I need help choosing a pocket PC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Austin Charles, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Austin Charles

Austin Charles Hi Jack!!!

I need some help with which pocket pc to buy.

I have a Palm 515 right now and am thinking on a Ipaq HX4705

I have never had one with wireless communication via 802.11b

My question is how does the hot spots work? are some of the places free?

Also I would think that I would have to have a monthly account... is that true?

And can I connect to the web from just about anywhere or do I have to be within so far of a hot spot?

I feel stupid but I have never needed the web with me all the time, still don't I just think that if it was not that much $ it would be a good idea.

My other question is will a BlackBerry be as clear and be able to do all the same things as the Ipaq? or is the BlackBerry more for E-mail and a organizer?

Thanks in advance Erik

2. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

FWIW

Yes and Yes (Libraries and schools)

No but you can - T-mobile comes to mind - Located in airports (Or you could get it with your Cell Phone service (Cingular offers a Treo - Palm based - Sprint offers HP 6315 Pocket PC)

they have Limited range

I believe the Black Berry is limited on it's web browsing.

I am using a IPAQ 6300 series - Cell Phone - PDA - Wifi very happy with it but I was never a palm guy.

Best of luck

3. DonL

DonL

Save some change and get a Zire72....About $200 right now after rebate. I overclock mine to 400-500 mhz with no problems. Using MMplayer to play avi's...plays videos great, though it has some feature functionality problems. Has camera that takes decent pics...Need WiFi??..spend $100 for SD WiFi card. Also, the Z72 has bluetooth if you want to connect to web through cellphone thats bluetooth capable...need data plan of course.
    The only other place that has free WiFi besides some major airports like Las Vegas Int. and the places posted previously is at Schlotzsky's Deli with their Cool Cloud wireless network. I heard McDonald's was going to get WiFi and charge $2 an hour, but have not see anything come of it.
    I think WiMax or the cellphone company's will roll out their own highspeed wireless internet which some have now, will be the next big thing....Cellphones will start losing to VOIP from there.