Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter bought an IBM Thinkpad built 11/99 with windows 2000 professional.
I put a dell wireless adapter on it and installed the software.
It tells me the device is working properly, but I cannot get on the internet.
Using the intenet connection wizard, it only lists dialup connections.
What am I doing wrong? Or is it not possible to go wireless on this Computer?
Help!:rollsmiley:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The software you installed controls the wireless card. These programs often steal this control from your windows Operating System.

You should see a new icon sitting inside of that small area that sits next to your clock. The area at the bottom right corner of the screen. Double clicking on this icon will bring up the control panel for your wireless card.

Just connect to the closest network with the best strength.

K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by HVAC-TEK
The software you installed controls the wireless card. These programs often steal this control from your windows Operating System.

You should see a new icon sitting inside of that small area that sits next to your clock. The area at the bottom right corner of the screen. Double clicking on this icon will bring up the control panel for your wireless card.

Just connect to the closest network with the best strength.

K
It says that I am connected, with good signal strength, but I cannot get on the internet.
I even installed AOL. It searched for ways to get on the internet, and only found the dialup modem. I dont know whats going on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Windows 2000 does not have built in support for wireless networking like Windows XP does. You will have to use the wireless utility that came with your wireless card to connect to your network. Are there any other machines on the wireless network or is this the only one you have tried to connect wirelessly? Where did you get your wireless router? Did you buy it sepretly or was it provided by your ISP? If it was provided by your ISP, there is probably some sort of wireless encryption set up. If this is the case, your wireless utility may indicate that it is connected, but the router is not assigining the NIC an IP address because it is not authenticated on the network.

Make sure that your wireless utility indicates a wireless connection and try this...

Go to START
Click on RUN
Type CMD and press the OK button
At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG and press [ENTER]
Post what it says for the following fields...

IP Address
Default Gateway

This will tell us if the router is assigning an IP address to the NIC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by tmoncmm
Windows 2000 does not have built in support for wireless networking like Windows XP does. You will have to use the wireless utility that came with your wireless card to connect to your network. Are there any other machines on the wireless network or is this the only one you have tried to connect wirelessly? Where did you get your wireless router? Did you buy it sepretly or was it provided by your ISP? If it was provided by your ISP, there is probably some sort of wireless encryption set up. If this is the case, your wireless utility may indicate that it is connected, but the router is not assigining the NIC an IP address because it is not authenticated on the network.

Make sure that your wireless utility indicates a wireless connection and try this...

Go to START
Click on RUN
At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG and press [ENTER]
Post what it says for the following fields...

IP Address
Default Gateway

This will tell us if the router is assigning an IP address to the NIC.

It just says Windows IP Configuration
Nothing else

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try this and post what it says...

Go to START
Click on RUN
At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG /RENEW and press [ENTER]

It sounds like the NIC may not be installed properly. Did the wireless utility indicate a connection when your tried ipconfig?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by allglock
It says that I am connected, with good signal strength, but I cannot get on the internet.
I even installed AOL. It searched for ways to get on the internet, and only found the dialup modem. I dont know whats going on?
Ok, good.

If your using internet explorer, go to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>

Then CONNECTIONS>

You will see < LAN settings > at the bottom.

Click it.

Make sure that < automatically detect settings > is checked.
Also make sure that there is no proxy server chosen.

This is the most common issue with your symptoms.

Let me know how that works.

K

·
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
2,046 Posts
Originally posted by allglock

I even installed AOL.

:shocked:

good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still nothing:frown:

I ran the diagnostics for the dell wireless controller, and it failed the part that says: Check IP for default IP vs DHCP assigned IP.???
Does this mean anything to anyone?
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.