I loves me my Glocks, but....

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by steve-in-kville, Jan 8, 2020.

1. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

.... I plan to add another snubbie to the family in the next few weeks. I'm caught between the S&W 442 (hammerless) and the 638 (shrouded hammer). I've owned 442's before and loved the bead-blasted finish. But the 638 seems attractive as well.

FWIW, this will be a working gun, not a safe queen. Thoughts? Comments?

WPGlocks and azbuckeye like this.
  2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I have a handful of S&W wheelguns and still consider myself a Glock fanboy. Of the models you are considering, I prefer the 442/642 hammer less and regularly ccw one in the summertime. While I realize one can pull the hammer on a 638, if you’re going to have a shroud why not internalize it?

Redeemed, glock1097 and azbuckeye like this.

3. jbaav

jbaav

I carry my 442 more than any other gun by quite a margin. Slips so easily into my pocket summer or winter. I’ve been intrigued by the 638 myself and will likely add at some point too. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I will add that I changed grips to G10 Hogues as I found the stock ones sticky in pocket.

azbuckeye likes this.
  4. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

I agree on the grips. I never kept any of the rubber boot-style grips, always went for something made of wood.

azbuckeye likes this.
  5. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

I can understand the dilemma but I long ago got in the habit (with some training) of shooting double-action revolvers double-action only, so it's a 442/642 for me. I've read some folks saying that the hammer shroud area can pick up lint, etc. where the centennial design is all closed.

If you have a J-frame in your pocket it's all good, anyway.
    442_books.jpg

6. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

7. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

Yes, that's an old set of stag grips. It's my guess these were made in the 1980's.

[EDIT]
    I have no trouble shooting it with those grips, btw. It's loaded with Federal P38HST1S and comfortable to shoot.
    [/EDIT]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  8. JGIORD

JGIORD

The more I move away from Glock, they keep pulling me back in!

nerr likes this.
  9. nerr

nerr

No conflict: totally different universes. Another benefit is that it's down on the gun-grabbers list, so it will be a while after they outlaw anything semi- and figure out that revolvers are bad enough to allow only single-shots.

azbuckeye likes this.
  10. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

I have really been enjoying mine, found a great deal on a new, unlock.

20191108_111625.jpg

WPGlocks, glock1097 and azbuckeye like this.
  11. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

You can't go wrong with either and no matter which one you end up with, you're going to wish you bought the other!

Hope that helps! :wavey:

fastbolt likes this.
  12. Bradley T

Bradley T

I like the 442. That Bodyguard looks wierd with that big hump on the back. No contest, I vote 442.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  13. SK2344

SK2344

The only snubnose I now own is the S&W 638 with no lock! IMO, it is the best out there and I will never sell it!

14. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

I have both a 442 and Ruger SP101 and would like to add a S&W Model 36 and 19 snubs to the collection.

WPGlocks and mikey357 like this.
  15. Chup

Chup

I
    Like the Hump Backs but, my favorite is the 442. I carry these most days. 698EA652-C8AD-488A-9E1B-44DE639CCAC0.jpeg

WPGlocks, mikey357 and jbaav like this.
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've developed a fondness for the Centennial-style J's (and a Ruger SP101DAO) over the years, but then the bulk of my training, drills and quals have all involved DA shooting.

I still like having the SA option on the 36/649's, though, as having the time to thumb-cock the little snubs into SA for shooting at distances out beyond 40yds can make for easier shooting.

OP, if you have the cash, I'd pick up both the 442 & 638, but that's me. :)

Once I discovered the joys of carrying Airweights, I started acquiring lighter weight J's.

A pair of 642-1's, meaning an original 642-1 I ordered as an armorer when they first became rated for +P, and one from when they were reintroduced in the catalog.
    [​IMG]

A pair of M&P 340's. One was from the very first production run of them (again, ordering it from the factory), and the other one was from when they started offering it without the ILS.
    [​IMG]

This one is a little unique, as it was from a small (800 units?) canceled overseas police order, made using the older Airweight 37-2 model, modified to be DAO. I added some smooth grip stocks that were refinished and given to me by a close friend, and I added a bit of red nail polish to the front ramp serrations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My older 649, which I bought as a young cop when I couldn't find a standard 36 or 60 in anyone's display case at the time (hot-selling guns in the 80's). I briefly added the Pachmayr Tac Holster (grip) for this pic, for posting on a private forum. I came across it when sorting through some old stuff from my younger days, and vaguely remembered picking it up when I was carrying my 649 in a vest cargo pocket back in those days. Widget days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While J's are cool, I also like the older K-snub's. This one has special meaning to me, as it came from the estate of a very close friend when he passed and we were handling his firearms collection for his widow through a FFL dealer who handled private estate sales of firearms and swords. My friend built it at the factory back then they gave you a 'matched' stripped frame and yoke, and you picked the rest of the parts to assemble and hand-fit into a properly spec'd revolver. You could buy it at the end of the class. M65 3".
    [​IMG]

Yes, I also like fedoras. ;)

WPGlocks, mikey357 and Chup like this.
  17. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

I wish people would stop calling the 442/642 "Hammerless", it's about like calling a Magazine a Clip!

Chup and WPGlocks like this.
  18. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I promise I’ll do better.

Tell S&W that-
    BD20AAC0-61B0-455A-9E0A-E39D2A9C78E3.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Chup likes this.
  19. WPGlocks

WPGlocks

642 for life!

Chup likes this.
  20. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Yeah, if I was gonna get another snubby, I'd get this one.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-pro-series-model-442-moon-clip
    Everything you'd need in a snubby. Moon clips and no lock are the big hitters for me.

Chup likes this.