close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need a GPS or something. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frank4570, Jul 16, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I go walk around my property. I need to be to map the property lines and corners.

I also find useful plants along the side of the road, which I need to come back and collect at another time of year, so I need to mark these places and list them.

I also travel to hair cut places and I need to note where they are, and what work I did or didn't do.

Thoughts, suggestions?

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

For the plants and salons, a consumer grade GPS would be perfect. For surveying though, I don't think they are accurate enough. HH

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

IF you want sub 1' accuracy you have to pay for a ground base signal. I.E. (my understanding) is you pay $$$ to business (or buy your own transmitter, set it up) and you have sub 1' accuracy.
    A neighbor has it for his equipment. He pays local JD dealership and his planters, sprayers, combines etc drive themself. 3" max off. I THINK he said it was $600 for that and the 1' was $300 a yr.
    His system plants, sprays, combines without driving over any crop. (or touching steering wheel except at ends)

Another guy does not use that $$$ signal. He bought a transmitter. Sets it up on edge of field/hooked to battery and 10 hrs exact signal. (per charge)

4. frank4570

frank4570

Would you care to suggest a specific one? I don't have any idea.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Wouldn't google earth/maps and/or a purchased aerial map be better for that?

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I wonder how much "surveying" you could do with a map and range finder

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Some farmers use a Differential GPS based system.

That is, an independent transmitter is set at a particular location (lets say at a corner of a field. Then the GPS signal is is compared to the independent signal and the difference can give crop row to row accuracy.

Surveyor GPS equipment can provide around 3mm accuracy (about 0.118 inches).

Price is sky high for accuracy..

Close is good enough for most stuff.

For General GPS accuracy your positional accuracy is around - --
    My Cell phone accuracy right now is about 5/10 meters (real GPS)

8. frank4570

frank4570

It might do better for marking property corners and stuff, but the places where I am working look like nothing but woods from overhead. On pictures I can't actually see anything.

9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I believe this is accurate. For haircut places and plants something like a Garmin Nuvi will work. I have a Nuvi 260 (I think) and it has worked well for 6 years.

For property lines you need a survey done or to just find the markers. My property lines are marked with rebar. Found it with the mower once.

When they sold the lot next to my house it was surveyed and we discovered that my storage building was halfway on the lot being sold. I got it moved post haste!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. mgentry

mgentry

iPhone with the right App will do it for you.

11. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

If you need your property surveyed, pay a surveyor, and just have it done. Much more cost effective for you.

Then, if you're just walking your land, consumer GPS accuracy is fine for you. It's advertised as 10m accuracy for the civvie signal, but in my experience it's generally better than that.

Garmin makes nice hand held units as well as car-mount units you can also use dismounted. Either way expect to pay a couple-few hundred bucks.

See this below for a quick reference, and if you google you'll find lots of sites dedicated to the pro's and con's of various makes and models.

http://www.consumersearch.com/search/reviews/hand held gps

Note that if you have/want to get a smartphone, it can do these things for you as well.

12. gigab1te

gigab1te

I had to find the corners on an odd shaped parcel a while back. The land was covered in knee high grass and scattered pretty heavily with trees. It is in a remote area, so there are no streets, structures or fences to work off of. The corners were marked by short, 40+ year old rebar stakes that tended to blend into the grass and soil pretty well.

I obtained the UTM coordinates for the corners using information on the county's webpage, and drew a simple map with the coordinates, elevations, distance between corners, and the cardinal directions marked on it. I then used an old handheld Garmin eTrex (one of the really, really, old, first generation ones). The etrex got me to within 10 or 15 feet or so of the stakes, and from there it was pretty easy to find them. On one or two of the stakes, it actually took me to within a few feet of the stakes. Once I found them, I used pvc pipe to mark them. In hindsite I didn't need to write down the elevations of the corners, but I'm anal that way...

The eTrex also has a "waypoint" feature that lets you record the coordinates of any point you happen to be at (i.e. the location of a plant, etc.). You could copy those down into a spreadsheet for later reference.

I believe there are all sorts of apps intended for geocaching for ipads and smartphones, and maybe you could use one of those also, particularly for listing the coordinates of locations. My iPad has a pretty wicked GPS unit in it, and I have to admit I almost never use my old eTrex except whem I'm out hunting or backpacking or somewhere I don't want to carry an iPad.

I hope this helps. If you lived nearby, I'd be happy to help you map out your property.