I need a 2.5" EDC blade

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by crazyasian1, Aug 21, 2018.

1. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Hey all,

I need some suggestions on a new EDC knife. The only stipulation is that it must not exceed 2.5”. I just got a new job at a certain enormous, five-sided facility, in the National Capital Region and they frown on anything remotely resembling a weapon (or alcohol, or fun…) being brought near the facility. I can legally carry a “tool” that is 2.5” or shorter without too much fear of repercussion. Yeah, I know, FML right?

I found a Kershaw Shuffle in the bottom of my stockpile but I’m not a fan of it. I know my options are severely limited, but the I have faith in the brain trust here.

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Read what Fastbolt wrote. Carrying a 2 bladed trapper or a 3 bladed folder from Case would be ideal. No one would identify the unit as a weapon. They are sold without clips. If your job is more hands-on and you would be expected to carry tools on your belt, then choose a Leatherman tool like the Wave.

3. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Whether or not something is a weapon depends either on the user's intent, or whether it's primarily designed to be used in that manner. The vast majority of pocket knives are not designed that way.

4. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

CQC-14-BT-1-1024x491.jpg Emerson-Combat-Karambit001_1529603447606.jpg Emerson cqc 14 "snubby " or an Emerson combat karambit.

5. biscuits&gravy

biscuits&gravy

Do they do cavity searches?

crazyasian1 likes this.
  6. heavyduty

heavyduty

A Kershaw Ken Onion “Chive” would be ideal at 1.9”.

crazyasian1 likes this.
  7. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

crazyasian1 and KUETSA like this.
  8. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Spyderco Ladybug 3 Salt blade just 1.94" yet it's still ergonomically functional, yellow looks untactical on your keychain. Choices included serrated or plain edge, hawkbill or straight blade.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    GlockyQ and crazyasian1 like this.
  9. LimeyLad

LimeyLad Banned

If they don't, use this:
    092089.jpg
    to carry this:
    41my4PL66UL._SX425_.jpg

otherwise the small Spydercos have served me well!

crazyasian1 likes this.
  10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

2C81351C-4AB2-400B-8293-7AE625268FEE.jpeg I carry my 2” Kershaw pretty much every day.

heavyduty and crazyasian1 like this.
  11. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

45C075A2-A3FB-46E5-BF70-575AA58B9969.jpeg Or you could go old school.

12. cbird77

cbird77

Kershaw Chive or Leek if you can get away with a little larger blade, The Leek is my daily and carries like a smaller sleek blade. Opens fast and is very ergonomic.

13. drumgod

drumgod

Spyderco Chicago? It has a 2" blade:
    [​IMG]

R13 likes this.
  14. illrooster132

illrooster132

15. Schaffer

Schaffer

What about a multitool instead?

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Uh, if you're talking about entering a federal facility with stringent security measures in place, you might give a lot of consideration to the concept of "words mean things".

Also, instead of thinking to fall back on "without too much fear of repercussion", how about leaning more toward "specificity and particularity"? ;)

Does "must not exceed 2.5 inches" mean the overall length of the "tool", or any blade and/or extension contained within the "tool". You don't want to surprise anyone, nor be surprised if your choice is out-of-bounds.

Read the facility rules and employee handbook, and ASK someone in control of building/premises security about what sort of pocketable "tools", aka pocket knives, are permissible. Don't guess. Don't rely on a sheepish grin and someone's sense of humor if you guess incorrectly. :)

If the 2.5" means the entire tool can't exceed that length?

Well, one of the common Case Peanut 2-blade pocket knives is 2.88" long, even though the main blade is only 2.1".

On the other hand, the Victorinox Swiss Army Class SD Multi-Tool Folding Pocket Knife is only 2.25" in length, with knife blade, scissors, nail file with screwdriver tip, toothpick, and tweezers.

If by length they mean the tools contained within the tool body? ASK. ;)

You're only looking for a convenient cutting tool for any daily tasks, right? They're probably not going to have much of a sense of humor about what they might "frown upon" as something approaching a "weapon".

Besides, the average business office is usually brimming with all manner of things that could be put into service as field-expedient 'weapons' for close contact problems. A nicely stout metal-bodied real ink pen (not a look-at-me-I'm-tactical pen), or a wooden ruler with a brass insert edge can make for surprisingly effective close range options. (Yes, that means some training, practice and a degree of physical fitness.) Kind of hard to discount the potential "effectiveness" of a high-velocity, human-propelled office chair in some circumstances, too.

I've worked in controlled and secured environments where the sometimes changing policies and definitions of approved pocket knives made it difficult to carry something other than an itty bitty SAK. It is what it is.

Congrats on the new job. Don't blow it over a EDC knife. :p

R13 and crazyasian1 like this.
  17. benben

benben

2.45” Spyderco Lil’ Native. G-10 slabs, compression lock, wire clip, S30V steel, 2.5oz, stout little knife! If not this check out a Spyderco Dragonfly.

18. 1bigK

1bigK

If you are looking for a better quality knife that will fit the limitations required, check out the Zero Tolerance 0900 S/E Flipper. Has a 2.5” blade made of S35VN steel that will hold a keen edge; uses a thumb flipper to open, and a solid liner lock.

The ZT’s are a little pricy but they are built like a tank and with a very solid feel. Well worth their price tag IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Sexy as hell... but cost too much to risk potential confiscation until I figure out ROEs.

20. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Lol, ok, YOU tell that to Federal Force Protection officers... I myself am an LEO which counts for exactly SQUAT to this agency. I'm not mad at them for it, but I have to function in their AO according to their rules.