close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I LOATHE my HOA!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J.Kill, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Simple words: "Live and Let Live."

No way I'll EVER move into a place with a Home Owners Association. It is a choice some people make for their own personal reasons. Power to 'em. It'll keep them away from normal people like me. They can live in their little enclaves. I don't like to say never, but I'll say it on this one.

If I want to leave my fishtank sitting out in my backyard, that is my deal, not my neighbor's. Or if I want to mow every three weeks, you know what? I live in a free country. If there is a real health hazard or something, then I'm ok with doing the right thing for the community, but if your fat *** just doesn't like the way my house looks? Well...tough....luck.

I'd be living out in the country if it was just me to decide. Give me a few acres and let me build up my compound. One of these years.....

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That's obvious.

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

You are in fantasy land.

4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Around here closing cannot be completed without signing HOA docs, no signature - no house.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Which is why I would never consider buying a house in a place with an HOA. Even without the HOA, I can't imagine why people would live in the kind of neighborhoods that have them. Blocks of identical cookie cutter crap with a minivan in every driveway. It's basically my vision of hell.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I know that it is like that here, but is that just because someone hasnt challenged it in court?

Is that a matter of law or of just practicality?

I dont really know.

For example, if you could show that HOA convents prevented the sale of a house that you owned (i.e. the buyer refused to buy and signed everything except that) you can show damages, could you sue the HOA for preventing the sale?

Again, I dont know. I dont know if anyone tried. I have seen where some people have had court cases won and had the HOA restriction removed from the deed because of actions of the HOA and the remedy by the court was to void the contract, so an HOA being attached to a deed is not a restriction that MUST be carried. I just dont know what the challenges are.

7. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Obviously you havent seen the minivan commercial. I am pretty sure he was riding a Harley and needed his wife to pick him up

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

We are even. I'd never consider buying a house in a dense part of a city without an HOA. My neighborhood is not cookie cutter in any way - homes from 50 years old to brand new, from maybe $650K - way over $10 million. I'm not sure if a single neighbor has a mini-van either.

9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I used to be on an HOA's Architectural Committee and this came up a time or two. "I'll sue you if the HOA does not allow my buyer to buy without signing the covenant docs etc....." was how the conversation went both times. The HOA lawyer told us this was long decided private contract law and further the HOA would likely not be sued because no sane lawyer would file the papers.

And I'm not claiming that all HOA CCRs are wholly "legal". In fact I'm sure most have some areas that are illegal/unenforceable etc. That's does not make the entire CCR illegal or unenforceable.

10. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

My experience serving on the HOA board was different. We NEVER had anyone ask to leave or had a buyer refuse to sign.

What we had was HUGE mess from the previous president who allowed his friends to build things (and him personally) that were in violation of the covenants with a "variance". The one building (garage) we turned down after we tried to clean the mess up, they not only threatened to get a lawyer, but did. Our lawyer told us that "variances" are not allowed in the contract law, especially when they were given by members of the board to themselves. They said that what ever variances are given become the defacto standard. The lawyer advised us to let him build what he wanted and pay his legal fees before it got more expensive for us.

Basically, what I learned is 2-5% of the people in the HOA complain (i think the filter would limit the word I could use) about EVERYTHING. The walk around the neighborhood and write down and photo EVERYTHING. Then come to HOA.

The best thing to do is tell them "thank you, we will take that under advisement" and not discuss it with them. Once you start playing their game, they just keep doing it.

But there is also about 2-5% of the homeowners that you spend 90% of the time dealing with.

My issue was that I opened my mouth about how much money they were spending and the errors in their budgets. They also didnt have proper accounting (money was missing) and I pointed that out. This was at the annual meeting (to approve budgets, elect members, etc). The president who had caused the problems (and couldnt explain where $25k was...it was missing buried in many different sheets that were to accounting standards) told me (in front of everyone) if I thought I could do better, then go for it. To my dismay, they didnt elect him...

Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut...

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

This has made me realize that HOA neighborhoods do have a use - it's where people like you need to live so the rest of us can reside in peace.

12. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

:rofl: :thumbsup:

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

This.

It's very simple. You won't sign the HOA agreement, you don't buy the house. That HOA agreement is a binding contract and just as relevant as all the other closing documents.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I get that is how it generally works,but what legal principal allows me to sign a contract when I buy a house that is binding on the next buyer?

I just dont see the legal principla behind it (but I am also not a lawyer and specifically not a real estate lawyer)

15. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

What is really great is. Buy a house, not be told about there is a HOA. Then get a bill for back dues..... Yea, that didn't go over to well.

Been there a while, no real issues. Just yearly dues for snow removal.

16. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I've purchased two houses in the last 6 years.
    Both times, I've walked away from several homes based solely on the condition of one or more of the nearby houses.
    It's a buyer's market; If I don't like your neighbors, I sure as hell don't want them to be my neighbors.
    One of the houses I looked at during our last move, I drove by again just last week.
    It has since gone into foreclosure and is now abandoned, and looks every bit as bad as the cross-the-street neighbor's house that made me walk away in the first place. (neighbor still lives there...and still has half a pontoon boat sitting in the driveway, and two would-be dirt track race cars (minus engines and hoods) sitting on blocks in the side yard).

So yeah, the condition of this guy's neighbor’s house cost him a lot more than resale value. Its failure to sell cost him his home, credit rating and probably all the family repercussions that go with losing your home to foreclosure.

Am I pro-HOA? No, not really. I happen to live in a very weak HOA neighborhood now. $125 per YEAR. The mailboxes stay repaired. The grass stays mowed. People fly their American flags, or Colts flags or Marine Corps flags.
    Wanna rebuild a car? Fine. Don't do it in your front yard for two years; do it in your garage.
    Wanna collect old refridgerators? Fine. Rent a storage unit.
    Like cats? Fine. Don't have 500 of them.
    Like dogs? Fine. Don't let them roam free. (and don't have 500 of them either).
    Wanna raise pigs? Not fine at all...go away and buy a farm.

That's worth $125 a year to me, so that I don't have to be the a-hole calling the SPCA on the crazy cat lady whose house stinks of ammonia for 1/4 mile in all directions, or reminding my neighbor that if he wants to run a used car lot, he needs to get a business license and display his 25 pieces of crap in a used car lot, not on the sidewalk.

To be fair...I've also walked away from houses because their HOA dues were too high, or their rules too onerous.

17. HexHead

HexHead

I love threads like this. It lets us know who the GT white trash are.

18. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

So if you live in under an HOA, and a house is abandoned, does the HOA pay for upkeep and repairs needed to make it sell?

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

In both cases the buyers did eventually sign.

I'd agree that a couple percent of people do 99% of the complaining. We also put nearly all of those complaints in the the circular file.

20. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Depends on the HOA.
    RTFC. (C=contract)
    In mine, yes.
    They can also put a lien against the property for that work.