close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need a treestand.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Big B, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B NRA Member

I am looking for a treestand for the up coming hunting season here in central Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions for me based on previous experience. I am 6'4" 240lb. and I will be hunting with a rifle for whitetail deer and wild hog. I am leaning toward a climber but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

2. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

Summit Bushmaster XL will handle a big guy like you. They're made of aluminum now and fairly lightweight. I've got an old steel one that's pretty heavy but I've had great luck with it. I think its one of the best climbers on the market for the money.

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I have a Summit Viper XL and love it! Great stand, very comfortable and the most secure I have ever felt in a tree stand. Though you being a bit taller then my 5'9" self, the Bushmaster may be better for you since it has an open front. Though for gun hunting and my own nervousness of hights, I like the enclosed version of the Viper better. The summit climbing stands are very well made and I love the seat of the pants harness that comes with the stands.

You might want to check out the Summit Goliath climber also....

http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Goliath

4. Big B

Big B NRA Member

Thanks for the responses. I will check Summit out.

5. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

If you dont walk a long long way,check out a tree lounge.A buddy of mine has one and loves it.You can literaly fall asleep in the thing,its wonderful.However it is a little bit heavy for a big time hike.

6. vafish

vafish

Where are you hunting? Will you be able to leave your stands up?

When I hunt private land where I can leave a stand up I prefer a chain on type of stand and screw in steps. That way I don't have to make a lot of noise in the woods walking in and out with a stand and setting it up in the morning.

I've used the Amaker climber's and they worked alright. But I'm a bit smaller than you at 5'7" and 190 lbs.

7. Big B

Big B NRA Member

I'm going to be on public land and I am not allowed to screw or nail anything into a tree. I looked at the Summit climbers and I definately like the Goliath. I also like the Lone Wolf Alpha climber. The Lone Wolf looks like it might be easier to climb with. Anyone ever use a Lone Wolf?

8. raw52

raw52

Will stay with a Tree Lounge, check them out at www.treelounge.com
    Can feel SAFE and can Hunt High! Also no nails or spikes, I sometimes hunt on State Owned Puplic Hunting Land and it is fine with the game ranger. Upgraded with wheels for easier travel, well worth the $$$, good to haul out your harvest.

Good luck on your decision!

9. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

i have been looking for a new tree stand this year also. i have pretty much narrowed it down to the Summit Viper XL or the API baby grand slam. not quite sure yet, but i will probably go with the Summit Viper. i just really like the stand.

10. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

Having never used a Climber before my uncle let me borrow his Summit climber for deer hunting last year. Love it and plan on purchasing a new Summit Viper.

11. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

I used the summit goliath for the first time last year. In fact I liked it so much that I immediately went out and bought a second one.

They are an awesome climbing treestand and I am about the same size as you.

-lee-