close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I kept the telemarketer on for over 30 mins.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Vic777, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Vic777

Vic777

I kept the telemarketer on for over 30 minutes, a new record! I didn't record the exact start time so I'm not sure of the exact call length but it was over thirty minutes, he hung up when I couldn't stop laughing as I knew I was making a personal best. Something to do when you're surfing, just make sure you turn your computer volume off and find an excuse for the keystrokes, tell him you're trying to find your credit card number or something.

This is a good sport, maybe a little mean as these people are trying to make a living, but they're also trying to rip you off.

There's a real technique to keeping these guys on the line, they have to think you're a sucker with money.

Once when I knew a guy was going to hangup I begged him to stay on for another minute, he said, " Why?"

I told him I was going for a new personal best ....LMAO!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I just hang up on them immediately- I'm not interested in wasting 30 seconds of my life much less 30 minutes on some telemarketer drone who has zero to do with the actual company.

3. frank4570

frank4570

Nice! I engage in this sport sometimes myself. I think my record is about 20 minutes for the vitamin pack salesman.

4. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

But... But they are just people who are trying to do their job and feed the family!

Nah, just kidding. I have no sympathy for telemarkerters. To them, I am just a number in the automatic dialer. To me, they are scumbags who waste my time.

5. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

I did the once a few years back. Kept the lady on for about 30 or 40 minutes. We talked about her children, what she majored in college, what she would think about if she moved to Florida (how we got to that point, I have no clue).

Finally she says her supervisor is watching her and that she needs to close the sale. I tell her I need to talk to my wife and asked if she could call back tomorrow (Saturday) so we could close the deal. She was so eager, she booked a time and everything.

The next day we just sat next to the phone waiting for it to ring. When it did....we left the house. Too fun.

6. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

When I get junk mail in the mailbox, and it has a paid return envelope, I cut out coupons (pizza, or whatever), and send it back to them. I rarely see them send another piece of junkmail to me.

7. Bucknasty

Bucknasty

It may come as a surprise, but you could have left the house at anytime. They don't know if you're home or not. But I guess if your time is worthless enough to talk to a telemarketer about her kids, staring at a phone all day isn't bad.

8. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I think that's sorta like seeing how long you can stay in an argument with a special-ed kid.

9. nursetim

nursetim

Playing flaming gay works well for guys. It got rid of a predatory creditor for me once.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

On the other hand, the telemarketer kept you on for 30 minutes you'll never get back. Impressive.:upeyes:

11. JMS

JMS 02

We finally agree on something :wow:

12. Chiefret

Chiefret

Classic telemarketer pranking.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s898wpcgcJM"]Tom Mabe Murder Scene Prank Call - YouTube[/ame]

13. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

And I guess yours is worthless enough to be snarky on an internet board. :cool:

14. racer11

racer11

I play with them all the time,,, I enjoy the calls and the entertainment they provide. I try to keep them on as long as I can or piss them off as much as I can. One time I had one calling me back for several days because I made him so mad.

I will never list myself on the do not call list for this reason.

15. happy seal

happy seal

Kevin Nealon does this wonderfully, and FUNNY!

16. Vic777

Vic777

Not really, I was surfing the net etc. and it's tremendous improv practice. It requires just the right amount of give and take in the discussion to keep reeling him in. He wanted me to buy a condo in Miami, we got into a good discussion on when I could obtain a CCW there, then I got him checking to see when the next WPT Poker Tournament would be held in Miami. It requires a lot of skill to appear to be a sucker, yet never yield to his credit card checks etc. I'm getting better every time. I let 'em know I'm an old single guy on a large pension and no debts, they then just can't let me go. You should be prepared with a fake name and fake credit cards etc. I give 'em credit card names they have never heard of, tell 'em I also have VISA etc. but want to use my "Hero Points" card. If they ask "what are you typing", just say you're checking your online banking accounts. Eventually the line goes dead. If this gets popular we can kill the telemarketing business ... they go crazy!

17. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

18. frizz

frizz

Even if they are selling legitimate products/services, the "making a living" argument is BS.

A few years back, a telemarketer wrote to Miss Manners about how rude and mean people were to her. Miss Manners politely told her to get bent on the grounds that the telemarketer was being nuisance and deserved what she got.

She closed her reply with an admonishment to find a way to earn a living that doesn't involve annoying people.

19. TK-421

TK-421

I find it amusing to toy with telemarketers, at least when I get live ones. All I ever get anymore on my cell is a recording telling me I won plane tickets. And apparently the home number is on some school list, because we keep getting calls about our kids in school, even though everybody here is 22 or older, with no kids. Either that, or it's a wrong number, which has happened more here, even though I've only been here a year, than it has happened anywhere else that I've lived. I guess we're just one number off from a popular number, or something like that. But I don't get enough telemarketers calling to really hone my skills.

As to the junk mail with the return label someone mentioned earlier, thanks for voicing that one, I'm totally going to keep the coupons I get in the mail just so I have stuff to put into the return envelopes.

20. Bucknasty

Bucknasty

I guess, I'm getting paid to do this.