close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need a bike

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by xj4play, May 11, 2006.

1. xj4play

xj4play

Ive finally decided to get another street bike. Ive been out of the loop on whats good. My last street bike was a 96 gsxr 600, then i rode dirtbikes for the past 3 years. I liked my 600 back then and recently rode my friends cbr600 (he did some tuning work) and it felt great, i dont know if i should go with something bigger, it would be primarily to commute 100 miles a day without spending $35 on gas a day. Whats a good used bike to look for thats not too old?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Stick with what you know. A slightly used Gixxer600 will do just fine, assuming that you don't mind commuting in that riding position.

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

You can save gas money commuting on a bike, but $300 for a set of tires every 5,000 miles will make up the difference quick. Let alone, chain, sprockets, and valve adjustments.

I realized that I needed to ride a bike for the joy, not the imaginary savings.;)

Any of the modern sportbikes are solid units, pick the ergos and styling that fits you best.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It all depends on what you use for commuting. I'll bet that a Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500, or a Nighthawk 750/Rebel 750 will make dirt cheap commuters. Their tires are cheap and wear decently for mileage. With minimal maintenace, you can get the chains to last 30,000-miles. And these things require little maintenance too.

But when you graduate to sport bikes as commuters, then yes, it will cost a whole lot more.

5. 40Pirate

40Pirate Renaissance Man

currently riding an '86 Honda Shadow VT700 to work and around.

-Shaft Drive
    -hydraulic lifters
    -60+mpg
    - dirt cheap insurance
    - adequate power/speed

yes its nothing fancy or cool but it gets the job done!

:pirates:

6. BikerRN

BikerRN

Like someone else said, stick with what you know. However, be forewarned, the new 600 GSX is way better than the old version, IMHO.

Personally I know V-Twins, so I ride a Ducati Multistrada. Have fun and keep the rubber side down.