close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need alot of help with a decision, Glock 26 vs Kahr

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bushmanfnp, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Bushmanfnp

Bushmanfnp

I have read, and read, and read on both firearms. I have studied and have looked at schematics for both. I have held both, Held a 26 when I owned one (11 years ago or so)but really didn't like that I ahd no place to put my little finger and this was before I knew about a curved mag extention that allowed a rest for the little finger. I don't think that would bother me now.

Please help me with a decision, especially if you have had alot of experience with these smallish 9s or 40s

Pros Glock 26
    seems to take less oommph to rack the slide
    very very reliable without break in almost...
    very customizable trigger with parts change out and end user able to do it.
    shorter trigger pull
    Higher cap. and can take G19 mags and you can put a grip extention on it and make a great range gun.

(EDIT) ADVANTAGE ARMS has a little .22 caliber conversion kit! Don't know anything about them though(EDIT)

Cons G26
    clumpier trigger pull out of the box
    THICKER (one of my main gripes)

Pros Kahr

THINNER
    prettier (but that won't save your life)
    better factory slide release
    ?more accurate, not that 1/2" accuracy matters much at 7yards or inward
    sweet smooth trigger pull and break

CONS Kahr
    more expensive (pistol+ 200 rounds break in ammo = price of gun to me
    a bit heavier if steel model which I think is what I would want.
    PM or M series lacks place for little finger, and also lacks a way to extend the grip any... Could buy a standard size but then would not have a gun that is AS easy to carry.
    longish trigger pull
    smaller capacity

This really should be easier than this I would think.

The only guns that I have access to fire at are local indoor range are a Glock 19 which I aboslutley LOVE that gun but I chose to sell mine so that I could get a Franchi Alcione O/U shotgun for hunting.
    kimber commander sized gun. (forgot the exact model.
    and a MK9 steelframe with hard nylon grips.

To rent ONE of these guns would cost me $15 to rent the gun,$15 range fee, $9 thier ammo, = alot of money to me.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to do that but I sure wish they had a 26 for me to try also...

Guys, I am TRUSTING that you have the expierence to help me and give me objective reasons on why you would choose one over the other. I do realize that a carry arm is a highly subjective and personal decision, but I simply do not have the funds to go out and purchase both to try even though I would really want to.

(one of my major newbie mistakes was to trade my G26 for a G19C) I should have just gotten a G19 or kept the 26. And to boot I got taken for about $100 on the deal too. That was 9 years ago and I like to think that I am abit smarter now since I am about 1/2 finished with my life (34 yo) considering the national average and the propensity towards heart disease in my family.

I love my wife and my children and want to be able to watch after them the best possible.

Sincerely Bushman and thanks for the help.

2. 7.62FMJ

7.62FMJ

You forgot to consider the Springfield XD 3" with 10 round mags or even a Kel-Tec P11 which has twelve rounds mags and is even smaller than a Glock, Springfield etc.

A Glock is pretty bulky for summer carry situations or where you can't where a jacket. Sure they make deep concealment holsters but you can still tell- as I have owned both. Some would claim otherwise but Glocks are pretty fat for the most part.

Ask yourself why you want it- what area of your arsenal does it fit as most guys have a gun for all occasions including arming the neighbors should Canada ever invade :).

The Kahr is very compact- which makes it comfortable to carry and less noticable. I bought it for this reason only. :cool:

3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Pros Glock 26
    seems to take less oommph to rack the slide

Is it really that big of deal?
    very very reliable without break in almost...
    True. But my Kahr P9 didn't "need" a break in. I've had zero malfunctions so far out of 950 rounds.
    very customizable trigger with parts change out and end user able to do it.
    Yeah. I don't see that as a big deal either.
    shorter trigger pull
    Yes, but not as smooth as a Kahr.
    Higher cap. and can take G19 mags and you can put a grip extention on it and make a great range gun.
    True. But putting a grip extention of the mag turns it into a MUCH larger gun. Might as well be the midsize- cause that's how big the grip is anyways. And the grip is the hardest part to conceal.

Cons G26
    clumpier trigger pull out of the box

It's a unique trigger pull. I don't like it much.
    THICKER (one of my main gripes)
    Seriously, it's a LOT thicker. The Kahr is SO much thinner inside your waistband, it's not even funny.

Pros Kahr
    THINNER

There's the wining ticket right there. Thin is good!
    prettier (but that won't save your life)
    Much more aestheticly pleasing, at least to me. The steel Kahrs are simply beautiful!
    better factory slide release
    Maybe.
    more accurate, not that 1/2" accuracy matters much at 7yards or inward
    Debatable. Maybe.
    sweet smooth trigger pull and break

It's pretty sweet, but long.

CONS Kahr
    more expensive (pistol+ 200 rounds break in ammo = price of gun to me
    Yes, they cost more. But it's worth it. As for the price of break in ammo, that's less than $25 for WWB Walmart ammo. Besides, you're not going to carry your brand new Glock without at least ONE range session anyways, correct? Null point.
    a bit heavier if steel model which I think is what I would want.
    Why are comparing a polymer Glock to a steel Kahr? Of course it's heavier, it's STEEL. Why don't you compare the Kahr P9 or PM9 to the G26 for fairness sake?
    PM or M series lacks place for little finger, and also lacks a way to extend the grip any... Could buy a standard size but then would not have a gun that is AS easy to carry.
    Not true. Each model comes with a flush fitting mag, and an extended mag. You can also purchase them seperately. Again, if you're planning on extending the magazine, why not just get a larger model with a REAL grip?
    longish trigger pull
    It's smooth, and not as bad as it sounds.
    smaller capacity
    True. But extra mags are easy to carry because they're so thin and light. Literally half the thickness of a Glock mag.

The micro Kahr models are specifically designed for CCW. They are small, barely big enough to hold onto, light, thin, small. And they work well for their intended purpose- CCW. I'd say better than the micro Glock models which are fat and heavy.

You sound like you want to use this purchase as a CCW gun, AND a range gun. That might not be the best idea. A small CCW gun will never be as comfy at the range as a dedicated range gun. Likewise, a range gun will never be as comfy while CCW'ing as a gun designed for CCW. Which one do you want?

If you really want one gun for both CCW and the range, then get a P9. It's still thinner and lighter than a Glock, with enough room on the grip to get all your fingers on it. It's not as pleasant to shoot as an all-steel gun of course. But it's a good compromise. The K9 would be sweet too, as long as you're ok with the extra weight. Both of these full size Kahr models are MUCH thinner than the Glock 26. Their heights are about the same, but the Kahr grip is big enough for ALL your fingers to fit, while the Glock's grip is not. That's the big difference. The PM9 is much smaller than a G26.

I have a P9 DLC. My hands are too big for the smaller PM9. I might end up getting one anyways strictly for CCW, and then trade my P9 for a K9. That way I'll have a dedicated CCW gun, and a cool range gun that can also be CCW'd if I want. My P9 is super accurate, and has never had a single malfunction.

4. mpholic

mpholic

Well I have all 3 (Kahrs, Glocks and XDs). The biggest thing the Kahrs have going for them is their thinness. I have carried a Kahr K40 now for quite some time and it is extremely comfortable. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Watch Six (IWB). Most of the time I barely notice it. I also have a MK9, Glock or Springfield can't come any where close to being this small. The down side of Kahrs? The trigger, yes its smooth but WAYYYY too long, you might want to look into a Kahr with the Elite trigger. I eben bought the parts to convert my Kahrs to an Elite trigger but was unable to get the trigger pins out to change the parts (I need to revisit that project)Definitely consider a K40 or MK40 Elite 2003.

I like the Glock and XD trigger much better than the Kahrs. I currently have a Milt Sparks Watch Six on order for my Glock 36 and plan on carrying that for awhile once the holster is delivered to compare its carry comfort to the Kahr K40. My XD Service is just too big to conceal in warm weather si I am waiting for a SC.

What I am having a problem deciding on is G39, K45 (doesn't exist yet) or a XD45 SC (doesnt exist yet). My next purchase will be one of these (if and when they all come to market).

My perfect choice would be a K45 with an Elite trigger.

5. Bushmanfnp

Bushmanfnp

I failed to mention, if it matters to anyone what my hand dmentions are...8.25" thumb to pinkie spread out 3.5" across the palm of my hand.
    Thanks so far for the good advice given above, if anyone else feels differently, of course I would like to hear the opinion.

Also how doest the elite trigger differ from the regular one?

6. JCM298

JCM298

I have a Mk9 and had a G26. They both were accurate and carry easily. I never had a problem with the Glock and have had no problems with the Kahr. Since I sold the Glock about two years ago, I can't do a side by side comparison but the Kahr does work better for IWB.

The Kahr does twist in my grip when I shoot it. After a few mags of ammo, my wrist is sore. That could be as a result of old injuries and the small grip size. I never had that problem with the Glock.

Although the Glock was a good pistol, I never really liked it. The day after I bought it, and with no time to test it, I had to qualify with it at a day and night shoot. I aced both quaifications and my scores were almost as good as with my Sig 220. The Glock served me well for 10 years but I never grew attached to it. When I "needed" to buy another gun, I sold the Glock to finance "the beast", my Smith 340SC.

I no longer have to qualify, since I'm semi-retired, so the Kahr has never been put to a real test. I probably would do as well but I know I'd have a sore wrist.

The best way to decide what you want is to do a side by side test. Too bad you are not here in Tucson. I'd let you try the Kahr and we could borrow a G 26,

John

7. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

I have the PM9 and the G26.

My preferred gun of the two to shoot and feel more protected with is certainly the Glock 26. It's more comfortable to shoot. Follow up shots are quicker (shorter trigger reset). It's heavier so the recoil is less of an issue. I carry a G17 mag for back-up. My hand wraps around the G26 grip perfectly. I have the GAP grip extension. It does not add length. The pinky is still underneath. The extension comes straight out underneath your ring finger to give a more confident grip. It does not impair CCW, but does improve grip.

The PM9 is VASTLY more comfortable to carry. The P9 Covert and even the P9 would be in this same category. The thinness. Oh, the thinness. It is the cat's pajamas. I can carry in a pocket or IWB. I can tuck and not be notices IWB in the least. It's sometimes hard to carry the Glock, when I know how comfortable I'll be with the PM9. 6+1, +7 ought to be enough.

8. cpirtle

cpirtle

All things being equal (not saying they are), the Kahr has everything else beat in their caliber (except Rohrbaugh R9) on what is IMO the most important part of a reliable CHL gun - size.

Nothing else comes even close & when you carry - size is everything.

The mini Glocks are way too uncomfortable for me, but I love my 19. The PM9 and K40 are primary carry guns, followed by a custom P3AT for the rare times when even the Kahr's don't fit.

Even Kahr's "big" guns are smaller to carry than others so called compacts.

9. Jerseycitysteve

Jerseycitysteve

I have a Glock 19 and a Kahr K9. I always carry the Kahr. I'm thinking of trading the G19 for one of the larger caliber Glocks.

10. Gunmeister

Gunmeister

Hi Jersey, If you can only have one, go with the Kahr, when all is said and done you won't regret it. I personally prefer the all stainless models. I've owned 3 polymers (2-PM9s and 1 PM40) and sold them as fast as I could find a buyer. I've owned a G26, G27, G33, G19, G23 and a G30. They are all gone and the Kahrs remain. They cost a little more but you only get what you pay for. It has been written that an all steel Kahr is like a fine Swiss watch. It will last your lifetime and can be passed on to your sons and grandsons.
    As far as magazine quantity goes,I always recall what I was taught some years ago. The average man will never, ever have to draw his CCW piece but if the SHTF and the non-professional (you and me) gets in a gunfight, the rule of threes applies, that is: The battle happens at three feet, with three shots fired and is over in three seconds. With that in mind, why does a non-professional need more rounds than a Kahr carries? Accurate shot placement and rapid deployment of your firearm is key to surviving a gunfight. Many will disagree about magazine capacity but these are the same folks who leave home with a primary piece, a backup gun, three mags for each along with a razor sharp foldable knife, mace and a collapsable baton. I'm not that paranoid yet.

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Well, yeah, on AVERAGE it might be 3/3/3. But for every gun fight that only takes ONE shot, there's another that takes FIVE shots, and it all averages out to 3 shots.

Around the bad parts of town, bodies often show up at the morgue with a lot more than 3 holes in them.

12. thejackbull45

thejackbull45

Kahr have the feel of "quality and precision manufacturing" if that makes a difference.

But the best reason to buy a Kahr, its American Made;?

13. LittleFoot

LittleFoot

what has been customized?

14. cpirtle

cpirtle

It's been a project gun.

Completely polished internals, Polished barrel, lightened trigger, polished/modified feed ramp, melted slide, +1 mag extension, cleaned up the rought spots on the plastic.

It's 100% reliable with ball ammo, never tried JHP yet but I don't plan to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

Very nice job on the KT. Is that the 32 or the 380? I just picked up a new 32. (I tried the 380 about a year ago and had horrendous trouble.) So far happy with the 32. Tiny little thing!

16. GregB

GregB

I have a G27, a P9, and a P32.
    I love my G27, it is my primary carry gun for colder weather. For a long time it was my only carry gun.
    My wife bought the P9 for carry, but hasn't been able to work it into her wardrobe very well, mainly because of work issues, but that is a different topic.
    She then got a P32, figuring the size would make it easier to carry, and it has. (I know, it's only a 32, but that's way better than a 9mm that is left in the safe.)
    I've been carrying the P9 now in warmer weather and dress clothes. She carries it in colder weather, when I am carrying the G27.

Compared to the G27, the P9 is much more comfortable to carry. It holds fewer rounds, but spare mags are easier to carry because they are smaller. I have the same holsters for bith guns, so it is apples to apples (Both IWB and OWB too).

I used to shoot the G27 a lot better than the P9, and that was the only concern I had about the Kahr. This week I am away from home, training for work, in a state that happens to honor my carry permit. I brought my P9 with me to get some quality time in with it at the range. There is a decent range 20 minutes from the hotel (with a wallmart on the way) so I've been going every other day.

I've put 500 rounds through the P9 (without cleaning it) this week and brought my groups down from 4" @ 7yds to 2". That is close to what I do with the G27, so I'd call it even now.

The P9 feels like it has more grip length than the G27, especially with the 8 round mag. It also is much snappier than the G27 recoil wise. I have extensions for the G27 mags, but I shoot better without them, don't know why.

Last night I rented a G34 to shoot alongside the P9. I hate stock Glock sights, but other than that I shot it just about the same as the P9, I was hoping for better (so I could justify getting one).

To summarize,
    1) For me the P9 is easier and more comfortable to carry (spare mag too)
    2) I shoot it just as well as the G27 now
    3) Reliability is a wash, they both are perfect for me.
    4) Practice ammo is cheaper, so maybe you'll do it more
    5) In my case, my little finger is better off tucked under.
    6) If I had to pick one, it would be the P9 (it is never too big, and the G27 sometimes is), but I am glad to have them both.

17. cpirtle

cpirtle

Thanks, it's the .380.

I Never fired it before the tweaking so I have no idea how it was, but KT's in general seem like a crap shoot.

18. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Need thinner for CCW - Kahr PM9

Want to shoot it more and CCW not as big a deal? G26

No big decision?

Get both!

19. blackbox1011

blackbox1011

you can get a pierce grip for the pm9. I love it.

20. c_w_cunningham

c_w_cunningham

Ditto what sharpshooter posted. My P9 has been %100 since I took it out of the box. Except for height the P9 is smaller in every way than a G26. It's perfect for CCW. I actually have a PM9 and a P9, and I often carry them both. Why not, since I can carry them both easily. The PM9 slips into a pocket(although with most of my casual pants the P9 could be pocket carried too) and the P9 slips into an IWB clip-on under a loose t-shirt in warm weather, a coat or jacket in cooler weather. A pair of 8 round magazines for reloads simplifies ammo supply problems, since the 8 rounders can be used in either gun.

While my P9 was %100 out of the box, the PM9 did require about a 250 round break-in before it was functioning %100. Now it has run about 350 malfunction free rounds after the first 250. But Glock or not, I would always want to put at least 200 malfunction free rounds through a gun before I consider it reliable enough to carry. I used to have a G27 that would dependably tie up 2 or 3 times every 100 rounds, even after I had close to 800 rounds throught it. I tried everything, more lube, less lube, no lube. Grip extenders, no grip extenders, different magazines. White knuckle grip, firm grip, loose grip, two hands, strong hand, weak hand. Light bullets, heavy bullets, hollow-points, full metal jackets, +P, standard. Nothing would keep the gun running reliably. Even the range's Glock "superfan" had no explanation after he shot it, or more accurately, his explanation was that I must have "tinkered" with the gun, which I had NOT done. In my CCW class, the only guns that tied up were two Glocks and a SIG. My point is, reputation is great, but don't be so sure that you can take ANY gun out of the box and load and carry it without test shooting it first at the range. That new gun might work great, or it might need some work, but there's no way to know unless you test it.