close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I just installed Norton 2006 and everything works great. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ffolkes, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ffolkes

Ffolkes

The new Norton Antivirus seems to be one of the more villified pieces of software out there.

I had way more problems with Norton 2004, skipped 2005 entirely, then tried 2006 and everything is working great. It even found a bug that AVG had happily left sitting on my hard drive for who knows how long.

I must be imagining it but the computer is working faster after the installation than it was with AVG. And I will agree that is unheard of with any Symantec product!

Has anybody else had any problems or lack of problems with the 2006 release?
    __
    ffolkes

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Consider yourself lucky that you even got it to activate.

The Norton Virus brings more work my way than any other PC problem to date.

Have fun paying $40 a year for the definition updates, though. And be sure to have your Credit Card ready if you ever have to call them for support...that's an extra $30 per call!

BTW, Norton Home AV's performance ranking is lower than that of many free scanners. But the Corporate vversion (which includes phone support) is nearly problem free.

That can't be a friggin' coincidence, guy.

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

i can't even tell you to take it out. taking it out is like having a tumor removed, sometimes the buggers malignant.

will you have problems? yes.

will it hurt? yes.

will it be right away? probably not, you're past one of the hardest bits already.

will you curse and scream and bleed and call norton foul names? yes.

will i say i told you so? yes.

4. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

What do you recommend for the average forum browser, music downloader guy??

5. Blue59

Blue59

The corporate and home versions are pretty much the same, the main difference is that the home version automatically installs with all the options on while the corporate version only turns on the simple virus scanning.
    -----
    Antivirus programs are pretty much a crap shoot as to if they will work well, work badly or kill your PC. Check the support forums for any program: they all have problems, they have all shut down PC's.

Before installing any new antivirus, it's a good idea to have a winsock repair program on your hard-drive first. Usually when the network access is broken a winsock repair program can fix that part of it, and the rest you can find out how to get around online.
    ~~~~~

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I recommend Mozilla or Firefox for a browser, Thunderbird for an email client, Trillian for chatting and Avast AV scanner, SpyBot S&D 1.4, and Ad-Aware 1.6 Personal for basic malware protection.

If you have broadband, use a router capable of NAT filtering and TURN IT ON...most HW FW's are turned off by default (this isn't bad--it is for clean installs) and are meant to be activated once the setup is working properly. IPCOP and Smooth Wall are better plans (I have a honeypot/Smooth Wall routerbox on my network's front door) but unless you like dinkin' with Linux, just go the hardware route.

If you have a dialup connection, the XP SP2 firewall is okay; just keep your system patches up to date. It's a lot less likely to cause problems than a 3rd party software FW will be, at any rate. And without a fixed IP addy, you won't be targeted nearly as much as a server, say.

Best of all, these apps are all FREE. Have fun!

7. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

8. Blue59

Blue59

I just bought a 3-license Norton Antivirus pack and the email scanning doesn't work. If you set it to scan incoming emails, it will block the username/password transmit. Norton's Antivirus, Internet Security and Firewall programs all suffer the same problem, and the support pages on the Norton site aren't any help unless you got the whole "Internet Security" suite--because some of the settings it syas to change are only in that full version.
    ------
    I tried *one* of the free ones once (Avast); let's just say it killed my PC that ran fine with Norton 2004 previously. Right after I installed Avast, I tried running Spybot S&D and AdAware scans and those two programs were already *****ed over, with zero definitions.
    So, I am inherently suspicious of the free ones.
    The ONLY time my PC could have gotten anything was during the few moments between when Norton was uninstalled and when Avast was installing and was "connecting online to update". The PC was running ZoneAlarm and was behind a router doing NAT at the same time.
    ~

9. dennis67

dennis67 Voice of reason

I know exactly what you mean about skipping years with Norton.. Only difference on my end is once I started skipping when I expired in 2004, I never went back.

I've been using Kaspersky on the machines in our home and have had very good results with it.

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'm running avast right now. I cant stand McAfee and Nortons is horrible as well. I got a refund on mcafee I ate the 50 from Norton, wasnt worth the hassle.