close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need a safe

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Travclem, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

My gun collection is getting big enough that the closet isn't gonna cut it for much longer. I'm looking at a Liberty Lincoln25 at Gander Mtn for $1899. Is there a better choice? I like the pin-dot velour interior in the Libertys but I was hoping to stay closer to $1500. Any suggestions?

2. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

My suggestions,.........?

A. Get a GOOD fire rated safe
    B. Get a safe with a quality lock set, I perfer manual spin combo locks
    C. Get one size larger safe than you think you want/need
    D. Do not ignore C

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Forget about the 'velour interior' of the safe, concentrate on two things: how tough it would be against an attack and against a fire.

If I had to buy a safe again, I would stay away from that cheapie 12 gauge steel most everyone uses these days. Attackers can cut through it with an axe pretty quickly. You really want 8 gauge or thicker steel, all the way around. I have been looking at a smaller safe made from 1/4" steel for my stuff, ain't no way someone is getting in there easily.

I actually prefer the electronic locks, but get the best one you can afford, no off-brand BS. It's much quicker to access the safe with an electronic lock.

Make sure you can bolt it down to the flooring at all four corners.

Heat-activated fire seal, the better safes have two of them. Also, make sure the safe has a good fire rating.

Most importantly: Don't rush into buying a safe. Do as much shopping around on the Internet as you can for a month, so you can really understand the different features on safes, THEN make a decision.

Good luck!

5. 20South

20South

Do a search on Sturdy safes. I did some research and I believe that will be my next safe.

6. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

This.

And my recommendation is to bolt it down to the floor and have your alarm company install a motion sensor to overwatch the room it is in (cost ~$125 for an additional alarm motion sensor).

You don't need the best safe in the world as long as you have decent protection and good overwatch.

:wavey:

7. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

8. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Yep. I have a 45-gun even though I only store around 15 inside. Once you get a fair amount of ammo in it there's little room left. I also use it for important documents and my favorite guitar.

I have this one and love it, but now I want a second one and will probably go even larger next time. This Stack-on was $999. Let me tell you, it was a real pain in the butt getting it into my living room by myself. :cool: Around 800lbs empty, if I recall, and now close to 3/4ton when completely full. Lead and steel are heavy.
    [​IMG]
    This safe is what I call "my baby". It almost looks like art inside my living room. The electric 4-digit lock makes access easy. This comes in handy because I open it several times a day. There are also 2 giant keys supplied should the lock ever fail. The key access is located behind the code input assembly. 43"W x 26"D x 59"H

9. Sgt127

Sgt127

http://www.securityproducts1.com/

You are in Texas. Support the home team! These guys make the best safe for the money I have ever seen. Get 1/4 plate with the dual locks and feel pretty secure about your collection.

They will work with you on saving money on the paint, interior whatever. Deliver if they are on the way to a gun show near you.

I bought my safe from the nearly 20 years ago. They remember me. We chat at the gunshows. From a consumer satisfaction standpoint, they cannot be beat, and, they make a damned fine product. The dual locking system will NOT be peeled.

10. GlockBill

GlockBill

+1 on that. My dad bought his safe from them when he lived in TX about 15 years ago. Very nice safe. Probably the best safe values out there if you're a reasonable distance from them.

11. peacekeeper defense

peacekeeper defense

Zanotti Armor makes a nice safe and they are easily moveable because they will come apart for moving. Assembled they are as sturdy as any safe but when they come apart no piece weighs more than 175 pounds. And that is the heaviest piece - the door. As assembled the safe weighs 980 pounds for the large model. They can come with a nice range of options also.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

VR PD

12. 78tsubaki

78tsubaki

+1 I do not work for nor am I sponsored by Sturdy. I just appreciate their quality. I paid full price, which was not bad.
    You will receive a lot of advise on this issue. You will need to take the time to research.
    I went with Sturdy. 7 or 8 gauge steel. Unibody 12 bend construction with bolts supported on both sides of the plate. To protect against fire they use ceramic wool material but a lot more of it. The same kind of insulation that you see in ovens. I liked it because it appears to provide a level of protection while not wicking moisture into the safe. Regardless of whose product you purchase, the most important thing is placement if you want the contents to survive a fire. You willl also need to look into the design of the door. The door linkage, relockers, hinges and fit up (gap) between the body and the door all need to be considered in your decision. Sturdy safes are built in the USA by a family owned business. Give the owner (Terry) a call.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  13. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

14. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

I was thinking about getting a gun safe with an electronic lock. One thing to think about is over time, the numbers in your combination will show wear, unless you rotate your combination periodically. Someone may be able to guess at your combination by the way the keypad is worn. I have gun vaults for quick access, so I will probably go with a dial combination.

15. Sierra2223

Sierra2223

I have a Liberty Lincoln 35 gun safe and it is awesome. Has bolts on 4 sides, good fire rating, all around great product with a great warranty. I would highly recommend it.

16. iiibdsiil

iiibdsiil

We have had the same garage door opener on the outside of the house for 5 years. It gets used on a daily basis at least once. None of the buttons are showing any wear and one of the buttons is pressed twice. I wonder if the wearing is a problem of the past?

17. 76again

76again

look in classifieds. Found older, fire-rated, solid steel 1500 lb-er stored in a warehouse. Interior space exceeded new "25 gun" safes by at least 50%. Paid less than 1/3 of what you're quoting, and I wouldn't trade mine for any of those "veloured" jobs. Note the "25 gun" safe really means 25 cork guns w/o scopes. If you have real rifles with scopes - no way.

18. Nokin3D

Nokin3D

Travclem, the lincoln I believe is 11guage, and is a pretty descent safe. I myself own the presidential liberty that is their 7guage. It's a bit more but decided with the 'extra' thickness protection since the sides are it's vunerable areas in breaking in. It's no Graffunder, but still a great deterent for theft and 2.5hrs of fire protection.

I agree with everyone who stated get the biggest size you can fit and afford, you WILL fill it up quick. My 50cu in is already full.

My Brother has the Lincoln 50 and is very happy with it. It weighs about 1000lbs and is bolted to the ground.