close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I LOATHE my HOA!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J.Kill, Oct 13, 2012.

1. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Or people who have been in the real estate sales/financing industry for two decades.

You are wrong and he is right. Keep bloviating all you want, it will not change that fact. You know exactly jack squat about what drives property values.

2. ray9898

ray9898

Hell...common sense and personal experience should tell people this. I know when I was looking at homes a few years ago I passed up a lower priced home that was nicer than the one we purchased because of the neighborhood. The neighbor on one side appeared to be running a car resoration business out of his driveway and the other side was a rental with at least 2 families in it. I loved the house but passed because of the neighbors.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

but what about your PERSONAL FREEEEEDOM!!!!!!

4. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

Make sure you hand them a measure of GFY and "You'll be paying the tow bill" on Monday. Granted, they'd popped you several times before, but with a new car and you waiting on a sticker THEY are providing...I think this one is pretty clear.

5. ray9898

ray9898

I am sure that homeowner was a fan.

6. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Pretty much. And they're also people you wouldn't want to live by to begin with. I'd rather live next to a guy working on his '66 Chevelle in the driveway than one that's out watering his lawn all the time. What a miserable existence HOA people have.

7. TK-421

TK-421

I'm 22 and know jack squat about realty, and even I know that the way your neighborhood looks, and how nice/crappy your neighbor's houses are, will affect your property value. :rofl:

If you buy a nice looking house, in a nice looking neighborhood for $300k, and then the neighborhood goes to ****, your house isn't going to be worth $300k anymore, no matter how much money you put into it to try and make it look nice. If the neighborhood goes to ****, your home's value will also go to ****.

8. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Bad schools, bad roads, high crime, high taxes, bad government, highway cutting through your front yard, too much retail, not enough retail, too much commercial development, a landfill, junkyard, overall dilapidated appearance of the neighborhood, and numerous foreclosures..... all DO harm property values.

Weeds in the neighbors yard, grass not cut weekly, grass not watered, a lack of parking stickers, cars backed in, colored Christmas lights, mailbox colors, backyard tomato plants, garage doors open, DO NOT harm property values.

It's not that some things don't harm property values. The question is, what really DOES. And most of the things the high brow wannabees and pricks think do, actually do not.

The whole direction of this thread is due to some of the above claiming the OP not having a parking sticker harms their property value, and his incompetent HOA is the defender of the property values. It's just stupid.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  9. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

There's a line in a Seinfeld episode about this very thing. His parents and their condo board was over reacting about something petty. Seinfeld says "they come down here to live, and enforce those rules". And that is what it is. People move into those areas so they can stick their nose in their neighbors business. Somehow, overly oppressive HOA's have become a status symbol.

10. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

That was basically about location. The local zoning code of that area apparently allowed multifamily dwellings. That kind of thing DOES hurt property values.

11. ray9898

ray9898

Negative....both homes were in a 1/4 mile of each other. Both were zoned the same but one had a HOA that set reasonable restrictions. The 'two families' appeared to be two female room mates with about 6 kids between them.

12. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

So you are implying that having roomates with children hurt the property value? You want to live under an HOA that limits the number of children? I suspect if we knew the pertinents, there is more to it that just the neighbors having a bunch of kids.

It sounds like you were wise to pass.

13. ray9898

ray9898

I am in fact implying having a rental home next door with likely relvolving unstable short term residents is not a positive factor.

I am also implying having a neighbor with 3 non-running vehicles in his yard, one covered by a blue tarp, that had not seen a weed trimmer around them all summer which the beautiful deck with screened in porch faced was also a detractor.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Since you are a high roller, why dont you explain to us why you walk into a Porsche dealership and it looks so much different than a chevy dealership? Why are there lattes machines and donuts for the customers? Why doesn't chevy invited people out a race track with some new corvettes or camaros to hammer on?

So when you are driving by all the used car dealerships in the poor areas (buy here/pay here places), do you think a BMW sitting on their lot has its value affected by the other cars around it? Sure it does. You question "what is wrong with it".

I can tell you, that how an area look DOES affect how much I will pay. If I see an el camino on blocks sitting in a driveway, I wont buy there. Its simple. I am not against working on cars (I like my toy and work on it). But I do that in a garage. The el camino is sitting out there because they have too much crap in their garage.

I wont live in a place that looks like a slum. If I wont buy your house, you're damn right it most likely affects you property values (well, since you have a $400M house that is a little out of my price range)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  15. harleypilot

harleypilot

The op's HOA obviously made a mistake when they towed his car, and as such they should reimburse him the towing fee. If they don't, he can take them to small claims court and probably win.
    As far as HOA's go, it doesn't really matter how bad you think the rules are, you signed the agreement when you bought in the neighborhood. You essentially gave your word that you would abide by them, so I don't see why there is any problem.
    If you don't like the rules, buy a house somewhere else. If you give your word on something, keep it.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

As much as I hate HOA's...you knew the rule and had 2 weeks to comply and you didn't bother to put the sticker on, so your car got towed. How is that anybody's fault but yours?

They didn't make a mistake and he won't win, according to what he says. They tow cars without a sticker - he knew he was supposed to have a sticker and didn't put one on. They win.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. harleypilot

harleypilot

I re-read the op and you are right. I was thinking he had asked for and was waiting for the new sticker. My mistake.

18. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

The home value argument is no different than a union justifying mandatory membership because the new employee will be financially better off.

I contract with a merchant to work, not with the other employees. I contract with the property seller when buying, not the neighbors.

Perhaps what we really need is right to live states.

19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Except with an HOA in this example he contracted with the HOA to park on THEIR property. He does not own the parking space.

When you sign an HOA contract when buying a detached house, you are contract with the property seller to buy under those conditions. The first property seller (the developer) is the one who makes an HOA. As a condition of the purchase, you agree that you will only sell in the future based upon the encumbrances on the house.

I am not sure what happens if you buy a house in an HOA area (as a resale) and refuse to sign the HOA documents. I am not sure if anyone can force a new buyer to agree to the docs. With the original developer, they simply wont sell the house to you if you refuse.

But in the current economy, I could see people selling even if someone refused to sign the HOA documents. I think that is an interesting legal question.

20. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I've never dealt with an HOA, so I'd be interested to know the answer to that legal question too. I do know that the term mandatory gets thrown around a lot. I belonged to one mandatory union, but opted out. I was still required to pay some dues, but maybe I should have pursued it more. You hear all the time about mandatory vaccines, but opting out is an easy option.

I might guess that a continually declining economy will erode the teeth in mandatory HOA membership.