I need a garage heater

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by notoriouskeef, Jan 3, 2010.

1. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Anyone have any links to an electric garage heater? I need to work on my vehicles and it's been about -25 the last few days :crying:

I have a two car garage and am looking for something for less than $200 that can heat the garage to at least above freezing lol.

Matt

2. Kozel

Kozel

3. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Looks like a propane heater might be the way to go. All the electric heaters require you to install beefy electrical outlets.

Matt

4. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    I put a Dimplex electric heater last year. It runs on 240vac and is 17000 BTU. I have a small 2 car garage (about 425sqft) and it will keep the garage 70 degrees in the dead of winter (with uninsulated garage doors). I paid just over $200 IIRC, but I'm sure if you search for it (I cant read the model number but it's 5000 watts) you can probably find it around $200

5. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    don't forget to vent the propane heater if that's the way you decide to go

6. gadget_guy

gadget_guy The handyman

I have been using a kerosene garage heater for some work out there over the past month. Heats up pretty dern quick and much more cost effective to run vs. electric. I do crack the garage door and put a CO detector out there. It's a little stinky (well pretty stinky) but at least I am warm while working out there. I was running fuel oil, but got that finished up and back to kerosene again - smells much better when not running diesel fuel.

7. rock_jock

rock_jock

For a 2-car garage at -25, you will want at least 35,000 BTU/hr/. I have a Mr. Heater Big Buddy which is supposed to produce 18,000 BTU/hr and it doesn't make a dent in those kind of temps.

Also, electric heaters on that kind of scale will require a 240V connection and pull a lot of amps. Make sure your panel box can handle that load before you purchase.

8. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. Kozel

Kozel

Cracked? Almost wide open! I nearly died from one like this before! They will burn oxygen out IN THE HURRY!

10. vGnzlz

vGnzlz 9s and 40s

[​IMG]

i have a single burner for my propane tank.... get two..... that way you can "spread the heat" more effectively....... you would need two propane bottles thou....... put them in the corners of your garage.... this should do the trick...... crack the garage door a bit......

11. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  12. Just1More

Just1More

I'd call Al Gore and find out what the heck is going on!

13. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Didn't you hear ? Global Warming is causing these extreme cold temps !

14. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I'd get a barrel stove kit and start slaying trees.

15. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

There are no trees in North Dakota lol

Matt

16. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

No ****??? :shocked:

I figured there were trees in the river valleys.

17. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I'm waiting on this to show up http://www.garageguyheater.com/index.html Its a Sterling Garage guy garage heater. I wanted something that had a seal combustion chamber in my workshop due to possible flammable fumes / vapors and dust that may be in my shop when working. I'd been using a propane salamander type heater for a few weeks getting moved in and it was OK, but I have been reading some info out and around some shop forums and talking with a few people and come to the conclusion that a sealed forced air unit was the safe way to heat my building. The unit I ordered was 75,000 btu with a output of 61,000 btu and it was just over $600 delivered to my door.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I gots me one of them Propany heaters in my gee-rage for winter cigar breaks.

The downside is that if you are working on a car, you will have to contend with the sub-freezing floor AND the fact that CO sinks. So be sure to vent well.

Otherwise, it'd heat up my garage from about 15-20 to 50-60 in no-time flat. Makes for a toasty evening. In fact, I gotta go get the tank from teh lake. My cold is almost over!

19. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

I have the Empire DV-55 in my detached 2 car garage. Works great. Heats the garage up to working temps in about 10 to 20 minutes. I was out in the garage on Saturday night building shelving for my basement and the heater worked great.

They are quite expensive but I got this one from my grandpa and just had to pay to get it installed and then patch up the hole in his basement where I took the heater from.

http://www.hellersgas.com/Showrooms/Empire Comfort/Direct Vent Wall Furnaces/index.html

20. jim123

jim123

Let us know how that convection heater works. I have a Mr. Heater 45000 btu that hangs from the ceiling but was not able to dig a trench for the gas line before the ground froze this year.
    I tried to put my 26500 btu bbq grill in there just to see what it would do. On a 10 degree day, it raised the temp 2 degrees in a half hour. Not worth the effort. I left a co detector in there while it was running and it did not register anything. It registers 280 when you blow cigarette smoke into it though.
    I save big $$$ by doing my own repairs/maintance on our vehicles so I got a Mr. Heater 30,000-55,000 variable btu propane heater untill I get to dig the trench next spring. It works great. It was 3 degrees outside and it got up to 50 in half an hour on the high setting. The temp was still rising after I put it on the low setting where it is supposed to run 14 hours on a 20 lb bbq grill size tank that cost $17 to fill. It got up to 67 degrees in the 2 hours I was working in there. I only have 2 walls and the overhead door insulated so far.