I Need a CC Makeover

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Dobie, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Dobie

Dobie

Ok here is the deal. I have been carrying for about 20 years with a G21 in a Bianchi fanny pack. It’s very convenient and the only way I could carry Glockzilla around comfortably and concealed in hot <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Florida</st1:place></st1:State> weather.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am retiring the 21 to HD use and have a new Kahr CW45 and will pick up a G26 soon. My first plan has been to get a Crossbreed Super Tuck for the CW and a good gun belt. Beyond that I am thinking of some changes in clothing to suit the new carry methods. I would like some suggestions that work for hot weather casual wear. I dress in gym attire allot and long pants and t shirt when not in gym stuff. Very rarely wear slacks and dress shirts. I am tall (6'3) and about 230# and athletic. Finding t shirts long enough to cover my waist with arms raised usually gets me into a ridiculously large shirt that hangs off me like a bag. I already know I am going to have to make some changes on the fit of my clothes to more roomy pants and shirts to help conceal. I am thinking maybe cargo shorts and some longer casual button down shirts worn outside the shorts to start. <o:p></o:p>
    Any suggestions would be very appreciated along with specific brands of stuff. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    So outfit the casual larger guy for hot weather with the two guns mentioned CW45 and G26. I am open to all suggestions on holsters and clothes. Carrying one or the other and not likely both. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks<o:p></o:p>
    Dobie <o:p></o:p>

2. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

If you have had good luck with the fanny pack for the last 20 years and are well-experienced using it, why mess with success?

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

This is kind of what I was thinking too. If it aint broke, why try and fix it? :dunno:

It will take a LOT of practice to generate new muscle memory for anything you decide to change over to as far as carry location. I knew how messed up I was for a while when I re-located my wallet to my front pocket after I started carrying. I caught myself reaching to the back pocket for about the first month or two before it was automatic to reach for the new location.

However, please do not take what I said as a negative thing. I just figured I would offer some food for thought. I say if you are set on a new set-up, then maybe pocket or ankle carry would be your best bet? That way, your shirt rising when you reach for something would be no big deal.

4. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

You should be able to hide those with your size easily. If you pull your belt tight and let your pants/shorts ride high to help with concealment then just get extra length.

5. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

Maybe a "big and tall" store for shirts?

6. fritter60

fritter60

I have the same problem I have the monkey like upper with short legs. I'm 6'3" and 250 but my inseam is only 32. So what I've learned to do is order my shirts at the store for example if the XL fits but is too short I askthem to order me a XLT xtra large tall and the usually ship it to your house free.

7. Dobie

Dobie

I likely will get another fanny pack in a much smaller size but also would like to have some alternate carry methods to blend in in different places.
    The pack shines in concealability and wearing clothes that dont lend to holster wear but I would also like to have some methods where nothing external is present.

I am in the gym allot so most of my shorts are gym type with an elastic waist and string inside that wont do for a holster. So I was thinking a cargo short (I have never owned) would have large pockets for hiding things and belt loops for that gun belt and still be hot weather casual.
    I have a buddy who is carrying a Taurus 45 in a Crossbreed with cargo shorts and it works for him although we are different proportions.

I have stuck with one method of carry for two decades out of necessity due to large gun in hot environment and will not completly abandon the pack method but now with more concealable carry guns the options have to be better and I am looking for some suggestions on these options.

8. CSnakes

CSnakes

Are you Hulk Hogan? really?

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Apparel,Uniforms/Base_Layers/T-Shirts/40011

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/4...l=index&category_id=40&_Concealment+Clothing/

would something like this work?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  9. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

10. Dobie

Dobie

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will get a small fanny pack for the gym type attire. I dont think Bianchi makes them anymore so I will look for another brand pack.
    I am going to order the CB for IWB and just have to shop some shorts with belt loops and some larger pockets. I figured a cargo short might conceal good and have the extra storage for the extra mag, knife, cell ect.

Thanks again

11. dosei

dosei

Smartcarry when you have to be beltless and packless.

When going IWB, always use a belt made for task. In so many ways, the belt is more important than the holster...don't shortchange yourself on either one. Also, try wearing an Underarmor "Heat Gear" undershirt...the snug fitting kind...with any shirt you want (that is long enough for cover use) over it. The smooth fabric makes your cover shirt drape better, and makes IWB carry more comfortable. Just DO NOT use cotton for an undershirt...it's worthless.

12. skyugo

skyugo

i find a G26 in a decent IWB holster is very concealable. even with a fitted t-shirt. make sure you bump your pants size up and inch or 2 to leave room for it.
    i prefer to carry slightly ahead of the hip. easier to conceal and defend, as well as a quicker draw. behind the hip can be a bit more comfortable though.

i just picked up a high noon "mr softy" which although inexpensive, seems well made, and is quite comfortable.

13. Dobie

Dobie

Good suggestion on the two shirt approach. I like the Underarmor compression under shorts and wear them exclusively.
    Since I havent worn a proper gun belt before what are the top three choices?
    I see Cross Breed sells belts, are they any good?

14. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

How so??? I'm wearing cotton undershirts, and it's been VERY comfortable. And, I live in S. Florida.

15. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I'm wearing a CB belt now. Had it for a couple of months. It's been very good for it's intended use. These belts are nothing like a dress belt. They ain't pretty.

I've ordered two Beltman belts that, at least online, look a bit dressier than the CB belt. It's been a month since I ordered... still waiting. I'll report back once I've gotten them and tried them out.

16. dosei

dosei

The Beltman
    http://www.thebeltman.net/
    His horsehide belts are among the best...all of his belts are excellent.

Make sure your belt & belt clips match...clips that fit a 1-1/2" belt should not be used on a 1-1/4" belt. I believe the Supertuck's clips are made for 1-1/2" wide belt, but you should call to make sure.

I have also heard good things about Crossbreed belts.

Wilderness Belts are loved by many
    http://thewilderness.com/

Sizing is a bit of a critical issue...call and talk to whomever you decide to order your belt from. It may be best to get the holster first, to help with sizing yourself for the correct belt size.

17. dosei

dosei

While cotton is highly absorbent, it holds that moisture. Wash a cotton undershirt and an Underarmor Heatgear shirt together and then put both in the dryer and begin drying them on low. Check every 5 minutes to see which is dry first...then continue checking to see how much longer it take the cotton shirt to dry. Our bodies cool down using a process of evaporative cooling. As the body heats up, it sweats...as the sweat evaporates, the body cools. It is NOT the sweat on our skin that cools us...it is the evaporating of the sweat which cools us off. Cotton simply holds that sweat against our bodies and inhibits the body's cooling process. Underarmor (and other such shirts) are designed to dry fast...thus, they actually assist in cooling the body instead of hindering. They wick the sweat off the body to the outer layer of the material, spread it over a larger surface and allow it to evaporate much quicker than normal...keeping your cool and dry. Backpackers have a saying..."Cotton Kills". It causes the body to overheat in the summer and freeze in the winter (cotton also loses all insulation value when wet...whereas other fabrics such as wool maintain insulation properties when wet). As a "base layer" material, cotton is one of the worst material choices there is.

18. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I'm well aware of the concept and physics of evaporative cooling. I'm also familiar with "cotton kills," as I planned a trekking trip to the Himalayas in Nepal. (Had to cancel 2 days before departure due to my wife's surprise pregnancy. :) ) So, I would agree that in THOSE situations, cotton would not be good. And, I do own some rather exotic fabric undergarments. Spent $4000 at REI getting ready for the trip I never took! :(

But, for the average guy who works in an A/C office environment and may break a little sweat going to the air-conditioned car, cotton is hardly worthless. In fact, it's very comfortable, cheap, and very effective "base layer."

I'm not running or working out while CCW, nor am I trekking in the Himalayas. And, I don't work outdoors. I don't need any insulative properties in my undergarments. I'm not dripping sweat in the normal course of my day. So, I submit expensive, exotic undergarments would be overkill for many people.

19. dosei

dosei

Cotton also completely lacks the smooth nature of most compression type undershirts, which makes a surprising difference in how your outer layer drapes and, in turn, conceals. Cotton, especially if your outer shirt is also cotton, is a bit like velcro when compared to slick compression fabrics. Since a slick compression style shirt offers no resistance to the movement of the outer shirt, it allows the outer shirt to move more naturally over the weapon and reduce printing caused by your outer shirt "outlining" the concealed weapon. Cotton also does not let your fingers glide around the grip as nicely should you need to draw the weapon.

Having tried both, I'll never buy a cotton undershirt again. There is just no comparison.

BTW...congrats on the kid!
    Hope you still get a chance to do that trip sometime.

20. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I understand that rationale. And while it makes sense, I have not noticed any problem with how my outer garment drapes. My Crossbreed Supertuck doesn't have the combat cut, so drawing is not inhibited by my undershirt.

But, I'm sure with a slick undergarment it would be better in both respects.

Any sources for the undershirts you're referring to? And, do they come with "v-necks?"