GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove 2 hours to philladelphia in a Jeep Wrangler in gale force winds and took my GRE. I've been sweating it for a while now and worried about it. I spent 60$ on books to study for it and spent quite a few hours.

It feels like it's been hanging over my head since I decided to go to grad school.

I am excited that was probably the last standardized test I will ever have to take.

Oh I kicked its ass by the way. I got pretty good verbal and qualitative scores. I also feel like I wrote a near perfect essay according to their guidelines.

The process was kind of a bummer, it was sort of like a cross between being arrested and registering for a hotel. They made me empty my pockets and sign things and write statements, they even took a mug shot.:wow::wow:

The flurry of complex qualitative problems after the essays left me mentally numbed for the verbal section.

Who else absolutely hates these tests? It really doesn't have much of anything to do with my major and took away from my time I could have spent doing more useful things. I did really well but I still think standardized tests like this suck.

P.S. The highlight of my day was getting a bacon egg and cheese from a guy in a cart, and it was served in a cheese steak roll!!!! It was AWESOME. I wholly attribute my academic success on this test to the bacon mojo.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I remember really having trouble on the practice tests with the logic section, but lucked out on the real test where I was able to figure all of them out, and aced it. There was one question I was having trouble with, so I skipped it and went on to the next, then had enough time to backtrack and then suddenly a lightbulb went off in my head and I figured it out. "A pipe with valves A-J, where A can never be open with B, B and C must be open together, if A is open, then either D, F, or G must also be open, ..." you get the idea. Ugh. Why'd you have to drive two hours to Philly to take it? No colleges near where you live were offering it? I took it back in 94, I think, so I'm a little out of the loop.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Gonzoso: Best of luck on the score. I know what how draining the testing process can be. I went through dozens of hours of standarized testing to get into law school, graduate, and get my license to practice. Its a great feeling when its over and scores are finally in.

Off topic: Every time I read one of your posts around here you seem like a pretty cool dude. I think you'd be an interesting fellow to have a beer with.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Gonzoso: Best of luck on the score. I know what how draining the testing process can be. I went through dozens of hours of standarized testing to get into law school, graduate, and get my license to practice. Its a great feeling when its over and scores are finally in.

Off topic: Every time I read one of your posts around here you seem like a pretty cool dude. I think you'd be an interesting fellow to have a beer with.

I feel another "bromance" thread about to happen.:rofl:

·
15,495 Posts
I have to use "strategery" when I take standardized tests like the GRE or Miller's Analogies in order to manage the time constraints. I did well enough to get into Boston's graduate program, but my kid really kicked-butt.

Her 760 on the GRE, combined with her interviews, work experience (she was sponsored by her Fortune 25 Company) and undergrad record got her accepted to the following graduate programs: West to East, Stanford, Kellogg's special 1 year executive program, University of Chicago's Booth School, Wharton and Harvard. She elected to go to Stanford as it was the more selective, admitting only 300 as opposed to Harvard's 960, but when she sent her regrets letter to Harvard they responded with a rather substantial non-needs based fellowship. So now she's HBS Class of 2011. (Yes, I'm a proud father, I'm taking her to Europe for a graduation present.)

Best of luck with your score on this very important test, be sure to let us know how you did and which school you're going to attend.

·
Firm member
29,685 Posts
I don't know if they are still around, but I took the GRE course from Stanley Kaplan and did quite well on the test. HH

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember really having trouble on the practice tests with the logic section, but lucked out on the real test where I was able to figure all of them out, and aced it. There was one question I was having trouble with, so I skipped it and went on to the next, then had enough time to backtrack and then suddenly a lightbulb went off in my head and I figured it out. "A pipe with valves A-J, where A can never be open with B, B and C must be open together, if A is open, then either D, F, or G must also be open, ..." you get the idea. Ugh. Why'd you have to drive two hours to Philly to take it? No colleges near where you live were offering it? I took it back in 94, I think, so I'm a little out of the loop.
I took a couple practice tests and they helped a lot. But they didn't prepare me for that down to the wire feeling when you've got like 1 minute to answer each complicated ass math problem.

With most of these problems you don't have time to write them out, it gets messy.

With the new computer adaptive tests as you answer questions correctly it gets harder and harder. You kick one problems ass and the next one is worse, but not as bad as the one after.:shocked: It's a weird feeling because you know you're doing good, but it keeps getting harder and harder.

It would be like winning at a bicycle race where the further you get ahead the steeper the hill keeps getting. Or a better analogy for how I felt at the time is you're swimming to shore and closer you get the current just keeps pulling you out again.

My brain was fried. I ate a good meal and got home and played Nazi Zombies for a few hours to mellow out.:supergrin:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What field are you going into? I'm thinking of going to grad school for history.
I'm pursuing an MS in Biology. Some degrees don't require a GRE score. My school doesn't require a GRE score for an MA in History, just decent GPA and letters of recommendation.

·
Non-broccophobe
13,838 Posts
Okay, I'll be that guy...

The hell's a GRE?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, I'll be that guy...

The hell's a GRE?
It's a hoop you have to jump through to go to grad school. There are a number of companies whose sole reason for existence is based on exams like this.

They test you on all that high school algebra you forgot and then some, geometry, and a lot of big words no one really uses. They also test your ability to clearly state and provide evidence for a point of view on something, as well as the ability to dissect and critique an argument of some sort. Writing is important.

They also charge 160$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts