close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I LOATHE my HOA!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J.Kill, Oct 13, 2012.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

It is precisely that simple.

2. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

It's the same mentality. In the OP, it was about a parking sticker, and people want to defend it. Property values aren't going to tank because the OP didn't get a sticker the first minute he could.

My coworker made grass cutting his issue. To hear him go off about his neighbors and their game of cat and mouse proved what a jerk he really was. Others make other petty things their issue. An American flag is often an issue.

But it still a bunch of busy bodies trying to have power over someone else, and using "property values" as their Holy Grail and justification. Most of the things people get so worked up over don't have the first thing to do with property values to begin with.

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

And I have no interest in living near people who won't make a simple commitment to take care of their home.

4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Then you should go live far away from everybody.

5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Funny, I'm not in a HOA and everyone still takes care of their property. Weird.

6. NorthCarolinaLiberty

Seems you do too.

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

You make some decent points.

However, even a few homes with junk/dirty/crapped out cars, overgrown lawns or home disrepair, do negatively impact home values.

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Do you even realize how incredibly stupid that comment is in context?

9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Sure. It's not you and the 90% of us who have a little pride and take care of our stuff. It's the 10%, maybe 5%, who don't I want insulation from.

10. TK-421

TK-421

It really depends on where you live. Back when I was growing up, we lived in a decent area. It was the richest town in the state, with the lowest crime rate, and was rated as one of the greatest towns to raise your kids in the whole state. Granted, we weren't as rich as most people in that town, we were solidly middle class. Had enough money to get buy and be comfortable, but couldn't buy every little extra thing we wanted. We weren't part of an HOA, but everybody kept their lawns mowed, their cars and houses clean, the kids were good and generally well behaved, as much as kids can be. Sometimes you get a good place, sometimes you don't.

Personally, as long as the rules aren't totally retarded, I wouldn't be against living in an HOA area, as most of the stuff that would be required I would already be doing, and it would be nice if everybody did the same. However, I would stay FAR away from the morons who don't let kids play in the yards, or sue families who try and build play houses in the back yard for their kids.

11. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

No. I should do precisely what I am doing, live in a neighborhood with a strong but narrowly focused HOA.

12. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

or he could choose to live by people who do not define their "personal freedom" as the right to live in a craphole, and have agreed in writing to respect their neighbors.

The simple act of agreeing to it is 90% of it. I have never owned a home NOT in an HOA and I have never seen a neighbor fined, summonsed, towed or marched into a cattle car and taken to the ovens by the HOA stormtoopers.

In general the type of people who agree to live by the rules are the type to follow the rules.

I like my placeto look nice, I like to live near people who like their places to look nice. Someone who says "I ain't agreein to no rules!!!" is typically not the kind of person to keep teir place up. Otherwise they'd say (like me and folks like .264) "well sure I'll agree to that, I would have done all that anyway".

13. NorthCarolinaLiberty

The fact that you don't even get it speaks volumes about the insidiousness of the mentality.

14. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

OK, so you don't get it.

15. NorthCarolinaLiberty

Or he could choose to make better business decisions over his mentality of cradle to grave guarantees.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

17. mixflip

mixflip

I will say this in spite of this one issue (my truck getting towed) Heck its paid in full ($70,000) so there is an upside for us at least.

My HOA does keep the property clean and fixes anything broken quickly. They have locks on the pool and gym to keep out the kids from the outside neighborhoods. We have great security guards from Allied Barton that actually are awake and walk the property to deter crime. The entry gates are nice even though they probably dont stop anybody from piggy backing in. Oh and I dont know exactly how scientific or politically correct it is but we somehow keep out the low life thug types. Maybe thugs dont like to pay more than their welfare check? lol

Its been nice other than this one day. Like I said they did pay the bill with no argument so my HOA must be one of the better ones.

When its time to buy, it will be an acre or more with a well, out of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  18. J.Kill

J.Kill

Yes... You have to get temporary passes for anyone parking overnight and write name, address and phone number on a piece of paper and leave it on the dash "in case".

I almost got a $50 fine for backing in to a parking spot... That's right... You're not allowed to back into parking spots.

19. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I get it alright. You choose the value of material things through communal contracts. I value property rights and some basic individualism. We simply value different things and have different political philosophies.

20. TK-421

TK-421

That's the kind of overbearing HOA that I couldn't stand to live under.