close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need a little polite anti-gunner advice here.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

My wife's brother in law recently admitted his Dad into a long term care facility. He gave me a call, and asked if I had room for his Dad's guns at my place, as they live in a very small home and he doesn't own a safe. I said "Sure thing."

I asked what he wanted me to eventually do with them. Sell them, return them to him later, estimate values and advise? He said he didn't know. There are a few good pieces in the lot, but by and large it's typical farmstead fare, with the .22 rifles and a couple of single shot shotguns. An fair condition Marlin 39 and a good condition Winchester 97 are the jewels in the bunch.

I asked him over Christmas if he had decided, as it's a good time of year to sell. Lots of shows and lots of buyers.

He ends up in an antigun tirade about "assault rifles", and typical gun control rants. And this idiot is a History teacher..:upeyes:

Nonetheless, no answer. What am I supposed to do?

I need some real suggestions here, guys. "Tell him to piss up a rope" are not good answers. This is family, and I need to find some reasonable and peaceful resolve. Why? Because I'm generally a reasonable and peaceful guy, and I live with the sister of this guy's wife.

So, Braintrust, what do I do?

2. countrygun

countrygun

I am a little unclear about what your goal is.

3. ignantmike

ignantmike

"do you want me to sell the guns?".....if not, take them back........

4. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

Tell him to piss up a rope, then suck on the wet end.

I'm not nice to anti gunners, family or not, so why be nice, they won't treat you any different?

I don't know why you're even asking this question here though, are you not mature and responsible enough to handle this on your own?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

5. HexHead

HexHead

Because he was such an *** about it, I'd tell him to come pick up the guns, that they're in your way. He obviously doesn't appreciate the favor.

6. jame

My safe is packed. They need to go somewhere. I don't know where.

7. Droid noob

Droid noob

Does he ever shoot? If not, would he be willing to go with ya? I've "softened" a few anti gun ppl by inviting them to shoot with me.

8. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

Just tell him you will take them off his hands for him then sell what you don't want to keep

9. steve1988

steve1988

I take it that you don't want to start a huge emotional argument about it. I would suggest bringing up the facts, in a calm cool manner. If he starts making appeals to emotion, steer the conversation back to the facts. You could bring up that "assault rifles" are used in less than 1% of crimes. I would recommend reading John Lott's book, More Guns, Less Crime. It is a well-reasoned book on how gun control fails. I used it as a source in high school and college numerous times.

The topic of gun control is fraught with emotional reactions on both sides. The only time I have been able to have a conversation (and even change a few minds) with people on this subject is to acknowledge what they say, and counter with facts from sources as objective as possible. Labeling people as gun-grabbers, libtards, etc. only puts people on the defensive, as you are attacking them personally.

10. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

box them up and ship them to my FFL. I'll forward you shipping and $20. And to him I will send $20/gun for my buy back program.

11. jame

You don't have many friends, do you Clyde? I know family is out of the equation. Why did you post, again?

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

My opinion (worth exactly what you paid for it) is if you possibly can figure out how to keep them for a while when his (misdirected) anger regarding the school shooting subsides, he may be in a slightly better position to make a rational decision. If not, I would say before you dispose of them you need to consult with your wife so any decision can be phrased to have included her (his sisters) input to help make the decision seem more palatable to him. And I would also say at least try to keep the 29 and 97 as long as possible. After he is gone, someone in the family may want one of them.

I know you said your safe is packed. The purpose of the safe is to protect valuables and keep an operating firearm from the wrong hands. A firearm that is worth little may not warrant safe space were it to be rendered inoperable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  13. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

If you have the space just don't mention them again and hope he forgets about them!

14. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

Same reason as you. But yes, I have plenty of friends, and they handle their business without asking a forum full of strangers on matters that should be handled by the postee and those concerned only.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

15. jame

Great options here, guys. I hadn't considered a lot of those ideas. A "cooling off" period might be the best option.

Rendering the guns inoperable is a great idea, if this option lands home.

16. jame

Wrong.

I don't have all the answers, and I appreciate the value that others can bring in their lifetimes of experience. That's why I post here many times. I usually learn a little bit from the experience of others.

You, obviously believe you have all the answers, so you only post to dazzle us with your bull****.

Thanks for contributing. Now, as you suggested I say, go piss up a rope.

17. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Is the father in any condition to make a decsion or even talk about it? Who has power of attorney?

Does anyone want the guns?
    Does anyone need money?
    Do you have any kids or might in the future?

Is there a buyback program in your area?

I'd keep them all, but consider this. Cherry pick but don't be shy about keeping a simple relic like a single shot shotgun. Sell to a buyback program and donate the cash/cards to a battered woman shelter. Don't be afraid to his bias as leverage.

18. Tx-SIG229

Tx-SIG229

i'd tell him that since he hates guns... they're staying in my safe forever now.

19. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Then he may appreciate this, from Forbes, one of the best articles I've ever read defending the Second Amendment...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lawrenc...certain-virtues-of-a-heavily-armed-citizenry/

20. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

This. If he doesn't know what he wants to do, ask him if you can have them. Make him an offer, tell him you will get rid of them for him, whatever.