close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I LOATHE my HOA!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J.Kill, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

HOA, not for me!
    Just repainted our house and didn't have to ask anyone for permission.

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Get involved with your HOA and provide some balance to their decision making. I'd guess that your fellow members may have had the same experience. In my HOA, they can't do anything until they notify the home owner when someone from the board verifies the situation exists. They try to take care of it internally. Usually it's about RV's being parked in driveways, but it still comes down to someone complaining, and that's rare during camping season..

3. mixflip

mixflip

What a coincidence. I just woke up to my new F150 4x4 gone this morning too. The contracted tow company towed it even though I had an HOA issued sticker.

My HOA ran out of stickers that said my complex's name so they issued me a generic pass that just said "visitor".

Well, the towing company was told it was a fake by one of the HOA managers (not the same guy who issued it to me) and this guy approved them to tow it.

Towing fees are $336. Since it was towed on a friday there is an after hours fee of $65 a day. HOA is closed til monday.

After I ripped someone a new A-hole over the phone I miraculously got my truck back free of charge!!! The HOA ate the $336 towing fee believe it or not lol. I guess my verbal judo skills are strong? Normally you have to pay the towing fee and fight the HOA for reimbursement.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Yeah, one thing I've always looked for when buying a house is NO HOA. Even if they start out helpful they won't stay that way.

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

HOAs. More government for people who just can't get enough.

6. jp3975

jp3975

How can they justify towing a vehicle like that?

What if your parents or friends are visiting? They can expect to walk outside to a missing car?

If I just bought a new car and they had it towed, Id be pissed. The responsible party would probably be getting a locking gas cap installed on their car.

They might also get their sticker scratched off at night and find their car towed in the morning.

7. RenoF250

RenoF250

Chain the axle to a post on the side the passenger side. :whistling:

8. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Yeah, sorry...you're not convincing anyone. HOA's aren't worth a damn even if you pay $1 a month.

$175/month to be an inmate? :rofl: :rofl:

9. Keoking

Keoking

10. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I wish it was not dark, I would take a picture right now to show you the difference between HOA and non-HOA.

I live in a small 'hood of nice newer homes on 3-5 acre lots, immediately north of us is an older 'hood with NO HOA. Half nice homes and half absolute crapshacks, the one directly behind me has 4 undtended Great Danes, 3 5th wheels, 3 corvettes in various stages of decay, a bradley GT that is 8-0% rust, several chodey Harleys, 4 "utility trailers" that all look like poop and assorted other white trash accoutrements scattered about the 5 acres.

You may have your opinions about HOA's, but some are good and some are bad, but one thing is a FACT: most people are inconsiderate lazy a-holes if left to thier own devices, and you cannot pick your neighbors. Better to have a set of rules to govern the place.

11. sappy13

sappy13

I cant stand HOA's, they are like nazis.

12. Trapped_in_Kali

Trapped_in_Kali

The HOA is a big reason I got rid of my condo! We had an LAPD Captain who we had to sue every year for her unpaid dues (she would show up in uniform & pay 1/2 every year).

13. Ragnar

Ragnar

My neighborhood has an HOA, but I don't. My house was the first one built in the development. No paperwork in my closing docs for an HOA. So when they told me my garden shed wasn't good I told them to pound sand. And they left me alone after that. BWAHAHAHAHA!

14. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

He shouldn't have to provide anything. He's 100% correct.

15. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Chris Matthews... is that you?

Sounds like an Obamanite.

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

It's not your business what your neighbor's yard or house looks like. They have a right to be a "lazy a-hole" if they choose.

17. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

sez someone's lazy a-hole neighbor.

18. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

A. The OP should be pizzed no one deserves to be screwed over like that.

B. So far as home values go:
    1. Our last home was in a strong HOA neighborhood. The sister neighborhood, an early split off actually, sported values consistently 8-13% less yay.
    2. Regarding our new, actually old, home we pay $210 mo. for HOA dues. That gets us 24x7x365 off duty Dallas PD as security and they drive around in DPD squad cars. Crapped out cars are towed within hours. Unkept lawns are mowed with a bill sent to the homeowner. It's awesome. As I've mentioned several times we live in a neighborhood of older large homes on on large lots. One or two idiot neighbors could really hurt home values - that's simply not a problem with the HOA. Within a dense town I'd never consider owning a home in the $1 million and up range without an HOA. It'd be just too easy for one jackass to cost me $50K or $100K or a delayed sale etc.

Having volunteered on two HOA boards I can tell you without hesitation that most of the HOA horror stories we hear are whole-cloth BS or great exaggerations.

19. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

That sucks. Do visitors get towed as well? Or do you have to get temporary passes and notify them?

20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Totally wrong. When the a-hole is costing me home value it is my business.