I know vets have to make money but.....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by WIMPY, Aug 9, 2007.

1. WIMPY

WIMPY

The vet started my old dog on a new Rx for his hips. After about 4 days the Rx was working & I called to price a larger quanity- got 10 to see if they worked. 30 tabs was going to be $130 at the vets. On line I bought 60 for $95 including shipping. I would not mind paying the vet a little more but this seemed totaly out of line.

2. sparky1

sparky1 Guest

I understand your frustration but you have to remember a few things. First the vet has overhead. Insurance, employees, electric, gas, insurance, business licenses, inventory, insurance...
    The on-line pharmacy has low overhead with a smaller staff, no inventory, no showroom/office. You might be getting cheap drugs from China or some other third world stink hole.
    I have been in your shoes with a diabetic cat 5 years ago. I tried the on-line drugs and the drugs were shipped in old boxes and I could tell the drugs were old stock. Dirty bottles.
    Be careful what you give your best friend!

3. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Ever taken your car to a mechanic? works the same way. Not really the Vets fault. Not trying to get down on you or anything. I do the same thing.

4. speck

speck

Since I'm dating a vet student ...

Most vet students who don't have grants (or whose mommies and daddies can't afford to put them through vet school come out of school with close to $100k in debt. Then, either they need to shackle themselves to a big corporation like Banfield (at barely $45 to $50 k a year to start), or they have to take the risk of starting their own clinic -- buying equipment (X-ray machines, drugs, computers, staff...) at their own risk, plus other expenses like malpractice and liability insurance... the costs of which are starting to look a lot like insurance costs for human doctors. It's a tough business to be in, even if it is a growing market segment.

Support your local veterinarians and get great value and service as opposed to supporting some anonymous internet whomver and getting dubious quality.