close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Love Boating!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Been away for several days. I've been soaking up as I can on our first boat.

We bought a 1988 Wellcraft Aruba 232 Cruiser with a Hydolift and our slip rent at our local marina paid until next May. It has a Mercruiser 350 Magnum stem drive with an Alpha 1 outdrive. It has a nice cabin with plenty of sleeping room for my family of 4, a small head, sink, shower, cooktop, and fridge. It only has 335 hours in it, and has 2 previous owners, both locals, who have kept it stored on a lift since new.

We got into it for $6500. I took the online safety course, and got my vessel endorsement, and we bought the kids sporting PFDs and some nice tubes.

I have taken it out a couple of times, and the depth finder is very helpful here. I'm on the Tennessee River/Guntersville Lake. I am getting the feel of navigating the channel, and building confidence. The family has never been together as much and enjoying it as we are now.

I'm going to have my cooling system checked and my annual service done next week as a precaution by a friend and trusted boat mechanic. She runs a little hot when pushed accordin to the gauge. I just want to make sure we're good before we set off I local adventures.

We should have done this a long time ago.

2. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

Congrats! I love boating as well.

I would definitely have all fluids changed and also the freshwater impeller! That should be changed every other season and can result in your overheating.

Enjoy!

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I have a couple friends that have owned Wellcrafts and I've always been a big fan so I would say you made a great choice.

4. Micad

Micad

Congrats! Don't listen to the guys that will give you the old cliche about the first day and the last. If you love boating you just do. I started with a 19' Galaxy Ski boat, and now have a 44' Sea Ray Express Bridge. My grand kids have been on the boat since they were infants.
    You are right about the family being together. It is great way to spend time with the wife, kids, and even extended family and friends. The kids will learn so much swimming fishing and riding the water toys.
    As to navigating, the depth finder is very important. But the best thing you can spend money on to learn is fuel.
    Enjoy, and ask questions anytime.

5. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

boat owner myself. only A 21 ft cuddy, but, it's relaxing.

i will admit, wish i hadn't gone with the i/o that bellows seal is a real drag to replace.

88 sea ray seville with a 4.3/alpha one.

6. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Sounds like you got a good deal.
    Welcome to the waterworld.

7. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks. The wife and kids want to go down to the boat every day to clean and just be at the docks. There is a burger joint/tackle shop across the street, a nice bathhouse with laundry, a public pool, private parking for slip owners, free weekly waste pump outs, mechanics on site, and it feels like a getaway place of sorts that is only 10 minutes away.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Enjoy the boat, and may you create many happy memories on it. :)

9. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

i want to throw a caveat to anyone toying with the idea of buying a boat.

in this economy, the idea of a used boat may seem to fit your price range...however....

ovoid any o.m.c. outdrive units like the plague. parts are not readily available, very expensive, and they just plain suck to work on. if you go inboard outdrive, look for mercruiser....and buy a service manual. worth the 40 bucks.
    (i'm sure there is someone with a stringer drive, or a cobra drive that'll disagree, but, i go by experience)

take a safe boating class. not expensive, and you'll learn a lot. they really are fun to own, make that fishing spot a possibility, and give you a quiet place when no one is around.

10. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Never had anything as nice, boat wise, as you guys on here, but even so I still loved tying/anchoring off under a bridge or a stand of trees casting shade over the water, you know, after a "hard morning":whistling: of fishing, and taking a nap or eating lunch while enjoying the scenery as I floated.

Glad you like it R28.

11. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

did it float?

than it was perfect.

12. Restless28

Restless28

13. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

that's a beaut, restless!

14. Restless28

Restless28

We like it. :supergrin:

15. Micad

Micad

I know what you mean restless. I come down after work every Friday. Sometimes my wife won't if she has to work Saturday. I tell people all the time that the whole world changes when I go through the gate at the end of my pier.

16. vart

vart

Wow! Beautiful boat!

I want a boat but my wife wants an RV. I'm trying to convince her we'd both be happy with a 24'+ cabin cruiser...:supergrin:

17. Restless28

Restless28

You go Vart! You can have a lot more fun and relax time on the boat, IMO.

18. Conan1

Conan1

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand..... or Broke On A Trailer..... At least thats' what I keep hearing. I have a 2001 Bass boat w/ a 200 Hp Merc. Very few problems.

19. Restless28

Restless28

Yep, I hear the same old jokes too, but it's about more than mechanical stuff for us. I never got it until I went on my first solo cruise.

20. SMOKEin

SMOKEin