close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I inherited my Dad's Colt Combat Commander 9MM...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CubanJoe, Apr 2, 2010.

1. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

Gentlemen,

I inherited my dad's Colt Combat Commander (I believe Series 70) last year and I was finally granted permission to post here to gauge interest and acquire info. Let me begin this by saying that my father was NOT a gun enthusiast, he purchased the gun as a protection piece for his jewelry store. I also believe he had not fired this gun in close to 30 years. It was tucked away in his safe, and had he not passed away it would still be in there. I am also not a gun enthusiast, so it will probably sit in a box unappreciated. I won't lie, I read a similar thread where the masses descended on the OP with rage for parting with his dad's gun, but I am pretty sure my father would have wanted me to sell it and put the money to good use either for a renovating project on our new home or into his grandson's college fund.

All of that being said, here are the specs of the piece.

Near Mint Colt Combat Commander 9MM

I believe it is a Series 70 and has probably only been fired a handful of times. There is a single clip and I do not have the box. I have my dad's papers and some ammunition.

If my research here and elsewhere is correct, this gun is worth $1,000 + dollars.

Thank you for your time,

Joe

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

3. Tactical black

Tactical black

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Sorry to hear that your Dad passed away. There's nothing wrong with selling the gun. I hope you get a good price for it. Posting a pic on here will help with price estimates and will probably get you several interested buyers. Good luck.

5. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

Thanks to all who have responded! Here is a pic, I don't know what you guys might want to see, so please feel free to ask for angles and I will quickly accommodate.

Thanks

[​IMG]

6. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Likewise here. Personally, I would hate to see a gun like that go unappreciated. There are lots of guys out there that would love to add it to their collection. I look at it like an adoption. Always remember where it came from and give it all the love you would give to your own. I have given a few 1911s a nice nuturing home.

7. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

Thanks, my dad had two guns, this one and a .38. When he was first diagnosed and going through chemo back in 2004 my Mom made him destroy the .38 and throw the pieces in the Hudson River for fear of what he may do to himself (He was in so much pain). This piece was hidden in a secret compartment in his closet, and when he went into remission, he told her about it.

Then 2 years ago he recurred, and 20 months later he was gone. My mom gave me the gun and asked me to get rid of it...so here we are.

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated.

Joe

8. cgjane

cgjane

Sorry for your loss.

I would keep it, for my dad.

9. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Sorry for your loss. Nice Colt. If I had an extra grand sitting around.... Good Luck in your sale. It shouldn't last long!!!!

10. Wade-19

Wade-19

I lost my father to cancer shortly after my 30th. birthday. He was 58. I have still have most of his guns. He told me one night that if there were any of his guns I did not like or would use that I should trade or sell them for ones that I would. There are some that have been sold, some that may get sold and a few that will NEVER be sold. Good luck in your decision. If you decide to sell the Colt, please pm me your asking price . I would be interested in it .

11. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

As a long time dealer, you should get $1,400++ for the gun. If you post better pics of both sides I can give you a better appraisal. If there is any wear marks, scratches, dings or dent, please include pics of those.

I am not interested in buying it and be assured I will give you an honest appraisal for what it should go for.

12. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

Once again, thanks for all of the kind words. My dad would have sold it had he lived and spent every cent on my son...I have no doubt this is what he would want me to do.

He was a jeweler though, so I know he appreciates when others appreciate good workmanship. I'm pretty sure he had no idea what it was worth, but I do know he would want an aficionado to care for and enjoy it.

Thanks and ill try my hand at some different angles shortly.

Joe

13. glockin-45

glockin-45

Cubanjoe, I to am sorry for you and your family's loss. You already
    explained every thing, so there should be no guilt on your part if you
    should choose to sell it. If you need the money now sell it now. Thats personal, so no responce from you needed. Sounds like you want to sell.
    But if you don't need the money. Try and keep it for your son. What an awsome hand me down.

14. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

glockin - There will always be a need for a little more money, and on my 21st birthday my dad gave me a ring he designed, molded, and made of the Cuban Coat of Arms. I'll pass that on to my son as well. I wouldn't even think of selling the Colt it if it meant anything at all to my dad...

Take care,

Joe

15. samuse

samuse

Sad story. Toss it in the Hudson. I smell a troll.

16. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

Wow, I'm surprised a senior member of the community would be so harsh. Considering they made me wait for months to post, I'll assume you are the very small minority here.

Pics to come.

Joe

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Who made you wait months to post??

18. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. CubanJoe

CubanJoe

I tried posting and responding in a couple of posts and it said I needed to get moderator approval.

I actually messaged a Mod, but they never got back to me either.

On a whim, I logged in this morning...and sure enough I was suddenly able to post.

Joe