I moved to a "stand your ground" state, whats different for me?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by eccho, Feb 13, 2013.

1. eccho

eccho

I have a permit from Iowa to carry, and I just moved to Montana not long long ago.

Montana is a "stand your ground" state and Iowa isn't. You have a duty to retreat in Iowa unless retreating entails "risk of death or great bodily harm".

That's the standard I'm used to.

I want to take a class here, but montana has a wierd requirement that you live here for six months before getting an MT permit. I don't see how that helps anybody.

I was hoping you could try to explain what the differences are to me.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Well, I'll leave it to your state government to explain the six month wait to you. Personally, I figure if you live there, are registered to vote there, pay taxes there...you're a resident. But I don't get to make the rules.

As to the stand your ground element, it doesn't make a helluva lot of difference in terms of the rules of engagement. Even in the "retreat states," retreat is ONLY demanded when it can be accomplished in complete safety to oneself and other innocent parties. Hard to imagine any of us shooting someone if we could have accomplished a safe withdrawal.

The advantage of clarifying in law the right to stand one's ground in public is that it makes the aftermath much easier to process, in terms of clarifying the fact that you did not break the law.

best,
    Mas