close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I know why unemployment is so high.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DaneA, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Kozel

Kozel

Since you only had to put condom on a banana (without bumps that is) now I am totally certain that Citizen of Dreams could fieldstrip an AK faster then you could put condom on cucumber. All those bumps would slow you down so much.

2. pugman

pugman

While I agree what is being produced by public schools today is pathetic; I dont' think its so much the dumbing down of America as what passes for skilled has changed a lot.

I've seen coworkers who can't remember simple commands on some of our platforms yet they can remember the name of every weapon, damage, range, etc of some role playing game.

They can't drive well (they drive for lunch every once in a while) but can play some driving video game like the wind.

They don't play any sports or work out but are the masters of Madden football.

And this just isn't video game based. My nephew, a somewhat shy kid, has a pretty small group of flesh and blood friends but has 1600 on facebook?

So we have a whole generation of people who have the hand/eye coordination of a machine when it comes to Halo but ask them to hit a ball, swing a hammer or drive a car and forget about it.

Hell, look at some of the "jobs" today: personal shopper, professional blogger, video game reviewer?

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I bow to your extensive experience at putting condoms on things other than yourself.

4. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

For many stores, it's an entry-level position with potential. With no skills at all, you can learn to be a cashier, become proficient, go to head cashier and possibly later to some level of management. Add in some school while you're working and success is quite likely.

5. AWoods

AWoods

Every job opens up potential for the future. Customer service is still a very important skill. Even in the IT dept, being able to deal with customers and make sure they are satisfied puts you heads above most people.

6. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

It's all economics. You can't buy a Lexus for a Yugo price. You can't buy top notch labor for broom pusher pay. No one is "entitled" to cheap labor. If Republicans could get a grip on that simple concept, Obama would have never had a first term, much less a second term. Somewhere between illegal alien pay and CEO pay will be your perfect employee.

7. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Sounds like the pay is what the market will bare.

8. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Very true. But the employer is the one who has to decide if he wants a Lexus or a Yugo. If he needs a good strong F250, That'll be a bit more than a Yugo and quite a bit less than a Lexus. The reliable and ultra efficient Prius fits another need but is also more than the Yugo and less than the Lexus. Too many expect the Yugo to do the job of an F250 as efficiently as a Prius while riding like a Lexus and then beach and moan that it doesn't.

I had a lady in a new $2.6 million dollar two story condo in a highrise offer me $20 to stop by after hours to make a minor adjustment to a computer in her building. The company I work for wanted $300 for the hour's work. She said that was an outrage. I couldn't help but wonder what she charged an hour for whatever service she provides that afforded her to live in such a residence a couple of months out of the year when she wasn't in NY at her primary residence all the while thinking $300 an hour is an outrage. She called back a couple of weeks later to have the $300 service performed. She'll really soil her silk when she loses her key fob to her Mercedes! The entitlement mentality is far from limited to the bottom feeders.

9. FLGatorFan

FLGatorFan

So basically we're in agreement. I don't know much about retail but I believe management usually requires a college degree unless you're talking about a mom and pop kind of place.

10. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I've worked for millionaires and billionaires, and they vary widely in their attitudes toward money and entitlement. I recall one extremely wealthy man I worked for recently. He hired me to build cabinets at his daughter's house. I gave him a thorough estimate to build what he requested, and he cut out 80% of it.

His reason? "It's too expensive, as he is on a fixed income". I Could have punched him. He has a huge beachfront house in Barbados, another in London, and his house here, among others. I don't think it crossed his mind that I would investigate the backgrounds of my potential clients. To add further insult, he wanted to cut my estimate down even further by attempting to convince me to use cheaper materials and hardware.

We ended up doing a small portion of the original quoted work. It makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted with that liar.

In contrast, I built a house (as a carpenter, not the GC) a little over 10 years ago that is currently on the market for $26,000,000. The owner spared no expense, everyone made good money, and all was well. No "fixed income" BS.

11. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

That's a perfect example of one of those top-of-the-page :shocked: posts that has you backing up to see HTF the conversation got to this point.

12. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Do you know how many half-way house residents, furlough felons and other assorted criminal trash work in restaurants?

The time I spent working on the corrections side has been invalueable.

13. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Yes, in only 5-10 years you can be making a whopping $30k per year! :rofl:

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I vaguely remember you trying to sell me all kinds of stuff I didnt need. You thought your high pressure sales tactics would work on me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I've noticed the same thing over the past 32 years. Some are very nice, reasonable and generous. I was on the phone with a multimillionaire yesterday discussing a situation in one of his buildings that needs to be corrected during regular working hours Monday. He and his wife are from London and their accents are captivating. I go out of my way to accommodate customers like them. The others? Well, it's business and we provide a high end service. Our shareholders expect a handsome profit just like they do.

16. Kozel

Kozel

Keep doing that.

While I was learning how to fieldstrip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes you were taught how to put condom onto things it did not belong to be on and you still bow down to my condom use skills!

Very nice of you!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  17. Aux Bear

Aux Bear

I nearly drowned in my coffee laughing at that one! Bonus Points Awarded! Now I've gotta go change my shirt....

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

It's not that simple. The education that students at top public schools receive is better than it has ever been. I took multivariable calculus in high school. In many ways, the US is smarter than ever.

The issue is that lots of people who would have flunked out of high school 40 years ago are being passed along from grade to grade without being required to learn anything.

19. DaneA

DaneA

Apparently you either have never worked in retail or just weren't smart enough to move up. I just had a guy that had been with the company less than 2 years with 0 retail experience when he started go from $8.50/hr to 45k/year plus bonus. Retail is one of the few industries left that someone without a college degree can excel. I know many store managers and district managers that do not have a college degree but run great stores and districts.

No Idiot Left Behind. Good idea, horrible execution.

20. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I made it to advanced algebra. Never thought I'd use it. Now I use it quite often. I thought very highly of my government school algebra teacher. Loved math. Hated literature. School took a turn in '72.

The same people who are being passed along from grade to grade are being raised by parents being passed along from house to house with you and I paying 70% of their rent while they run down our neighborhoods. Society took a turn in '68.