someone tell me this two years ago?" Just sayin'... YMMV

15. GlocksterINtraining

GlocksterINtraining

I have to agree with the lighter connector advice above.

I felt the same with my Glock - I felt very inaccurate... then I put in a lighter connector in - and it seemed like my accuracy improved.

Gen4 22. I've been using a Scherer 3.5 connector - every thing else stock. I am no pro - and I am sure some will consider this bad advice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/932026/scherer-connector-glock-all-models-3-1-2-lb

Now - I have one of the new "dot" connectors for my Gen4... have not tried it at the range yet - but it seems like something in between the original connector and the 3.5 Scherer as far as pull weight.

16. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

You're not the first, and you won't be the last.

Can you dry fire the gun without moving the sights off target?

If you can, read this-> http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=4 and get the dummy rounds. Do what it says and you *will* see what the problem is for your self. Continue using the dummy rounds and they will help you learn to pull the trigger correctly.

Also, do you use the reset? Click-> http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=7

And.....I do NOT agree on the lighter connector....the last thing you need is a longer, creepy trigger break to contend with.

While you're there, check out the other eight articles too!

17. Blstr88

Blstr88

I didnt read all the responses so this may have been said...

Try using different parts of your finger to squeeze the trigger. I too used to always shoot to the left and someone pointed out to me one time that I tend to use my finger tip to pull the trigger. I moved my finger further in so the trigger is more on the very first joint in my finger and BAM, seems to have really improved my left/right shooting. Also really concentrate on pulling the trigger STRAIGHT BACK, towards your face. It seems weird but if you really think about it as your squeezing it can help prevent you from pushing/pulling the pistol to the left/right.

I still need to work on anticipating the shot and pushing down...but thats another story.

18. SARDG

SARDG

I would suggest that if a connector by itself is seemingly improving accuracy, that the basic fundamentals need to be reviewed.

Today, one of our students who went to an LGS about 'fixing' her sights because she was shooting left (on a revolver - not a Glock) was told that she needed a laser sight.

One shouldn't throw parts at accuracy issues.

19. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

I use a 3.5lb glock connector (-) with a NY1 spring (od green colored, 8lbs) in my glocks. It changes the way the trigger pulls and breaks. Using a lighter connector and a heavier spring creates a more consistent pull throughout, IMO. I found that addressed part of my issue when I started. Another part of my issues is I have smaller hands and not particularly long fingers, so I was having hand placement issues, which I just had to deal with.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  20. kmb

kmb