close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need dog advise!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Reagan40, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Reagan40

Reagan40

Here is the story... I have an Alaskan Malamute. He is a huge dog. My wife and I got him as a puppy a few months after we were first married. That was over 10 years ago. The life expectancy of a malamute is 10-12 years. So he is an old dog. He has always been a very good dog. He was easy to train. We consider him to be our first child. He is an inside dog, and spends 99% of his time on the main floor of the house where our living room is. He likes to be with us. He goes into the basement a couple of times a day for food and water. For the last several months, he has developed a very annoying habit. He will pee on the basement floor multiple times a day. It is not due to him being left alone too long. Most of the time he does it in the evening when we are home. He still goes out side to relieve himself, but sometimes he will do his thing outside, then come in and go directly down to the basement and pee more on the floor. When he goes, it is like a lake! We have had him checked by the vet, and they say he is in great health especially for his age. No kidney problems or anything. We cannot get him to stop, but cleaning up lakes of pee every day is getting tiresome.

We do have another dog. He has been here for 5 years. They get along, and the younger dog is very submissive. The malamute is definately the alpha. We have just been having this problem for the last 6 months or so. We have tried everything, even moving the food to other rooms. They have separate food/water dishes. It does not matter if they are in the same room, or in different rooms.

I need some ideas on how to get him to stop.

2. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    It sounds like he is just getting old and there is nothing you can do about it. It happens with older males, dogs or not. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I am an old dog too and I suspect soon I will be doing what he is.

I hate it when they get old and they don't understand what is happening to them. Poor souls.

5. Reagan40

Reagan40

It seems more intentional than that to me. He will go out and pee. Then he will come in and immediately go down stairs to pee. It is ALWAYS in the basement, which he has to walk by the back door to get to the stairs. He could easily scratch the door, and we would have him out as quickly as he could climb down the stairs to the basement. It is always in exactly the same spot.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

He has a spot and what you are using to clean it up isn't doing a good enough job of taking out the smell - he'll keep peeing on the same spot. I don't know that it has to do with being old, especially since he seems to wait to get to his spot. My wife probably knows more about this, but I think there is something to do with marking the spot and continuing to use it as long as he can smell it. She always used Nature's Miracle to get the smell out of a spot when our dogs were learning to be housebroken.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1 Since he is old just let it slide. Not much you can do about it, maybe take him outside and walk him around more often. Enjoy him while hes still around. :wavey:

8. Spen84107

Spen84107

Hmm. I'm not sure it's just because he's old. I had a malamute/german shepherd mix for 5 years before I gave him to my dad. (long story) He would let me know when he was angry about something by ignoring me, then going to the hall and peeing on the carpet.

Is he neutered?

Has anything changed about the basement, or the house recently?

I would think he might be making a statement about something. Or if he isn't neutered, maybe it's a territorial thing with the other dog.

If I were you.. I would try to sneak down behind him one day and catch him in the act so he knows you are angry about it.

9. Hippocrates

Hippocrates

Can you more specifically discuss tests that your veterinarian did?

Generally, although this could be a behavioral issue or early cognitive dysfunction, one would rule-out medical causes of frequent or excessive urination first. There are many. Bloodwork, a urinalysis, urine culture, and abdominal ultrasound would be the minimum required to rule-out medical problems.

10. frank4570

frank4570

That does sound weird. Older dogs simply can't hold it. This dog sounds like he is going out of his way to pee on that particular spot.

11. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I would suggest walking him without the other dog twice daily in addition to his time in the back yard. If that doesn't help then I would let him spend more time outside until he gets all his peeing done. If you catch him peeing take him directly outside and leave him there for awhile, not all night but a good amount of time.

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

don't let him in the basement anymore

13. Reagan40

Reagan40

He is neutered, and has been since he was very young. I cannot think of anything that has changed. We give him lots of attention. He knows he is loved. We did use nature's miracle for a while to clean the spot, thinking he was smelling his pee and continuing to mark his spot.

We have snuck up on him several times, and let him know it was not the right thing to do. We then took him out to the back yard and let him stay out for a half hour.

14. Reagan40

Reagan40

I may try this, but I am afraid he will just pick another spot upstairs. The nice thing about where he goes in the basement is that it is sealed concrete. If he is going to pee anywhere in the house, I would rather it be there. Perhaps a few days of no basement time will be a good test.

15. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Dogs are pretty easy to figure out, mine is a healthy and vibrant 16 years old. Keep him out of the basement and keep and eye on him and I'm sure he will figure it out and things will be fine. It very well will take some extra effort on your part these days though.

16. Spen84107

Spen84107

:dunno: I'm fresh out of ideas! I was just looking through some of the behavioral dog books I have, and I can't seem to find anything that you haven't tried or that hasn't been mentioned. Maybe it is something medical?

On a related note, my GSD decided this week that he doesn't like eating in his room anymore. So he brings both his food and water bowl to the living room.. WHILE THEY ARE FULL... leaving a trail of food and water behind. :rofl:

I work with a girl who used to do training with monkeys. Most of her recommendations with my dogs worked great..(Who would've thought?) I'll ask her tomorrow if she has any ideas about it.

17. saddleman

saddleman

Can't tell you why it is happening but until you can stop it, try putting down some underpads, some use puppy pads but the underpads (for bed ridden people) from Sam's or Walmart are the same thing and a lot cheaper. It want stop it but it will make it a lot easier to clean up.
    Good luck!!