close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I love my Food Saver

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by JellyBelly, Jan 30, 2006.

1. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Meat Popsicle

Today while at Sears I picked up one of those vaccuum sealer thingies. (It's a technical term, bear with me...);e After that I picked up about 15 lbs of hamburger and, using a coffee cup as a mould, made single serving packages and put them in the freezer.

It's not a perfect system. I went through many bags because I didn't use enough material they wouldn't seal. You have to be pretty generous with the plastic.

Who else has one, and have you had any luck freezing marinades with it? I have a chicken marinade that I do and I've thought about sealing a few chicken breasts in with the marinade, then tossing it all in the freezer to eat at a later date.

2. noway

noway

I have the food saver also ( v1090 ) it okay. I'll give you a few pointers;

1> use the bag cutter device if you have one. A straight cut bag is easier to seal on the seal and vaccum+seal function in step #2

2> cut the bag bigger than the item you are sealing like 3" on the open end

3> makre sure the bag is place in the vaccum channel straight

4> keep the vaccum channel clean if it starts to fillup with blood,food, and liquids

enjoy ! You will look it and they are great for long term storage ;)

btw: I season alot of meat and then vaccum seal and store it in the freezer. It should do the marinade but it will suck most of it up. I would reccommend you marinade the meat let it set in the refrig part for 4-8hours before sealing

3. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I have no friggin' idea why I'm posting this but perhaps it has something to do with being at work for 12+hours.

A few days ago I ordered some Gun Butter and it arrived today shrink wrapped in Food Saver branded plastic.

It was a tight seal but I don't know why it needs this type of sealing. Perhaps it's to keep the top from coming off and leaking everywhere. But there it is - Food Saver.

4. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

JB,
    Some good hints so far.
    Try partially pre freezing burgers and other items and then vacuum seal- the food will now hold it's shape. I'm thinking TV dinners, cake and pies, etc.
    Same with soups and marinades in ice trays, then pop into bags,vacuum and freeze. This will allow you to cook your meat any way you like. Buy the marinating attachment-it's great.
    This tool is addicting to use-from ammo to silverware to important papers between 2 pieces of cardboard.
    You can wash and reuse the bags for extra savings. Food Saver is the leading name-I believe Tilia is the manufacturer.
    Enjoy.

5. dubltap

dubltap

I seal everything with mine. A steak will last 2 years in the freezer with no freezer burn. If you have a Sams Club near by. Get your rolls there. they sell a box of 6 rolls for$39.00

6. rktman26

rktman26

I don't have a bag-cutter on mine (it's older) and I always make crooked with scissors. I now use a straight edge and a utility knife to cut my bags. It works great.
    I also vacuum-packed an extra first-aid kit before my last trip to Iraq- it keeps the dust out of stuff until you need it.

7. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Meat Popsicle

Imagine sealing up your guns in a bag with a little desiccant for long term storage in an attic. The rolls of bags are long enough I bet I could do a long gun without difficuly. I might do that with some Super-Vel ammo I have, just to preserve it.

8. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

9. noway

noway

{I don't have a bag-cutter on mine (it's older) and I always make crooked with scissors. }

The bag cutter is not actually on the unit, it's a 2nd item that holds the bag on the roll plus allow you to pull X amount of bag and squarely cut it. TH enew food saver top premium models have this as and addition.

just thought I FWIW everybody.

10. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i have one and love it.

as someone else suggested, you can cut your bag a bit bigger. i also take a paper towel and roll/fold it so it's long and about 2" wide and put that just below where the seal is going to be. it absorbs the juices before they get to the seal.

i also have the quick marinator (it's a rectangle dish that you can vaccuum seal and marinade meat/veggies in 30 minutes) which is pretty cool. i bought it (actually i bought 2) at the foodsaver website. it's pretty cool and works well if you need to marinade something quick. i highly recommend it!

11. noway

noway

hey that's a cool device. Lately I been marinading in a dish,drain any excess liquid and then off to the bag for sealing. I might have to invest into one of these.

12. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i bought mine off of their "clearance page" for 16.99 each. they are "factory 2nds" and when i called to find out what the defect was, they said the functionality of the items were fine, they just had blemishes in the plastic so they didn't pass "inspection." i have yet to see a blemish and they both work perfectly fine. so if you're a bargain shopper, you might want to see if they have any on clearance. :)

13. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

They are a worth every penny ... my foodsaver compact has got to be about 15 - 18 years old! I bought one of the originals and I've since added some containers that can be used for marinade or storage. I recently found some generic bags at Wal-Mart for half the price of the name brand bags and they work great ... you may want to give them a try.