close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

I just stopped at a local gun shop and I am OUTRAGED!!!

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by HasSpoken, Jun 14, 2002.

1. HasSpoken

HasSpoken SumBody2Luv

OK, thanks for stopping by :) . I went to the barber shop today and on my way home I decided to stop at a local GUN and Pawn Shop here in town. I must say that I doubt anyone can miss it cuz its BRIGHT yellow, but I digress. Well, when I get in there I ask him whats his prices on a G27 and the guy says well, we have a new G26 but now a new g27, BUT we have a baby Glock in .357 for 465 bucks! And folks, u shud have seen it!! It was dirty!! It looked like the previous owner(s) had dragged the thing in the mud and then some! It also looked as it the had used the mag release as a hammer or something! Well, then I ask him how much is it to have a gun transferred from Gun broker. And then he says, it depends on the price of the gun, and i say 455 bucks. He then says, well, "10 percent of the total of the gun and an additional 40 dollars!" And, I m like FOR WHAT?!?!? What is ur tranfer fee and he says its 40 bucks, but then we charge 10 percent for just having the gun in the shop! I WAS PISSED OFF! I ve never heard of something as ridiculous as this! And then he says, "it would be better for u to buy the gun from us...". Has anyone heard of a tranfer fee AND a seperate fee for them having it in their shop for 3 days???

2. badbilly429

badbilly429

haspoken, since i talked to you the other day i realized that i have never heard of anyone having such a problem buying a glock as you. you need to get out of that part of florida you live in man for real!

3. HasSpoken

HasSpoken SumBody2Luv

Billy, I m actually beginning to miss Miami ;Q... I understand the tranfer fee but the 10 percent fee, thats abdurd!! And, he wanted to charge me full retail, plus tax and background. I understand that small businesses need a profit margin to, but with ridiculous prices lke these guys charge, how do they expect to keep loyal customers?

4. badbilly429

badbilly429

its like you said man, they are the only one around that does them so they have you by the cahoneys and they know it! i get transfers done for free from my ffl, or for a 6 pack, but he does them for other people for $15 because he knows if his prices are good people will come back, and they always do.

5. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

Geesh what a rip. A brand new G27 near me is about $500. A G30 about $550. Easy to get too.

6. H-D&GLOCK

H-D&GLOCK Harley Rider

Hey Has Spoken. Living in Monticello, I know the shop you are talking about they are outrageous. Try going to D.L.'s Gun & Pawn and ask for Heath. He helped me out alot when I bought a mini from them not long ago. He knows pistols so maybe he can help you one way or another. They are at 1511 Jackson Bluff Road, 575-7682. The yellow place charges way to much for everything. And this comes from someone that was a pawnbroker in Homestead for 10 years. Let me know if I can help more.

tim

7. HasSpoken

HasSpoken SumBody2Luv

Hey Tim!!

Thanks a lot for the info! I ll be stopping by there mostlikely tomorrow. I think DUCKFSU said it best, "wait till the gunshow in Aug". Man, that guy in the "yellow" ;) pawn shop is off his rockers! I cant believe he told me that BS with a straight face! Ppl like this give the small business person a bad name;t ! I kinda wish we cud all go in for one of those licenses, I figure that within a few years [maybe decades] it will have paid for itself...

8. mt_goodrich

mt_goodrich

This is off topic..but had to tell BadBilly this: You have some of the best avatars.

Okay...having said that...can't add anything to this thread.

9. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

it's rare you'll find a decent gun shop that also has prices to compete with the gun show. wait for the show, good chance you'll pick up a private sale and save money.

10. slick slidestop

slick slidestop

I have NEVER seen a really good deal on anything at a Pawn Shop.

They always try to charge almost new prices for used crap.

I have NEVER seen a good deal on a weapon in a pawn shop.

I can only speak for the ones in my area (few and far between) so I don't mean to make a blanket statement for ALL pawnshops, but the ones in my town suck

11. H-D&GLOCK

H-D&GLOCK Harley Rider

Gunshow in August should be good, but this guy may be able to help with the FFL problem so you can buy it somewhere cheaper. He did not seem to have to many pistols in himself, but he did give me a good deal on a pre-ban mini-14, and a Sony digital camera. Can be good deals in pawnshop, just not that yellow one.

tim

12. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

I was in a shop not too long ago where an old beat up G17 was setting around with a price tag of $499. It did have 2 hi-caps, but the slide was not just scratched but had grooves in it, like someone drug it behind a car. Part of the frame was burnt. The mag well was missing a chunk of plastic on each side(left and right). It looked like it had never been cleaned. Talk about abused and overpriced.

13. Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand No Way to Win

I never do transfers though gun or pawn shops, they all want to rape you on fees as a penance for not buying directly from them. I like to use gunsmiths, most are great guys who don't care because you did not buy from them. They usually just want like $20 bucks for their 5 minutes of filing and placing the call.

14. njl

njl

They're not all bad. Believe it or not, my last 3 purchases have all been ordered from out of town sources and transfered by a local gun & pawn. They charge $15 for the transfer, $5 to call in the background check, and they don't rip me off by charging sales tax on out of state purchases as the first FFL I used did. They also stock and move alot of Glocks. In the course of a few months, all their Glocks rotated out and were replaced by the new extractor models. Last time I was there, the owner told me he was considering becoming an official Glock dealer, but wasn't sure if he wanted the pressure of having to move X or more Glocks in Y time.

HasSpoken...just get your CWP. Then you can easily buy at gun shows or find a more reasonable FFL in a neighboring city and not have to worry about waiting periods.

15. esse

esse

Just a note.... Never, ever pay retail for anything (except food and gas) Make the man an offer, worst it can do is piss him off.