I need a new diet

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by teumessian_fox, Apr 26, 2012.

1. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

Generous amounts of protein (gotta start working out again)

Low carbs (gotta trim my waist)

Low salt (my bp was 150/110 early in the am; 140/90 after the treadmill)

High volume (I can't sleep when I'm hungry and can't be eating copious amounts of food b4 I turn in)

I'm sure there is no diet meeting all the above criteria, but any suggestions?

2. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

Oh, and I had about two or three cups of really strong coffee (Starbucks French Roast) on an empty stomach before my first bp reading.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

3. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

I am right there w/ya bro. My carb/sugar addiction is killing me. I even posted a juicing thread last week as I had a friend that is doing that and lost like 30 lbs pretty fast.

If I could beat my vices and stick to the stuff I really love like Venison, fresh fish and chicken I would lose the weight.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Why not just eat right and go ahead and exercise?

Eat 70% carbs, 20% protein, and 10% good fat (5-7 small meals a day), drink plenty of water, and work out...your body will take care of the rest. No "diet" needed.

I have found that it really helps me if I keep a journal of my food intake.

Greg

5. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

Sounds good. How do you know which foods represents how much of the above?

What's a sample daily intake look like for you? (Menu)

6. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I'll tellya what did it for me. Buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Hungry before bed? Slice up a tomato and cucumber, throw a tiny bi of oil and vinegar on it, and eat that. Brush your teeth and you're good.

Really, you can go absolutely insane thinking about the perfect diet or you can just buy all of your own stuff (vs getting fast food or eating out), stay away from ANY processed foods when you can help it, and limit your breads/grains/wheat product intake. Eat meat when you crave meat, try to stay away from red meat whenever possible. Whenever not possible, eat Sirloin. Stay away from pork whenever possible. White Meat chicken is what you want.

You can snack on veggies and a few fruits all day and night and not get fat. Once you start eating processed foods you're doomed.

8. sharkbait22

sharkbait22

9. Old School

Old School

Look into the Blood type diet. As the name suggests, it tailors the diet based on your blood type. I was an "oatmeal every day" guy to keep my cholseterol down, but it wasn't staying down. I'm O positive and evidently whole oats aren't good for me - which helps explain why the cholesterol levels weren't being helped. Some of the diet is common sense, but others are more subtle - for example, pinto beans are good but kidney beans are bad. I never would have made that distinction.

10. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Try juicing. I did the 30 day juice fast and still juice twice a day, cut my dinner size in half and cut out the carbs, flours, sugars and beers, down 24lbs in less than 2 months.

11. mhill

mhill

Paleo or South Beach are good.

I did Atkins for a while and it works but is too hard to stick too.

I was a non believer then I took the book and made out the meals for 2 weeks. 10 lbs in two weeks without being hungry. But man it was hard.

12. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

:shakehead:

OP, your plan is a good one. It's easy to hit those goals, lots of lean meat, nuts, green veggies, cook with olive/coconut oil, etc. If you want to be specific, look for a macro breakdown of 40p/30-40f/20-30c. Also, you may want to get your BMR tested to find out exactly what your body is doing at this stage in the game. You can look for a New Leaf testing site and they can give you the bare minimum calories you need to survive if you slept all day. If all that is too much, you can't go wrong eating the things I mentioned above, just make sure you put protein at macro #1 and fat at #2. Good luck.

13. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

protein, protein, protein.

Get some whey protein powder (I like to mix a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of chocolate) to have as mid morning, mid afternoon, and post-workout snacks. Eat NO white carbs if you can help it. No white rice, no white flour, and especially no sugar. Not saying that stuff is bad for you, they are just calories you don't need to attain your goals.

STOP DRINKING! By far the hardest but probably the most critical advise. No sodas (drink diet if you must) and no alcohol (especially beer).

By doing this you are making your body work to produce sugar. It is harder to manufacture it from protein and limiting simple carbs means it will get it from the fat packing your gut. Get working out and let that protein go to muscle.

The paleo diet is a good start. Lots of meat. Lots of veggies. Fruit and nuts. If you are gonna eat carbs at least make them whole wheat nutritious carbs. Allow your palate time to adjust and the processed corn sugar salt enriched stuff will be too sweet and you will feel the salt load induced bloat almost immediately.

It ain't gimmicky or rocket science. It is simple math and biochemistry. Basically hit the edges of your grocery store (deli, produce, butcher) and avoid the center (aisles and aisles of processed carb loaded salted preserved foods).

And above all, don't get preachy about it when you lose weight :)

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Ignore the sodium. Negligible effect on BP - check the stats. I think it lowers it by, on average, 1mm. One. LOL

Go Paleo. I'm most-of-the-way there. I was raised on bread and pasta. I'm shocked I can pretty much give up potatoes (to my Irish heritage's dismay) but bread. OOOOHHHHHH bread. Mmmmmm.

15. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Well, if you're eating packaged foods it's all listed on the package...just do the math. Everything else is available online or in books. After you've settled in to a routine, you'll know what's got what in it. Eat as much fresh food as you can. You don't need protein powders and all that other ****. If you eat right, your body will settle where it wants to. That may not be where YOU want it to be but it'll find its own stasis. Have regular annual checkups to check for cholesterol, etc. and change your eating habits to fix any issues.

Since getting married and having kids, I find it hard to stick to a routine like this so my current daily menu is NOT something you want to be doing. All my advice comes from the years I was doing it right and really taking care of myself.

A couple of things to know...meat has little carbs and only meat has cholesterol. Most veggies and fruits have little protein or fat.

Examples if you're on a 2500 calorie per day plan;
    1500 calories from carbs (try to keep these as simple carbs like fruit)
    750 calories from lean protein (chicken, fish, turkey)
    250 calories from fat like olive oil and nuts. Stay away from partially hydrogentated oils in particular.

Greg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

myfitnesspal Website plus mobile apps. Good selection of foods on there. Plus you can create your own recipes to track foods and others' recipes and #'s are on there to mooch off of.

It tracks calories, carbs, protein, fat, sat-fat, 4-5 vitamins, calcium, iron, etc., The only thing it doesn't do is let YOU set the RDA's for each sub-category. :(

17. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Cut down on eating and exercise more, works every time.

I've lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds over the years. Weight Watchers, high protein diets, medical weight loss, etc, etc and they all work. They all work because you cut calories and increase exercise. As soon as you stop exercising and start eating more calories again you start to gain weight.

The key to keeping weight off is you have to change your eating lifestyle. It is really hard in our society to change eating habit when we are bombarded constantly with food ads and just about everything we do is centered around food.

And yeah, I am back on a diet, lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks and only have about 40 more to go.

18. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

This fad diet **** is FTL. Just eat proper portions and you'll be fine. Breakfast is cereal and milk as per the box's serving size. Lunch is a tuna kit with crackers. 100 calorie granola bars at 10, lunch and 2. Dinner is wtf ever. I'm down 30 lbs with just these changes.

19. bgreed

bgreed

Look into "The Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmeckler I lost 50lbs in six months along with working out with kettlebells. Like Kettlebells it is counterintuitive to what everyone else is saying but it works and is healthy too.

20. Halojumper

Halojumper

That sounds like a recipe for insulin resistance/syndrome X/type 2 diabetes