I-Killed-UBL-And-Now-I'm-Unemployed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Fed, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Not surprised! I know a Special Forces guy who just got bored with life in general. He even worked for the Secret Service and said it was boring and terrible work. He retired from a factory a few years ago. Can't imagine going from 100 miles a minute career to a 5mph boring stateside job. He was in Cambodia before it was Cambodia. How would you adjust? SF is much different than being Drafted and just wanting to get home ASAP.

2. The Fed

The Fed

I worked on a project with a guy who liaised with SO's. The ones he talked to didn't trust anyone but one of their own. I can't even imagine how you can go from that directly to a civilian life. The Services should be required to wean you off it gradually by giving you more more off-mission time so you are more like a regular soldier by the time you retire. You can help plan missions and gather intel instead of being the tip of the spear. But then they would be taking their most highly trained out of service early. I'm thinking that's never done. As a GI you're just a tool, and they don't throw away a tool until it's too dull to perform.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

He had 16 years in. I wonder why didn't he stay for the last 4?

WP

4. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

My BIL has adjusted to outside life pretty well. When he got out, he went back to being a youth pastor. Then, due to circumstances out of his control, he took a job as a drug rep for Pfizer for a few years, then worked contracts for a company that sold former US Military vehicles/equipment to foreign governments. He just quite that job to go back to working in his church full-time. He did a lot of his SF time as a reservist (AFAIK), so maybe his transition back to full-time civilian life was a bit easier?

As far as the SEAL goes, I'd think he'd be able to do security consulting without touching a weapon, and probably get paid pretty well for it.

5. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Nonsense! Obama killed OBL and got a 2nd term for it!

6. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

From reading "No Easy Day", it's interesting to read that article for a more complete understanding of what those guys sacrifice for the job.

It's sad, but that guy also only had 36 months left before he could retire, so I wonder what prompted him to not stay another 3 years and get his retirement benefits.

7. sappy13

sappy13

I just picture just about any civilian job being very boring once you have come from a career like that. Its a shame he didnt finish up his 20, he was so close.

8. The Fed

The Fed

Probably was too screwed up? Just found this.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=B71D5A13-F6C6-4A75-92B5-B34B14A666AF

9. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

If the internet can raise 800K for a grandma that was talked down to by some punks, I imagine we could raise enough to be invested for him so he does not have to worry about the rest of his life.

10. Kona2004

Kona2004

Another good read is Fearless, about Adam Brown. Just finished it last week. He went from being a crack head and felon to member of DEVGRU. The list of injuries he sustained are unreal. He actually had to have an eye removed from an being hit by a simunitition in a training accident and then had to learn to become a marksman left handed because he couldn't see out of his right eye.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Who quits that close to 20?

Who doesnt know what will happen if you quit without making it to 20?

Something doesnt add up.

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Why?? He chose not to stay in long enough to collect retirement benefits. Now he is whining about it.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

This illustrates just one of the stupid things about the current 20-years-to-being-fully-vested military retirement policy.

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

Is this guy so stupid that he didn't know that once you're out, there are no benefits?

He can go to any VA hospital and get treated for free. Not his family, though.

Like Rabbi said, it doesn't add up.

15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Im sure there are more details not covered in the story but one very unfortunate truth is that many veterans are getting out and struggling to re-enter society. Either it be work or school or even retiring on disability. The 100mph to 5mph is difficult for many. Plus varies other factors like PTSD, lack of comradery, they feel like their not making the same kind of difference/finding meaning and many other reasons.

One major problem is that there is a TAP (Transitional Assistance Program) that is suppose to help out processing veterans but from base to base this is run differently. So in turn one solder gets a 1 week course on resume writing, job seeking assistance and other good info.....while another gets a quick 2 hr out processing briefing with some pamphlets and thats it. This is some of the things I leaned/experienced as I have helped and met several veterans that have had this happen to them in and out of my time working with a non profit group helping veterans and at a college veterans' clubs.

:50cal:

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

Assuming this SEAL is mentally OK, there is no reason for him to be unemployed. Any security firm or even LE agency would be glad to have him.

17. Mayhem like Me

I think you missed the Point when he said he didn't want to carry a gun anymore.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. Mayhem like Me

You are correct and that it doesn't add up but think about the stress on this guy he didn't just cap anyone it was public enemy number 1 for the whole United States.

19. Mayhem like Me

Giving his inner most feelings to a guy writing a story is not whining I didn't see him on Oprah.