close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need car advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Landmonster, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Landmonster

Landmonster

Here's a hypothetical scenario for you, but which really happened to my friend.

Pretend that your car was recently totaled in a no-fault accident to you, and insurance paid off the car and left you with a few thousand dollars left over.

Thus, you have no car, but you have a few thousand dollars left over from your former car.

9 months from now, you will be taking a higher-paying job that requires extensive travel where you cannot bring a car, but you'd be traveling back by plane periodically to see your family and friends in your home city. This job will last for one year, then you will return to life as normal.

(This could be something akin to a military person leaving for a deployment for a year, but it doesn't have to be)

What would you do for a car now?

2. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

Buy something used that will last a while... you somewhat need a car now, but will definitely need one later. Something not too expensive that is reliable would be a good bet. Used though, for sure.

3. Landmonster

Landmonster

If you finance a late model car, you will have to fully insure it (and store it) while you are away for 1-year, unless there's some rule I don't know about.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. happy seal

happy seal

buy a used Corolla or Sentra and drive it for 9 months and then sell it. When you get back buy something nice. Or keep the beater for a spare.

5. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

Uhh, rent a car?

If he is Military then they would store his car in a secured lot. No cost. Problem solved.

As a civilian, he has to worry about a car being stored, fees, etc. Can get expensive. 9 months of renting get expensive so it would be prudent to buy a good used car where he can get his money back selling it before the new job or if he has a good buddy that can keep it for a year while he travels back in forth.

Either way he can recoup his money after the car sale and use it to buy a better permanent car upon return from that job he had.

6. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

The majority of the cost of insurance on a car is the collision part of the policy not comprehensive. Drop the collision coverage if you aren't going to be around and add it when you get back.

7. Landmonster

Landmonster

Doesn't the car have to be paid off for that?

(Can you suspend insurance on a car that's not paid off?)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

Yes, I have no car currently and my insurance is suspended :) I dropped my car off from lease about 2 years ago and my policy has been suspended since. $20/month is the cost.

9. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I would go this route. Chances are if you find a decent deal on the front end, you can sell the car later and get the same money back. This will only work with a Toyota or Honda though...maybe and Nissan. Free car...

Greg

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I'd go with the rental car thing. Can get some pretty good deals for a weekend , especially using a discount offered by most everyone these days, see if your credit card offers one. They usually do.

Save what money you got from the last one, add to it for the next year and buy when you settle down.

Just a thought.

11. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

Only one problem with renting a car. If you don't have insurance you have to buy the rental companies insurance and therefore the cost of renting a car is much more expensive. Have you heard of car sharing programs i.e. zip car? Do they exist in your area?

12. prism

prism more ammo

buy a cheap car.

talk someone into keeping it for you while you're gone.

13. loki993

loki993

I wouldn't renting a car long term would be very practical. Then even if it was Id have to say it would probably be a hassle.

Id say find a deal on a decent Toyota or Honda. Drive it for the time he needs it and then sell it before he leaves. If he gets a nice one and doesn't mess it up he should be able to get most if not all of what he paid for it back.

14. rahrah12

rahrah12

Depending on your credit card some of them provide insurance for free. My credit card will provide insurance for any of my rental cars when I use it to hold the car.

15. Swiper

Swiper

I would buy a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback. Just what I did in a similar situation last year.

16. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

Take your two grand, get on craigslist and pick up a late 80s truck or vehicle. Something that if it does break down you can fix it without a mechanic getting involved. No computers..just make sure it has passed emissions.

Then sell it after 9 mos.

I buy and sell older 4x4 trucks, preferably v8s, and nowdays there are alot of really nice trucks out there for close to nothing yet they dont get the best gas mileage.
    But if you arent keeping it forever and its a just a temp, try not to drive unless you need to.
    I find some amazing deals by people who just cant afford to drive them as daily drivers and want to get into a new car...

17. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

Read the small print on what cars it covers. I have an Amex platinum which provides insurance (probably the best credit card for it to). Coverage only in the U.S.A. and the list of excluded cars is a mile long.

18. rahrah12

rahrah12

Mine is VISA - i'll check the excluded cars list - thanks for the heads up!

I am pretty certain my regular insurance covers rentals also...

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would buy a used car and use it/park it at airport so I could drive it home. Stick a battery buddy (solar battery maintainer) on it.

20. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

Oh it does cover rentals, but then it defeats the purpose of him renting the car. Do read the small print... loads of exclusions I'm sure :) Amex Platinum won't cover SUV's, any car that is luxurious (anything over a retail price of $40,000) and lord knows what else :)