Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· NRA Benefactor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just returned from some air travel.
She took her Glock with her in a Gun Vault, combination case.

She had the slide locked back each time she checked her luggage, so it was easy to see it was unloaded.

Once she got to her destination, she found that the suitcase had been man-handled enough for the slide to close.
That wasn't a real problem. Just an indication of the APES who handle the luggage.

BUT!

After her return flights, the Gun Vault was JAMMED closed and I had to take a hammer to it to get it opened.
One corner of the top of case had been driven over the bottom corner of the case.

We've never had that problem in the past and we've both flown a lot.
I certainly don't want it to happen ever again in the future.

That wasn't all that bad on the return trip (I was carrying when I picked her up), but I don't know if she could have opened it if the same thing happened on her initial flights.

She now knows if that ever happens again to spend the money for a BIG hammer and then buy a new case. ;)
But I don't want that to happen ever again.

Does anyone have experience with a reliable pistol case? One you can depend on?

Thanks,
Rich

· Registered
10,527 Posts
Budget? Desired dimensions?

· NRA Benefactor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budget is unlimited.
As for size, it just has to fit in a suitcase without hogging a log of room.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
My opinion is that if someone gets into the suitcase if by chance they cannot defeat the case they will simply take it so to me the primary purpose of the case is to protect the handgun and comply with the airlines regulations so it can get past the person checking in the bags. Based on that I have had adequate success with any of several plastic foam lined cases that guns have come in from the factory with a padlock.

Reactions: UtahIrishman

· Registered
10,527 Posts
I'd go with Pelican, and use a cable with a lock going through the handle of the case, and behind the bars for the handle inside the suitcase, just as some added security. It won't stop a determined thief, but hopefully with the cameras and other people in the sorting area, the cable will hopefully deter someone intent on stealing who will move onto an easier bag.

Similar to what Mac did here, in regards to the cable. http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/macs-guide-to-flying-with-a-firearm.1202384/

· Registered
1,171 Posts
When I traveled for a living I used to carry a double-strap duffle bag. A hold-over from my military days I suppose.

Always at the bottom of that bag was a modified, metal, 50 cal., GI, ammo box. I had added the lock section of a hasp by filing a groove in the snap lip and bolting it in place.
The ammo box will hold 2 + guns along with a knife, money, credit cards, binoculars, phone, etc.

I drilled holes in all 4 corners of the bottom and always carried 4 long screws with large flat washers. Most motels and apartments I stayed in had wooden floors under carpet in the closet so all I had to do to create a room safe was screw it down.

I used a heavy padlock which was large enough to accommodate both ends of a hardened chain. I have secured it to many things from a tree root on a camping trip to the car frame in the trunk of my car when in NJ.

Not only is it nearly indestructible, it is cheap.

I also modified one of the thin boxes (30 cal?) for my wife to lockup her "bingo" winnings when she traveled with me and it fit in her luggage even better than mine (I like the extra space).

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

· NRA Benefactor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I fly a lot; I have been using a Nano Vault for a few years now; steel, with a decent lock, secure, slim, doesn't take up much room in the suitcase., meets the TSA requirements....The link below is just for example, I got mine on Amazon, it was arounf $30;

http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-300-nv300.html
That's exactly the case that we've used for years.
I was completely satisfied with them until yesterday.
Satisfied enough that I bought eight of them. ;)

On this trip ................................
They managed to jam it tight enough it took a big hammer to open it when she got home.
I should have taken a photo of it before I beat it apart.
If you look at the end with the combination and knob, they somehow had managed to jam the top corner at least 1/2" over the bottom corner. There was no way to unjam it without some big tools.

I have two of them under the front seats of each of our vehicles.
They work well for that, but they won't be used for air travel again.

I'll have to take a good look at the Pelican cases.
The most we ever have in them while flying is a G26 or G19, with two mags, and a box ammunition.

Rich

· Combat Diver
3,770 Posts
I have 2-3 Pelicans I use, I do not know the model #s. I for the longest time used to use a Kimber Pistol case until I found out that TSA was opening it every time just to put their dick beaters on my Pistol (Which was no always a Kimber). That's when I went to the pelican.

· Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
123,842 Posts
According to the Pelican web site, the Pelican 472-PWC-M9 is a match for the G19 and G26 (as well as others).

http://www.pelican.com/firearm_fit_...=Glock&Series_or_Model_Number=G17/G19/G26/G34

Has anyone had experience with that model?

Rich
4.7" deep? How wide is your Glock? Ex:11.8x9.8x4.7

The Pelican 1170 is only 3.78" deep, should be easier to get your suitcase closed around it. Ex: 11.64x8.34x3.78

The length and width are similar, but the difference in depth is very significant. An inch, right where it matters when you try to close your suitcase.

If shopping online, check B&H Camera in Brooklyn; they had the best total price on the color I wanted last year.

· NRA Member
3,649 Posts
According to the Pelican web site, the Pelican 472-PWC-M9 is a match for the G19 and G26 (as well as others).

http://www.pelican.com/firearm_fit_...=Glock&Series_or_Model_Number=G17/G19/G26/G34

Has anyone had experience with that model?

Rich
I've always used the Nano, but I was considering buying a Pelican case. I was looking at the P1075 for my G19. The dimensions appear to be similar to the recommended case, but a lot thinner. I think it would pack easier in a suitcase.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=P1075

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.