close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need dental advice...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eingeist, Jan 24, 2010.

1. eingeist

eingeist

I'm 24 years old, and I just broke ANOTHER tooth... I spent all of my insurance money plus more last year trying to fix one broken tooth. It's root canaled, but the temp crown broke, and the rest of the tooth broke in half too..

Anyway, I also neglected two cavities trying to fix this one tooth. And I have broken two other teeth (one, I know of was an old filling that took a chunk of tooth with it...)

Anyway, it's extremely frustrating and I have more teeth problems every year it seems..

So I want to get them all capped. I DONT want to pull them all or get dentures, but I figured, who just files them down and caps them all?

I have had sensitive teeth all of my life, my thinking is that I can fill my fillings, file them down, get caps put on all of them. No more sensitivity, no more broken teeth, perfect nice looking teeth..

I mean what's the catch?

My boss thinks I can get it all done for about 5 grand for all my teeth. He suggested I just do all of them instead of the few problem teeth I have right now, and he may be right! I mean, my whole life has been constant dental problems.. If I'm going to have to be battling with the dentist every other month for some new problem.. I should just get it all done... No?

So anyone with any experience, please chime in :)

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Put some gold on dem teefess!

3. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

If by "caps" you mean crowns, then NO... you do NOT want to do that as a way of preventing perceived future problems. Crowns are typically indicated when a tooth is structurally unable to be restored with a "filling." But, to dispel one of your misconceptions... crowning a tooth does not mean it will be immune to future problems, including decay, root canal problems, etc.

And, unless you go overseas (which I don't advise), crowning all your teeth will cost MUCH more than $5,000. In my office, it would be about $42,000. And, while there are cases that warrant full mouth reconstructions, I doubt you are one of them (at age 24).

Don't get dental advice from your boss, unless he's a dentist. I'm quite well-connected in the dental world and may be able to give you a referral if you want to PM me your location. Oh, wait... just saw that you're in Jacksonville. If you're willing to travel to Ponte Vedra, PM me, and I'll give you the name of a great dentist.

4. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I heard them big belt buckles can be murder on teeth:whistling:

5. silentpoet

silentpoet

I got a dremel and JB Weld, I'll fix you up.

6. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I cant think of the rap song talking about a "grill". Starting to bother me now.

7. trifecta

trifecta

I don't know racer, but this makes more sense than what your boss was saying. At least get the referral and get a professional opinion. If necessary, you might consider trying to get the work done at a dental school if there is one close by.

8. freeride88

freeride88

Consider buying private dental insurance?

9. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

That won't be any different or better. And, most likely it will be worse and more expensive that the $1000 annual coupon he has now.

10. JMS

JMS 02

For that price, you should spoon afterwards. :faint:

11. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

great googily moogily! I've had several crowns, and as you can see in my tooth grinding thread, I'm desperately trying to keep from getting more. Ugh. It's really, really expensive, and REALLY not fun. Getting a crown on a live tooth (as opposed to a root canaled one) is a friggin' nightmare. Shudder.

12. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

i just got a quote to replace 2 crowns, $998.00 each. Total $1996.00. I'm happy to have dental insurance to cover most of the and a health spending plan to cover what insurance won't cover. I will exceed my max coverage for the year, so if I have additional dental issues, it will be out of pocket until 2011.

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

Haven't you watched any of the '60 Minutes' news reports. Sometimes you get a lot more than spooning during the procedure!!!

14. Mrs. VR

The one I'm in the middle of is $848. That's just a replacement. bleh.

15. JMS

JMS 02

Makes you want to become an anti dentite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythrdCsOFJU

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I am all about patient satisfaction! :supergrin:

17. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

\

It shouldn't be. If it is... may be time for a new dentist. Numb is numb. You shouldn't feel a thing.

18. Mrs. VR

ugh, I have the WORST time with anesthesia. Bleh. They have to give me like six shots for it to numb everything, and I can't do epinepherine. Bah. ptooey. I'm just not a good dental patient.

19. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

There are ways to do it without six shots. :) Seriously. But, not every dentist has the knowledge or skills.

Your own body produces epinephrine every day, BTW. It comes from your adrenal glands. And, if you're squirming in the chair from not being numb, those glands are pumping out WAY more epinephrine than is contained in the dental anesthetic.

20. Mrs. VR

I've been through four dentists and several oral surgeons, and we live in a highly populated metropolitan area, and I've always had the same issues. Maybe I've just been very, very unlucky. :dunno: