Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot well with them.

I see no reason to change them, but I read here many do.

Other than a desire to tinker, why do it?

·
The Quick
729 Posts
So you can see 'em when it's dark.

·
Meatless Member
210 Posts
Because they are made of less-than-durable plastic and far more prone to drop or bump damage than more expensive custom sites.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Originally posted by jimmy da wuss
Because they are made of less-than-durable plastic and far more prone to drop or bump damage than more expensive custom sites.
Just the front one. I haven't broken the rear ones yet :)
You can replace the front with a GLOCK steel (screw on rather than stake) for about $15...

·
Meatless Member
210 Posts
Originally posted by remat
Just the front one. I haven't broken the rear ones yet :)
You can replace the front with a GLOCK steel (screw on rather than stake) for about $15...
You are correct, sir.

I will add, on a personal note, that trying to line up a dot in the middle of that jacked-up goal post makes me freaking cross-eyed. How's that for a reason? :supergrin:

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Stock Glock sights are just fine if that is what you like. The one thing I have found, is that someone at the factory does not always set the front sight retaining pin as far as it can go. In my opinion, this is where all the bump and flying off during shooting stories come from. You can tell a well set front sight by how hard it is to pull off when you are replacing it. After feeling the difference between some, I started doing some investigating and found that by setting the pin all the way in, it became pretty hard to pull that front sight. Seat the pin all the way, and run with it. I doubt you will have problems. I bought a rental G22 with about 5000 rounds through it according to the range I bought it from. That was since the gun was rebuilt by Glock. I don't know if they put new sights on it when they rebuilt it, but it still has the stock sights since rebuild. The gunsmith at the range said he never had to change or replace them since getting it back from Glock. They are still there and they are still secure.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
*QUOTE*

Sights are not needed.

In a SD situation the distances are short 7-10 yds.. If you can't hit by instinctive point shooting at that distance you need more practice.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Originally posted by Duck of Death
*QUOTE*

Sights are not needed.

In a SD situation the distances are short 7-10 yds.. If you can't hit by instinctive point shooting at that distance you need more practice.
Not to mention, that if it is sooooooo dark that you can't even see your sights, that means you can't see your target, and you shouldn't be shooting anyway.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For some reason a lot of people are down on the ssights Glock furnishes us. There are many sights yoou can pay over $100 for and then pay somebody to install for you. I purchased a complete set of polimer 2 sights for $16.00 including shipping. Then I broke down and bought a $60 sight pusher that will handle small and large frames.

·
Banned
13,710 Posts
EXACT same boat here!

I like the stock Glock sites. I have upgraded the sites on both of my P228s and with a G17 on the way, I am debating.

Can we get factory installs like at the Sig factory?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I shoot all my Glocks with stock sights, and have no problems with them at all. When I was a LEO, and carried a G22 for Duty and G23 for off, the stock sights were just fine. I have never dropped one of my glocks, and have never had a need to replace them. I bought one used that had fiber optics on it but did not shoot it any better than the others.

Rusty

·
Hoplophilic Doc
314 Posts
You're not the only one.
I've ALWAYS preferred the stock Glock sight picture over all others, tried over a period of more than two decades, and on nine different Glocks.
Polymer construction aside (I like the stock Glock steel sights with the rear sight notch opened up to the very edges of the white box), I find the sight picture to be just about ideal.
Sight pictures are an individual preference issue, of course, and many who post here seem to dislike the Glock sight picture, but
that big white dot in the big white box is actually easier and faster for me to pick up and automatically align than any other sight pattern I've tried on Glocks, including the Ashley Big Dot and regular dot, the Heinie standard and Straight Eight sights (even with the rear sight notch opened up), Meprolights, Trijicons and a number of others.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I thought I was a decent shot at first, but after installing the night sights my shooting improved quite a bit. I went with the Ameriglo operators with the thin front blade. The stock front sight blocked everything within the rear notch, but with the thin blade I have found that I can be much more precise. Being able to see around the front blade made a big difference.

But yes, I had $100 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to tinker.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The hardest part about changeing out stock Glock sights is getting the plastic package the new sights came in open...

Seriously, it takes about five minutes :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
The stock front sight is too fat, IMHO. But some people shoot very well with them. Robin Taylor, who wrote a book about Glocks in competition, uses Glock steel sights. And he usually beats me. I do like the rear "goal post" sight, though. A fiber optic dot in a thin front sight almost majically settles into that notch.

And you do need good sights on your self defense handgun, btw. If you can't use sights, you're not a well-rounded shooter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems strange to me that a lot of people fuss about the 'plastic sights' on a Glock...

Uh, what's the bottom half of a Glock? You know, that plastic part?:supergrin:

·
Registered
119 Posts
im up in the air on this.. thinking about putting the trijicon sights on my g21 but have factory night sights on my recently purchased g19

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.