close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I LOATHE my HOA!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J.Kill, Oct 13, 2012.

1. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I actually feel sorry for you and your mentality that says you are entitled to all these guarantees. I've read your other posts. You want to fine motorists running out of gas because you think you're entitled to commute to work unimpeded. You want regulation so Fed Ex doesn't deliver you an overly warm bottle of wine.

It seems that you don't have the ability or the elbow grease to run your own life, so you think government and quasi-government bodies should fill the gap.

2. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Bless his heart.

3. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

You had prior knowledge that any car parked on the street MUST have a parking permit or else it will be towed. It got towed...bad on you.

My HOA sucks because it does NOT enforce parking rules (or any rules for that matter), and my block looks like a freaking trailer-park. I paid over a half a million dollars to live on Tobacco Road..wanna trade?:dunno:

4. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I have no sympathy for anyone that lives in a HOA neighborhood. Y'all deserve the grief you get from those petty dictatorships. Paying property taxes is bad enough. I'll be damned if I would live anywhere my neighbors could tell me how to live.

5. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

If that is what you call "the real world", then count me out. I don't live near any neighbors, I cut my grass when I want, and I put whatever I want in my yard. I'll be damned if you or anybody else is going to tell me what I can do and when I can do it so that your snooty little estate 'keeps it's value'.

If I were to live near people like you, I'd let my grass grow 3 ft high just to piss you off.

You still have not given me or anyone else here a valid reason as to why you have a say so in what other people do with their homes or property. Unless they were stupid enough to sign a contract with an HOA that you belong to, you have no say so whatsoever. Just like your neighbors may choose to not mow their lawns, you also had the choice of not living near others.

People need to learn how to mind their own business instead of sticking their noses elsewhere. But, I've come to the conclusion that people who like HOA's are nosy *** people anyway, so it suits them perfectly. If you lose sleep at night over what your neighbor's yard or house looks like, I seriously pity you.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Omg I just agreed with you :supergrin:

7. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i thank god everytime i read about a HOA that i have over 100 acres and can do whatever i want on my land . ive always lived in the sticks and value the quiet and no neighbors , ive met people who like HOA living and they are all the same in my observations ,

they ***** about petty things
    so uptight they could **** a lump of coal
    and pretty much a group of people i have no interest in being around

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

And with a few keystrokes, my trust and faith in gravity, natural law, and all things irrevocable has been shattered. :crying::crying:

:rofl:

9. frizz

frizz

Government? These are private contracts. Nobody forces you into a HOA.

Why do you hate freedom?

10. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant

I wouldn't choose to live in HOA property because I don't like the idea of asking anyone what color I can paint my house, having to cut my grass on a schedule, or needing visiter stickers.

If you choose to live with an HOA and by the rules they've established, more power to you. But I don't think it's something that could work for me.

Hell, neighborhoods are looking drab nowadays. Maybe we need some colorful houses.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Just admit it already. You spent some portion of your life living near the sea in the Caribbean/West Indies/Belize or Mexico/Central America! :rofl::rofl:

12. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

I drive a full size truck, and I rarely pull into a spot. I almost always back in. That would take some getting used to.

13. groundhawg

groundhawg

Not sure if it's still warn where you live but if your "friend" in the HOA were to leave his windows down you might "borrow" his little yellow sticker and then "drop a dime".
    Ps din't read the whole thread so sorry if this is a repeat idea.

14. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Obviously. Probably the kind of person who would cut someone off in traffic and go slow just to prove they can.

He has, you're just not listening and are the type of person to do something to make someone miserable just out of spite.

And this is not a city/country thing. I gew up in TX and the SE in the country (and never in an HOA). We had a phrase for people who let their houses look like crap.......

15. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

I live in one..

A gated-community of less than 40 homes set in a cedar forest...atv trails to to the river below the ridgeline...really great place..

Te HOA is not overbearing, the cost is $400/yr which pays to mow lots that haven't been built on, common areas, fix the security cameras (which recognize digits, even infrared in the dark, read and log plates)' fix gates and fix roads if need be..

The HOA is very reasonable, with no ridiculous rules or sanctions, loke no restrictions about what you plant, if your garage is open or not etc...and everyone has an acre or more

Every resident gets a spreadsheet with address, phone number and email addresses of every other resident. I LOVE THIS and it makes for a neighborhood with no strangers.

The rules that would affect most people (the ones that affect me are):

-3000 sf minimum for single story, 3500 double story minimum, brick or rock construction only

-no rv's or boats parked in the driveway or on the curb for more than 1 week at a time (if you needed longer, an exception would be made)

-external structures (shed etc..) must be built or look like your house ( at a minimum, a brick fascia on the front of the shed

- no fences in front yards, back fences can only be of black (see thru) wrought iron

-no burning of yard refuse ( but you can have a firepot, so most of us just burn incrementally in our firepits and call it a campfire)

-pets must be fenced in the back or confined with underground electric fence

-each resident has an individual code to the gate and it must NEVER be given out. Guest can call from the gate with a keypad, and homeowners can open the gate with a code on their phone

Even LE doesn't have a code, but has to run a particular tone of siren for a full 3 seconds at the gate and the system will open the gate.

Other than the (no burning of yard refuse), I really like that the home sizes/prices, the secure gate etc...keeps the riff raff out and the neighborhood is awesome..

HOA's do serve a useful purpose and as long as they're not overbearing, I think they're a good idea.

My last house was an equivalent house off a county road, and weekly I had to clean up cups, cans, bottles outside my property lime along the road. Soooo....glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Everyone in this neighborhood takes care of and cares about the neighborhood.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  16. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Actually, from reading the thread, it's apparent that you don't get it. Comparing HOAs to communism is just laughable.

17. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Lol! Guilty. Lived 10 years on St. Croix, U.S.V.I.

18. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Bad analogy. You're obviously still not getting it. When I cut MY grass doesn't effect YOU, no matter how you spin it.

Again, if the length of a neighbor's grass makes you miserable, I pity you. I think when people complain about other's lawns, they should go over and offer to cut it themselves and stop pissing and moaning.

And we have a phrase for those men I see outside every Sunday spraying Miracle Gro on their 'lawns' while their wife barks orders at them. It's no better than the phrase you used either.

19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Sounds lie you didn't follow the rules! If a sticker was required,
    & you received warnings, you deserve the tow bill.
    Sad but true, read the HOA rules, follow them, no problems.
    Ignore many warnings, get your car towed,.....no pity from me.

20. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Here's my guess, your HOA has subcontracted the parking sticker validation duty to a towing company. The tow truck driver comes in and looks for anything and everything that doesn't have a sticker and tows it. It's not in the towing companies interest to give you any warning. That's not how they make money.

We have an HOA here, but they are great. Fees are only $300 per year and the HOA runs the marina for a profit covering most of our neighborhood expenses. No trashy houses, everything runs smooth and I, personally, have never gotten a warning on anything. I wouldn't have it any other way.